This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoUEvenLiftBro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just want some advice from people here that may be more familiar with the ins and outs of the application process. I have a 3.9 GPA from an American university and a 520 MCAT. Multiple publications , clinical experience at Hopkins , and good LOR's from rather well known professors from my school. My problem is that by the time primary applications open, I will still be an international student on an F1 visa. I know that will significantly hurt my chances for getting accepted , especially to tier 1 schools. I will, however, become naturalized into a US citizen before school begins in the Fall semester of the following year. Is there a way for me to let the institutions that I apply for know before the interview stage that I will become a US citizen and will be eligible for Federal aid ? Should I perhaps call them one by one? I know this information will probably have some effect with their decision to interview me or not and eventually accept me. This is a little embarrassing to say, but the schools that I am really really interested in are HMS , JHU , UCSF, UCLA, UWSOM , Penn and Columbia. I do have lots of safety schools as well. I know that I will always have the chance of applying during the next cycle , but it would be truly great to increase my chances this cycle. I hope you guys can offer some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You could let them know....but I think it would still be better to wait. Out of the schools you listed, 3 are state schools and there will be strong bias for not only American citizens, but also in-state residents as well.

Top schools don't care about citizenship/PR as much as lower-tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go ahead and apply. No need to wait. With your CV, you stand a good shot at medical schools that don't place as much weight on citizenship/resident status.

Top schools prob care less about your citizenship status than non top schools

BUT if UWSOM you mean washington, you should probably write them off because i'm 95% sure they DO care about citizenship. UCSF and UCLA might cause you problems as well but im not so sure. However they dont really care about in state vs out of state. everything else on your list prob wont really care about your citizenship. Since you're so close to it i'm willing to bet that if you let the schools know in the do you have anything else to say section i'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks guys. All good suggestions. Yes, UWSOM is probably the hardest to get into in my case since it , historically, does not accept non-citizens and they would need convincing that I will be naturalized within less of a year from application. It would have been my best choice though since my relatives are mostly from WA state. HMS would be an incredible honor, but HMS is never guaranteed no matter what your stats are.

Have you applied for citizenship yet? Most common way would be after 3 years as a spouse of citizen and permanent resident, or as a 5 years permanent resident. So how did you get the timeline from F1 visa to citizen in one year?

Additionally, the actual process for becoming one can take a year until you physically have the card in hand.

If you don't have any of this already, it's doubtful you will be a citizen in a year. However, if you have applied for permanent residency and your application has been accepted, you can use your alien registration number for schools that require it/ on your amcas and the pending status can be verified.

I can tell you top schools and mid tier schools do care about it, not universal, but I had to fax my card and/or bring it to interview days at many institutions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you applied for citizenship yet? Most common way would be after 3 years as a spouse of citizen and permanent resident, or as a 5 years permanent resident. So how did you get the timeline from F1 visa to citizen in one year?

Additionally, the actual process for becoming one can take a year until you physically have the card in hand.

If you don't have any of this already, it's doubtful you will be a citizen in a year. However, if you have applied for permanent residency and your application has been accepted, you can use your alien registration number for schools that require it/ on your amcas and the pending status can be verified.

I can tell you top schools and mid tier schools do care about it, not universal, but I had to fax my card and/or bring it to interview days at many institutions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is through a program called the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest Program. It is currently closed but I was able to enlist while it was open. Citizenship is offered after basic combat training and I would be done with that within the next application cycle before the start of the Fall semester of matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user
you shouldnt have problems with the top schools. You also have a chance at state schools. I was accepted to a school that is really in-state heavy as an international student and I had an mcat muchhhh lower than yours. good luck!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is through a program called the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest Program. It is currently closed but I was able to enlist while it was open. Citizenship is offered after basic combat training and I would be done with that within the next application cycle before the start of the Fall semester of matriculation.

Doesn't it carry a requirement of 3-4 years of active duty? How will you manage that and medical school. Seems impractical unless you are at the end of your years of service.

Reactions: 2 users