Alternative Plans to Research MS1 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knope321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I thought I had a research project down for the summer - met with the PI and did IRB training. However, he stopped responding to my emails. I'm trying to find something, but summer is ~1.5 months away. I'm reaching out to people now and have a few leads, but, worst case scenario, I don't get any summer research. Has anyone done anything else productive over the summer besides research?

Maybe volunteer work or working at a non-profit and Step studying? I've been doing at about the class average for my school and our board scores are usually at or a bit below the average. I'm also a pretty slow learner and have already forgotten so much from our first blocks, so this might be a good time for me to catch up before our first semester of second year, which is the hardest content wise. If it helps, I'm interested in IM, psych, or neuro with no preference for locations for residency.

I'd love advice from anyone who has been in the same boat or someone who did not do research over MS1 summer and turned out fine. Also, totally realize I shouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket and should have started sooner. Definitely stressed and regretting this now, but there isn't anything I can do except move forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, don't stress about it too much. Most people who have research lined up aren't going to be published through what they work on anyway so you'll end up about the same as them at the start of m2.

I think unless you're sure you'll be published, research is sort of more of time sink than its worth for the "last summer ever!!!!" deal anyway.

Just enjoy your summer and work hard on making productive network contacts when you get back for M2 so that you can get an abstract or case report done on the side during m2

My two cents anyway

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, don't stress about it too much. Most people who have research lined up aren't going to be published through what they work on anyway so you'll end up about the same as them at the start of m2.

I think unless you're sure you'll be published, research is sort of more of time sink than its worth for the "last summer ever!!!!" deal anyway.

Just enjoy your summer and work hard on making productive network contacts when you get back for M2 so that you can get an abstract or case report done on the side during m2

My two cents anyway

Thank you so much! How would you approach physicans for writing up case reports? Is it just through extensive shadowing? I appreciate the feedback!