already scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I recently was accepted to WVSOM, i'm really excited and happy that I have been given this opportunity but I am already worried about board exams. I know that is stupid since I didnt even start yet but i'm just wondering if I will ever be able to do well since I was accepted despite my MCAT score.

I'm just wondering what kind of correlation there is between the MCAT and COMLEX/USLME. what would a "passing" score be if we're talking mcat or what is a range comparison?

Members don't see this ad.

Screw correlates, one thing you learn in statistics is that there are always deviants.

In your case, be a deviant. Don't let yourself fall victim to believing you can't do well. Put in the sweat, work, and study time and you will do it.

Relax.

Get through anatomy first.

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit of a I wish I had done that thread.

I had heard board scores are best predicted by medical school Grade Point Average. Who gives a crap?

"Despite my MCAT score"

Screw the MCAT. Prove to them how invalid their test is. Put in the time studying while you're there.

So here is my advice, I'm fishing it from the garbage and recycling it for more than it's worth..

All I can say, if you want to make your life a little easier in medical school is to spend time going over many of the biochem pathways. You're going to be asked to understand it conceptually. It's best if, when you get there, Phosphofructokinase-1 isn't a brand new word.

You might consider looking back at your MCAT study stuff now as a means of familiarization with concepts of chemistry and physics. Enzyme kinetics would have been nice to have a much better understanding.

Find out which anatomy atlas' your school uses and grab one. When you're sitting on the couch watching football, or soap operas, or the Next Food Network Star, open the atlas and thumb through it. The more knowledge you have about anatomy before coming into medical school, the less stressful the anatomy class will be.

All of that said, you can't really grasp the transition that occurs until you're there, nore can you grasp the amount of detail that will be shoved down your throat. One day, you'll wake up and realize that the only thing you do is study (and various things as distractions while you do that). People ask what is new. Your answer is "nothing." It isn't wrong, it isn't bad, it just sort of is. Medical school is a blast. The new learning, practicing OMM, etc. The list really goes on and on. Stop and smell the roses on the way there.

You would do well to spend a lot of the time leading up to the first day learning how you learn. The better you know yourself and what works for your brain the quicker the transition from struggling to surviving to thriving. It isn't going to be easy and you may struggle early. Don't be afraid to ask for help and don't be afraid to realize what you thought you knew about yourself was completely wrong. I was one of those who felt you should attend every lecture because you're paying for it, etc. I lasted about 2 weeks where I began to know which lecturers are more painful than others. I've also come to realize medical school is really about Triage.

I'll stop ranting and go back to studying now...

All I can say, if you want to make your life a little easier in medical school is to spend time going over many of the biochem pathways. You're going to be asked to understand it conceptually. It's best if, when you get there, Phosphofructokinase-1 isn't a brand new word.

You might consider looking back at your MCAT study stuff now as a means of familiarization with concepts of chemistry and physics. Enzyme kinetics would have been nice to have a much better understanding.

Find out which anatomy atlas' your school uses and grab one. When you're sitting on the couch watching football, or soap operas, or the Next Food Network Star, open the atlas and thumb through it. The more knowledge you have about anatomy before coming into medical school, the less stressful the anatomy class will be.

Don't do any of this.

Reason? You won't retain any of it to such a degree that it will prove helpful. Sure it may make you think, "Oh yeah I've seen this before" but it won't help you for exam purposes.

Majority of medical students agree that you should do absolutely nothing medical school related before you start medical school. Heck, most of us don't do anything medical school related on vacation time that we get. So why should you when you haven't even started medical school?

All of that said, you can't really grasp the transition that occurs until you're there, nore can you grasp the amount of detail that will be shoved down your throat. One day, you'll wake up and realize that the only thing you do is study (and various things as distractions while you do that). People ask what is new. Your answer is "nothing." It isn't wrong, it isn't bad, it just sort of is. Medical school is a blast. The new learning, practicing OMM, etc. The list really goes on and on. Stop and smell the roses on the way there.

You would do well to spend a lot of the time leading up to the first day learning how you learn. The better you know yourself and what works for your brain the quicker the transition from struggling to surviving to thriving. It isn't going to be easy and you may struggle early. Don't be afraid to ask for help and don't be afraid to realize what you thought you knew about yourself was completely wrong. I was one of those who felt you should attend every lecture because you're paying for it, etc. I lasted about 2 weeks where I began to know which lecturers are more painful than others. I've also come to realize medical school is really about Triage.

I'll stop ranting and go back to studying now...

Good advice here though. Especially about learning how you learn.

Don't do any of this.

Reason? You won't retain any of it to such a degree that it will prove helpful. Sure it may make you think, "Oh yeah I've seen this before" but it won't help you for exam purposes.

Majority of medical students agree that you should do absolutely nothing medical school related before you start medical school. Heck, most of us don't do anything medical school related on vacation time that we get. So why should you when you haven't even started medical school?

Good advice here though. Especially about learning how you learn.

I should clarify a bit because I listened to the people who said what Rollo said and I look back wishing people had given me some guidance about what would have been nice. I'm not a biochem/physiology/anatomy, etc major.

If you're a solid science minor, your familiarity with the material will be really helpful. If your not, going through some of the information a few times won't hurt. I spent the last 13 weeks now learning so much stuff from scratch that many others have a BS or whatever behind their name for. It's hard building from nothing. Familiarity won't hurt.

I can say this, though. Don't stress if you don't get it or don't feel you don't know enough...you get used to that feeling. It's best learned in medical school and not needlessly before.

Otherwise, thanks for the props Rollo

I should clarify a bit because I listened to the people who said what Rollo said and I look back wishing people had given me some guidance about what would have been nice. I'm not a biochem/physiology/anatomy, etc major.

If you're a solid science minor, your familiarity with the material will be really helpful. If your not, going through some of the information a few times won't hurt. I spent the last 13 weeks now learning so much stuff from scratch that many others have a BS or whatever behind their name for. It's hard building from nothing. Familiarity won't hurt.

I can say this, though. Don't stress if you don't get it or don't feel you don't know enough...you get used to that feeling. It's best learned in medical school and not needlessly before.

Otherwise, thanks for the props Rollo

My fault. I assumed that the OP was a science major.

I always wondered how the non-science majors felt about material in med school.

So yes, there is always an exception to every rule. And one of the exceptions to the rule of "don't study anything before med school" is if you're a non-science major. Then definitely become familiar with some basic subjects like anatomy or physiology or biochem.

The good news is that pretty much halfway through first year, the playing field is leveled mostly because of sheer volume of new information that gets thrown at your way.

The good news is that pretty much halfway through first year, the playing field is leveled mostly because of sheer volume of new information that gets thrown at your way.

We're starting to see that happen now about 1/3 of the way in. Biochem majors are starting to realize they have to get into it. I love the fact that the one person who got a perfect score on the lab practical was some kind of lab assistant/anatomist in his prior life... seriously, I can't even compete with that kind of knowledge...

Relax.

Get through anatomy first.

and histo, embryo, OMM, pharm, path, phys, micro

Trust me, once you get through that first day and get that OMG what did I do to myself moment you will not worry about boards scores again. Those are 2 years from the start of medical school and your goal will be to pass each course and get through.

To the OP:

I am a fourth year medical student at WVSOM. I also suggest you relax and focus on getting through the first 6 months of medical school. It is quite rigorous. Strive to do well in your first and second year classes and you will be well prepared for your boards. Also, the school has made some great additions to the curriculum in terms of board preparation. I scored highly on COMLEX and my MCAT score was not stellar.