Alright guys, what's the best way to prep for the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking the DAT on August 27. I'm going to start studying in about 5-10 days. I'm completely new to this exam, and I haven't taken a Bio or Chem course in almost a year. Last time I took Physics was 4-4.5 years ago. I hear things about DAT Destroyer, Chads, Kaplan, Crack...but what are the strengths and weaknesses within each?

Since I haven't been in a "sciency" environment for quite some time, I wouldn't mind dishing out 1500 bucks on a course...IF they're worth it. Only one I know of is Kaplan, but perhaps there are others? I'd love to also hear input from people who have taken the courses before and utilized them to their full extent...to see if they're worth the price tag/time or not.

I'm excited. I'd like to start ordering/organizing today. Thanks so much guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Order:

DAT Destroyer - Science
Math Destroyer
Crack DAT PAT
Crack DAT MATH
ACS Gen Chem
ACS Organic Chem
Cliffs AP BIOLOGY
CHAD's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem
Kaplan Blue book -- Decent overview of everything

Check out DentalWorks 8 week study plan that is posted at the top of this forum... There are lots of breakdowns on this site and recommendations. The general consensus is that the courses are not worth the money. Get a good at home study plan and stick to it.

Order:

DAT Destroyer - Science
Math Destroyer
Crack DAT PAT
Crack DAT MATH
ACS Gen Chem
ACS Organic Chem
Cliffs AP BIOLOGY
CHAD's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem
Kaplan Blue book -- Decent overview of everything

Check out DentalWorks 8 week study plan that is posted at the top of this forum... There are lots of breakdowns on this site and recommendations. The general consensus is that the courses are not worth the money. Get a good at home study plan and stick to it.

Thanks so much for the response. When you say "Crack DAT PAT" and "Crack DAT MATH"...is that all in one book or are they two separate books? Same question for ACS. Where's the best place to buy them all? I'm assuming Amazon.

One last question; if I start in 5-10 days, how many hours should I be putting in a day? I'd like to study at least 6 days a week. I'd assume anywhere from 7-10 hours a day?

Thanks so much for the response. When you say "Crack DAT PAT" and "Crack DAT MATH"...is that all in one book or are they two separate books? Same question for ACS. Where's the best place to buy them all? I'm assuming Amazon.

One last question; if I start in 5-10 days, how many hours should I be putting in a day? I'd like to study at least 6 days a week. I'd assume anywhere from 7-10 hours a day?

Crack DAT PAT and Crack DAT Math are both computer programs that can be bought here:http://www.crackdat.com/http://www.crackdat.com/
I'm not sure about the ACS book, but just google it and I'm sure you can find it.

If you are confused about a study schedule, you can use dentalWorks' study schedule which is at the top of the DAT discussions forum. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't spend your money on Kaplan course, waste of your time and money.

Buy AP Biology
AP Chemistry
DAT Destroyer
Crack DAT PAT
Crack DAT Math
Kaplan Blue Book
Topscore

You do not need to study for Physics, not part of the exam.

Estimated cost for books and software should be around $400 + $320 for exam.

You're all gentlemen and scholars, and not necessarily in that order. I like these book summaries. I hope this thread stays alive to see if there's any other resources other people might recommend. Those listed do seem to be the general consensus for DAT material, based on my research though.

Bump...just to see if anyone else thinks there's something crucial that isn't included. I'm ordering today.

hi guys wat do you think kaplan test classes is helping for prep?is there any other classes other than kaplan that is good?

What are the ACS materials like and how do they differ from destroyer - to be clear- why would I need ACS if I mastered destroyer?

Just trying to figure out if I should use ACS o chem/chem. Thanks.