Am I a reapplicant or not??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unperturbed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a reapplicant, first time applied in 2010.

I've been looking through secondary essays for some schools i have interest in, and UNC, like many schools, ask for "reapplicant" essay.

However, I never applied to UNC, and will be first time applying to UNC. So technically I will be a re-applicant to those schools I sent my primary to, but will be first time applicant to those I never applied before.

Do I need to answer that reapplicant question for UNC?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. Some schools only count reapplicants to their schools but others count you as a reapplicant if you've ever submitted a primary regardless if you applied there or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call the admissions office at UNC and ask if you would be considered a reapplicant or not. My hunch is that since you have not applied to UNC before, they would consider you a first-time applicant. If you receive an interview, be prepared to tell them why you did not apply to UNC the first time you applied to medical school.

It depends. Some schools only count reapplicants to their schools but others count you as a reapplicant if you've ever submitted a primary regardless if you applied there or not.

I would call the admissions office at UNC and ask if you would be considered a reapplicant or not. My hunch is that since you have not applied to UNC before, they would consider you a first-time applicant. If you receive an interview, be prepared to tell them why you did not apply to UNC the first time you applied to medical school.

Reapplicant status is determined by whether or not OP submitted AMCAS.

Reapplicant status is determined by whether or not OP submitted AMCAS.

Well, Yes and No. Some schools would consider it that way, some won't.
Just called UNC Med admissions office and confirmed that If I am new to UNC, I will be a new applicant even if I have applied to others schools in the past with submission of AMCAS and secondaries to those schools.