Alternate to Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zorax

Reaction score
I've called all of the practices in my county - both private and hospitals and nobody is willing to let students shadow at this time. Which makes sense because of COVID, and I completely understand, but was just a little hopeful. I realize that shadowing is a huge part of your application and making sure you know you want to be a doctor. Getting a shadowing opportunity before I apply in next cycle, is likely not going to happen.

Would it be better to get a clinical job to make up for the lack of shadowing or skip a cycle?

There have also been many virtual shadowing opportunities I've seen, but I'm not putting too much stock into those because they don't really give you insight into a physician's lifestyle. I would love to hear some thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I've called all of the practices in my county - both private and hospitals and nobody is willing to let students shadow at this time. Which makes sense because of COVID, and I completely understand, but was just a little hopeful. I realize that shadowing is a huge part of your application and making sure you know you want to be a doctor. Getting a shadowing opportunity before I apply in next cycle, is likely not going to happen.

Would it be better to get a clinical job to make up for the lack of shadowing or skip a cycle?

There have also been many virtual shadowing opportunities I've seen, but I'm not putting too much stock into those because they don't really give you insight into a physician's lifestyle. I would love to hear some thoughts!
Shadowing need not be a longitudinal activity, so you can get a lot of hours very quickly and "check the box." If there is a vaccine available before spring break or the end of the academic year in May-June, there'd still be time to get in a decent amount of shadowing (40-50 hours) before you'd apply. So don't give up hope of an eventual opportunity.

Next best would be to acquire a clinical or volunteer job where you'd be in the presence of physician with their patients at times.

Reactions: 2 users
Shadowing need not be a longitudinal activity, so you can get a lot of hours very quickly and "check the box." If there is a vaccine available before spring break or the end of the academic year in May-June, there'd still be time to get in a decent amount of shadowing (40-50 hours) before you'd apply. So don't give up hope of an eventual opportunity.

Next best would be to acquire a clinical or volunteer job where you'd be in the presence of physician with their patients at times.

Oh I thought it needed to be spread out - this makes me more relieved! In the case that a vaccine isn't available that quickly, would it be better to split the amount of hours I've done in a volunteer role with shadowing? My clinical volunteering pre-pandemic was in an ER and I was able to see many different types of interactions with patients through physicians and RN's. Or just leave it blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I thought it needed to be spread out - this makes me more relieved! In the case that a vaccine isn't available that quickly, would it be better to split the amount of hours I've done in a volunteer role with shadowing? My clinical volunteering pre-pandemic was in an ER and I was able to see many different types of interactions with patients through physicians and RN's. Or just leave it blank?
Best to split out the two components and use two spaces to list them, taking care not to double count the hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Best to split out the two components and use two spaces to list them, taking care not to double count the hours.

I didn't know you could replace shadowing with clinical volunteering. Thank you so much for your help!!

I didn't know you could replace shadowing with clinical volunteering. Thank you so much for your help!!
You aren't "replacing it." You are mentally removing the passive elements of the clinical activity and calling it Shadowing (a passive observational activity), while keeping the active elements of helping out as Volunteering.

You aren't "replacing it." You are mentally removing the passive elements of the clinical activity and calling it Shadowing (a passive observational activity), while keeping the active elements of helping out as Volunteering.

Ohhh, that makes more sense. I was wondering how that would work before, but I get it now. Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: 1 user

Try scribing.

As @Goro stated, look into scribing! It's pretty much shadowing but you are involved with the patient's care..... and you're getting paid.. It is a win-win for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you tried getting a job as a medical assistant?

Thank you everyone for your responses! I looked into clinical jobs before, but I just wasn't sure if they'd replace shadowing. From what I've seen on sdn, it seemed that clinical volunteering, shadowing, and clinical employment were 3 different categories.

Try scribing.
I've been interested in getting scribing experience but doesn't one need a certification in order to do this? As with medical assisting?