Allopathic Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM-UCLA tech

CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the number of D.O. students who generally choose allopathic residencies, and also how easy ( or difficult ) it is to obtain those positions in the match......

I am concerned that if I choose osteopathic medicine, I might find it difficult to match if I choose an allopathic residency.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

from what I understand, it used to be very difficult to get an allopathic residency. However, my LOR came from a neurologists that graduated from CCOM, did a MD residency in neurology at SUNY albany, and is now a very successful practicing neurologists. He did all that in the 80's...

who's got my back on this?

depends on which residency you want.......after talking to many many DO students, they bascially said something less competitive, such as neurology, im, peds, ob/gyn, family practice, path, you wont have any problem, however, it will be a bit more difficult to get optho, ortho, derm, ent..................

nero

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school that you go to and what your LOR's look like. I asked that questions during my interview at TUCOM and was told that 60% of the students from Class of 2001 matched in an allopathic residency. They have allowed their students to do rotations away at places like UCSF, Stanford, Davis and that obviously has had an impact on the allopathic matches since such a high number have been accepted into them. I would call the schools and ask them directly about how many of their graduates have gone into allopathic matches. It is a stat that they should have available, if not already on their websites.

There aren't anywhere close to enough AOA residencies for DO students. As a consequence, a very large number are in MD residencies.

Just to echo above statments, your match will depend on your LOR's, experience, grades, desired field of practice, maybe away rotations, and a little bit of luck. If you're looking at primary care, some of the "best" programs in the country take several DO students. (Of course, the idea of "best' programs is pretty convoluted, and best left to a different thread).

The residency issue was my biggest concern too. I have been satisfied to the point that as a DO school graduate I'll be able to enter any field that I wish, provided I am willing to work for it. Good luck to you.