Alternative to volunteering at hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halogas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many hospitals around where I live, some small some large. I have volunteered once before, and many of my friends have as well. Our tasks are very mundane, from filing papers to standing at the door saying "Welcome, how are you?" (well, probably not doing well since they are in the freakin' hospital, unless they are employee's ofc).

As I was about to apply to volunteer at a hospital later on this year, I looked at what kind of jobs they had for volunteers. Here is an example:

Wheelchair warrior - "...help fix wheel chairs..".

That is the actual title. I am not wasting my time being a wheelchair warrior and I refuse to spend hours of my life filing papers. To me, that is not volunteering at a hospital. Are there other things I can do? I will apply to medical schools next year, I am currently finishing up my Junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many hospitals around where I live, some small some large. I have volunteered once before, and many of my friends have as well. Our tasks are very mundane, from filing papers to standing at the door saying "Welcome, how are you?" (well, probably not doing well since they are in the freakin' hospital, unless they are employee's ofc).

As I was about to apply to volunteer at a hospital later on this year, I looked at what kind of jobs they had for volunteers. Here is an example:

Wheelchair warrior - "...help fix wheel chairs..".

That is the actual title. I am not wasting my time being a wheelchair warrior and I refuse to spend hours of my life filing papers. To me, that is not volunteering at a hospital. Are there other things I can do? I will apply to medical schools next year, I am currently finishing up my Junior year.

There is no law that says your volunteering has to be done in a hospital. I'm volunteering with my local police departments to do a citizens on patrol program. You can volunteer to coach a city sports team, or work the front desk at a rec center. I think the volunteer experience should be something you enjoy. That makes it more fun and something you're likely to continue doing.

I volunteer with several organization that provide mentorship to children, teenagers and adults with disabilities.

My passion is in the Deaf and disability communities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends are you looking for volunteering, or more clinical experiences?

If you can get a hospital volunteering job where you are interacting with actual patients--like helping people with their meals, giving them fresh water, or transporting--it will be worthwhile. But I agree that there's no point when you're just filing paperwork or working the gift shop. Hospitals love to emphasize the "awesome volunteer opportunities" they have, which are really just a way for them to save money by getting people to do scutwork for free (IMO). I can totally see why they do it, but I think most of it is awfully boring. Maybe there's a free clinic or hospice center near where you live where you'd get some actual patient contact. Or maybe you have a special skill like pet therapy or art therapy where you could spend time with patients to get clinical experience. You could also try getting a part-time job as a transporter, aide, or MA at a local hospital or clinic. I found that it was far more interesting for me to work as a CNA to get clinical experience, and volunteer in a non-clinical setting (for me, a homeless shelter).

Check out copehealthsolutions.org and see if they have a program at any hospitals close by you. It's like a mix of some CNA duties, helping transport patients, feeding, bathing, observing and counting in the OR, labor and delivery, discharging patients, etc. it's a shot in the dark because I think it's only at a handful of hospitals but it's worth a look. Good luck!

You can shadow a physician at an outpatient clinic (they'll usually let you do more than shadow as time goes by) or become a scribe for a physician/ER/urgent care.

But remember. Many places will make sure you are a complete fool before they let you do anything of value especially anything in front of a patient. Sometimes you have to start with filing before you can go room to room and talk to the patients.

The hospitals in my area are saturated with volunteers, so if you can get a position, it is usually in the gift shop, fixing wheelchairs, etc. I got my CNA and found a position at a low income clinic that is not affiliated with the hospitals. I get to take patient vitals, run basic labs, and get chief complaints, among other things. It definitely paid to take the road less traveled for me.

For starters, judging by what you wrote, many volunteer roles will be what you may be considering 'mundane' roles, but for the most part they are greatly appreciated (even if it is not always apparent).

If you don't like the sort of opportunities that you have been exposed to already, find some organizations, clinics, etc. that you would love to volunteer at and call them, stop by, etc. to see if there's anywhere you can lend a helping hand. They may not be advertising for needing a volunteer but most will gladly take the help if you're offering..