Almost crashed and burned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had my Transition to Practice Exercise (TPE) which is essentially the mid-term for internship. In the words of the Psychiatrist on the Board I "barely passed." Basically, it is like orals in that you are given a NARSUM and testing data and you have 30 minutes to conceptualize the case and then present it in front of the faculty. My heart rate was about 3 million when I walked in there and they could tell. (They said so in the feedback portion). The main thing I missed was the AXIS II stuff (namely Borderline) and equivocated on PD NOS instead. The truth is, when I read it the first time I thought "this guy's a borderline" but then considered that too easy and proceeded to get lost in the woods. I passed, but I have another one at the end and I am even more anxious about that. Just thought I would cry a little.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Are you at PGSP? I will be attending the Consortium in the fall and am curious what will be in store, even if this TPE business is a couple years off. I completely sympathize about just getting by on the skin of your teeth when it comes to any type of oral assignment. I have this peculiar tendency to have my mind go completely blank (think of that miss teen usa competition a few years back...) when it comes to presentation time...but nerves aside, it sounds like you made it through~congratulations!

Hi there,

Are you at PGSP? I will be attending the Consortium in the fall and am curious what will be in store, even if this TPE business is a couple years off. I completely sympathize about just getting by on the skin of your teeth when it comes to any type of oral assignment. I have this peculiar tendency to have my mind go completely blank (think of that miss teen usa competition a few years back...) when it comes to presentation time...but nerves aside, it sounds like you made it through~congratulations!

Thanks for that. Yes, I am a PGSP student, however I am a 5th year (Intern) so I am not in school anymore. TPE is an Army internship thing, not a PGSP thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on passing! i reckon that a phd program wouldn't be a phd program unless you had your little bits roasted by faculty every now and again. hopefully less rather than more.

hope that isn't a bad picture for everyone. :D

I didn't know anybody ever failed internship unless they slept with a patient or something.

Well...you probably just remember it worse than it really was. If it really went that bad...don't dwell on it, next time think of a phrase to repeat to yourself that has a calming effect. it means nothing to others but mine is "no fear."

Well...you probably just remember it worse than it really was. If it really went that bad...don't dwell on it, next time think of a phrase to repeat to yourself that has a calming effect. it means nothing to others but mine is "no fear."

Nice! Kind of like the Cobra Kai in 'The Karate Kid'. ;)

I always remember "goos frahbah" from Anger Management with Adam Sandler. Relaxing by way of making me smile!

73BARMYPgsp - You and Markp have been a great source of info about Army vs Navy hpsp. My Navy recruiter contact recently told me that there is "no Navy HPSP", only application to USUHS, or commission after I graduate for repayment of my loans/expenses. I am applying to USUHS and to a local psyd program. Were you enlisted prior to grad school? or did you apply for the HPSP?

I always remember "goos frahbah" from Anger Management with Adam Sandler. Relaxing by way of making me smile!

73BARMYPgsp - You and Markp have been a great source of info about Army vs Navy hpsp. My Navy recruiter contact recently told me that there is "no Navy HPSP", only application to USUHS, or commission after I graduate for repayment of my loans/expenses. I am applying to USUHS and to a local psyd program. Were you enlisted prior to grad school? or did you apply for the HPSP?

They may be wrong Stacy, NAVY HPSP for psychology will be available starting this fall per CAPT Petrillo the specialty leader for Navy Psychology. I specifically asked him this question last week during a meeting with him and he stated that it would be available beginning Oct 1, 2009. I urge you to contact him directly regarding this program if you are interested in it.

Mark