Alternative career options for bio/biochem majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowerOfWill

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the proper sub-forum but please do not move it to a pre-med section unless it really is the most suitable place for it.

I'm just a nontraditional undergrad and have nothing in the way of med school application material. No MCAT, etc.

I realize now (well,have known) that I want nothing to do with socialized medicine, or toxic behemoth bureaucracy, or government.

I'll have a Biology major and chemistry minor. My research shows that this could be nearly (or worse than) worthless outside of medicine.

What options will I really have that are stimulating, rewarding, and pay more than like, $12/hr in 2020 money?

Members don't see this ad.

Change your major to computer science.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is way too broad to receive a good response. Do you have any interests (that could turn into a career)?

Reactions: 2 users
Consulting, management, research
Or switch to something in engineering

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this is the proper sub-forum but please do not move it to a pre-med section unless it really is the most suitable place for it.

I'm just a nontraditional undergrad and have nothing in the way of med school application material. No MCAT, etc.

I realize now (well,have known) that I want nothing to do with socialized medicine, or toxic behemoth bureaucracy, or government.

I'll have a Biology major and chemistry minor. My research shows that this could be nearly (or worse than) worthless outside of medicine.

What options will I really have that are stimulating, rewarding, and pay more than like, $12/hr in 2020 money?

I know someone that got his undergrad in biology and works as a technician servicing medical equipment in hospitals/labs/medical facilities across the US. He allegedly makes 90k/yr and his travel/meal expenses are all covered. Not really sure how he got it but his outgoing personality might have had something to do it.

Laboratory work is always an option--have you looked into this?

Last edited:
Are you willing to go to more school? That could help us guide you.

My dad was a high school science teacher and he loved it. That could be an option if you like middle and high school age kids.

Some parochial schools will hire you with only a Biology degree, but public schools and many private schools need you to be certified.

What do you like? Any interests?

I would aim to start a private biotech company for sure. The problem is you'll have to work under the FDA, which as you know has destroyed the industry. So, I would use the science background to become an outspoken bioethicist and fight for free market reform, starting with repealing the Kefauver Harris Amendment.