Am I a good candidate for Osteopathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asumi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking advice on how to become a competitive candidate for Osteopathic schools as opposed to Allopathic. This is me: 3.7 undergrad GPA from the University of California, Berkeley. 4.0 Post Bacc science GPA. I am 30 and have taught English for several years in Japan. I have a year of research and my clinical experience is mainly from volunteering in the rehabilitation clinic at a hospital in Tokyo for one year. I currently volunteer at a free medical clinic. Lastly my MCATS are 7V 10P 9B, R. I initially only thought of applying to allopathic schools and have only recently been learning more about the Osteopathic approach. I guess what I want to know is what am I lacking from an Osteopathic adcom committee's POV? Do I need to shadow a DO? For how long? Do I have to have a D.O. letter? Do people apply to both M.D. and D.O programs at the same time? The more I have been looking into Osteopathy, the more similarities rather than differences I seem to find and therefore believe that I can accomplish my career goals via either route. Does my personal statement for an Osteopathic school need to necessarily talk about my interest in Osteopathy specifically? Since I am an older applicant I feel it is important to talk about the process and events that have led me to pursue medicine in general and I don't know if or how much I need to gear my application/essay toward a love of Osteophaty. If I shadow a D.O for a few months is this enough for an ADCOM or are they looking for candidates who have never thought of doing anything but Osteopathy. I just want to practice medicine and heal people and I think I can do this with either training. Sorry it was long but any comments are very appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are a good candidate. Osteopathic schools do want to be sure that the prospective student does understand the philosophy. Do some research to be sure it is what you want. Good luck
smile.gif

mcp MSUCOM class of 2005

As far as your numbers go, they are more than competitive, particularly the GPA.

When was the last time you took the MCAT? I think they may only be good for 3 years.

Shadowing a D.O. is always a good idea. Getting a letter from a D.O. could certainly be helpful as well.

People do apply to both D.O. and M.D. schools together. Some do it because they feel the more schools they apply to, the better their chances. Others do it because they look at Osteopathic school as a "back-up" choice...the wrong attitude to have.

About the personal statement, that is a question I have as well. If it reflects Osteopathy in some way, I don't see how it could hurt. Don't try to sneak in stuff about it if you can't back it up. Be honest about why you like the philosophy.

I don't think that ADCOMS are looking for the candidate who was weened on Osteopathic philosophy since they were young. I think they are looking for a solid student who looks at Osteopathic medicine and says "You know...THAT'S the kind of doctor I want to be."

Anyway...I hope this has helped. There are planty of books out there as well. Try to visit a few Osteopathic schools if you get the chance. UMDNJ-SOM has an oprn house coming up on the 27th of this month.

I wish you luck and congratulate you on your first post on SDN. I am certain the people here will be helpful, as they have been to me.

G'night!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited April 22, 2001).]

You sound like a great candidate to me. Your GPA and MCAT are great. Most DO schools like to see some kind of exposure in the medical field and your volunteerism will suit that requirement well. You sound well rounded with your academic background, teaching background, and obvious life experiences thus far. I think your teaching background will be particularly helpful. I believe teaching is an important aspect of becoming a physician. Throughout your career as a physician you will teach students, patients, families, other medical staff, and other physicians. I think my teaching background really helped my application. I have been a Paramedic for 6 years and teaching EMS for 5 years, and my admissions committee seemed interested in that aspect of my background. I met a DO through my MD primary care physician, and only shadowed him a few days, and he wrote me a letter of recommendation. Most DO schools require(or STRONGLY recommmend) a letter of recommendation from a DO, so see if you can get in touch with one through your medical clinic. Research osteopathic medicine and if it IS the career path for you, definitely explain why in your personal statement(most schools want you to). (A good book is Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress). I didn't apply to any allopathic programs, because the osteopathic approach to medicine encompasses all the qualities I want to have as a physician. I wouldn't apply to both if you are serious about osteopathy, but if you do, yes, you apply at the same time(different application processes though). Hope I was helpful, best of luck.

[email protected]
COMP Class of 2005