Alternate routes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stroszeck

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got rejected from the schools I applied to and thought about the possibility (since it is kinda late) of going the Master's degree route. How good will it look (at all) if I obtain a M.S. in Healthcare Administration from a CSU?

The reason I'm asking is because I'll either do that or get an MS in Biochem or some science, but at least the MHA will do me good afterwards if d-school ultimately doesn't pan out. Any thoughts? (Don't ask about DAT gpa etc., I'm in no mood to discuss why i didn't get in, just alternate options).

Members don't see this ad.

MS would be good. But i think a MS in BioCHem woudl be better in that it would aid you if you do research. Schools are looking for students who are potential researchers as much as they are looking for clinical dentists. Probably more so.

You need some scope on the future. MS might be a bit better than the MHA for getting into dental school (but I suspect not much if you supplement the MHA with some hard science courses). Now if you go MS and don't get into dental school you might want to go on and get that PHD. Ending at the MS level will leave you basically competing against the smart folks in India for work that can be off shored or teaching high school/community college in the US.

The MHA (if dental school doesn't work out) prepares you to begin a career in Hospital or Health Clinic Management. In that field, you can work your way up to a good paying (but very demanding) job that cannot be easily off shored.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either of those options is fine for enhancing your appliction. So, choose the one that will best allow you to reach your goals, should dental school not pan out.

Then, strive to make dental school pan out.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I just found out that there is a Biotech Certificate program which is one year long and offers hard science courses. (It's a bit tough to get into from what the admissions people told me.)

My main concern is attending the MS in Healthcare Management at CSU Hayward and having that degree (should dental school not pan out) be worth nothing. After all, it requires no GRE and on top of that it supposedly isn't registered with something called the CAHME which only lists CSULB as certified.

The thing is I no longer want to put all my eggs in one basket and like crazy_sherm once explained, it is possible to get into the business end of healthcare and make good money.

If anyone has any additional helpful resources on clarifying whether I should pursue MS in biochem or MHA (both at crappy CSU schools) I'd appreciate it. I don't want to go through two years of hell only to make a crappy salary.

this is the master program i am doing right now.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~ucollege/graduate_biology.html

it is at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. they have pre-meds coming through the program and studying part time, but i am the first pre-dental going full time, taking 4-5 grad classes/semester and graduating in 2 semesters. I love both the flexibility of the program (eventhough it is a very hard one) and the people who run the program. Let me know if you need more info.

Comet208 said:

it is at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. they have pre-meds coming through the program and studying part time, but i am the first pre-dental going full time, taking 4-5 grad classes/semester and graduating in 2 semesters. I love both the flexibility of the program (eventhough it is a very hard one) and the people who run the program. Let me know if you need more info.

just visited the site u posted. any of these courses offered online? it doesn't say on their website

RicDDS said:
just visited the site u posted. any of these courses offered online? it doesn't say on their website

nope, all the classes are tought in person. you might be able to transfer in courses you took on-line (i am not sure if they will let you or how the dental schools view them)

and just to clarify, most of the courses offered have something to do with biochem and molecular biology.

That's sound like a very cool program. Thanks for the link. :D

I don't understand why everybody says that the MS will lead to work that "could be shipped away to India should D-school not pan out". There really is no difference, from what I have been told between the MHA's offered and the MS in Healthcare Administration.

I just wanted to go to dental school and that dream seems to have crushed. I hope I don't get screwed with this Healthcare thing. My life would sink even lower. And that would suck.

Comet208 said:

Dr Allen is teaching??? HAHA, I had that guy in BIO I about 7 years ago. He's an old dude, Im surprised he is still teaching. None of the other participating faculty members look familiar. Is grading done on a curve?