Alternative career with DPM degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Altariablue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Interested to know if there are any non clinical DPMs (or people who know of them) and what career they are eligible for as a DPM. I was diagnosed with RA a few years ago, and the stress of private practice associate life is starting to cause me burnout. Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be grateful for your generous associate salary, the other Podiatrist down the street only pays his associates 90k a year which is less than what a PA makes.

In all seriousness you could become a medical device rep

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The only non clinical jobs I can think of require some practice experience and are few and far between. Unfortunately the DPM degree isn’t really marketable for anything other than being a practicing podiatrist. You can consult/educate either privately or for an organization like the APMA. Private consulting would be a lot of work to get going and profitable but you don’t have to sit and wait for the opportunity to pop up, you’re creating it. Working for someone else means few and far between opportunities so good luck. Expert witness, insurance review/consulting will take many years of practice experience as well, also probably few opportunities to do that and make a living. Other than that stuff you can be faculty at a school and not have to worry about treating patients. That’s honestly probably the most realistic non-clinical path but there are only 9 schools and you could wait around for years for one of them to have a teaching position come open.

Hopefully other folks have more ideas. If I thought I would have to have a non clinical job I would have dropped out immediately to minimize debt and started another career...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As stated above: Education/Academia... but even then, being a clinical/academic professor requires some experience.

If the prospect of PP jobs stresses you, look into other practice avenues where you are salaried and dont worry so much about day-to-day operations (VA, hospital-based, multi-spec, etc.). These “other” jobs are discussed in detail in previous threads.

Best of luck to you.

You should be qualified to teach high school or comm college sciences... possibly univ or grad level depending on your experience.

The rep/industry route is another idea. The expert/reviewer for insurances or whatever is possible, but it is unlikely to pay much.

Career change to a completely different path can always be considered (sales, computer coding, etc etc).

...You might honestly be best off seeing patients but simply setting firm boundaries and/or working a part time job (PP, hospital, MSG, house calls, etc). You would likely make more by doing patient care part time than doing the above non-clinical stuff full-time?

Thank you for the helpful replies. Leaning towards negotiating for a part time position for the upcoming year and seeing where it goes.

If you are looking for an alternative path, you can consider become a Medical Science Liaison (MSL) for a pharmaceutical, medical device, biotech company. I know of several DPMs that have left the DPM practice and became MSLs for several different wound care companies and medical device companies. MSLs are not drug reps or medical device reps. They are more like the SMEs (subject matters experts) or medical consultants for the company.

Alternative careers that I have seen my DPM colleagues have gotten into include teaching (college), venture / start ups, consulting, medical writing / journalism, hospital administration (CMO, etc...), medical insurance companies (healthcare policy work, strategy consultant, etc...), pharma / biotech (non MSL positions, such as medical director, etc....).

I went back to get my MBA as a plan B when I was starting to get burnout from the medical profession. Since the completion of my MBA, I started to doing some part time consulting work, on the side, in healthcare strategy, healthcare policy, healthcare / lifescience investment, and healthcare operations with local consulting firms. I still practice Podiatry full time. I am still determining if I want to jump ship to do consulting full time.

Reactions: 5 users
One of our reps for a surgical instrument has a PhD in Biochemistry, and was also a higher-ranked player in the LPGA tour. Absolute powerhouse all around and was a great rep as well.
Some of the companies in my area love a rep with a backstory. In my area I've got - a wide receiver from the local state school, a cheerleader from the same school, and a former professional rodeo rider. A program I visited had a rep who was either a former pro football player or pro baseball player.

Some of the companies in my area love a rep with a backstory. In my area I've got - a wide receiver from the local state school, a cheerleader from the same school, and a former professional rodeo rider. A program I visited had a rep who was either a former pro football player or pro baseball player.
In school I played flag football with a bunch of former Iowa, Iowa State and Northern Iowa players. All but one of them were in sales. Only 2-3 were medical sales though. One pharm and a couple of hardware reps. A couple of them apparently were well known to local folks. Seems like a common theme, I saw it in residency and in practice in a bigger metro...former athletes and pretty girls...

Reactions: 2 users
...Seems like a common theme, I saw it in residency and in practice in a bigger metro...former athletes and pretty girls...
Yeah, for sure. The companies are basically banking on a lot of docs/clients being lonely in one way or another.

Those are the two proven recipes for success in the pharma/equip rep game (or most other sales too):
-hot woman... doesn't have to be a total smoke show, but still must be quite a bit cuter than 90% of guys could obtain
-cool guy that the doc would want to be buddies with (and the guy has to be at least fairly good looking... to have that angle for female docs)

Can't say it's a bad strategy, haha. I've seen it work on many successful and intelligent DPMs. The actual medical product need/quality is less important if docs in the area like interacting with the rep. An actual great product that's fair priced with a bro/babe supporting it is always pretty unstoppable too :cool:

One of our reps for a surgical instrument has a PhD in Biochemistry, and was also a higher-ranked player in the LPGA tour. Absolute powerhouse all around and was a great rep as well.
If it is Paige Spiranac, then I might make exception to may "don't call me, I'll call you" rule for reps. Hmm

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users