Am I alone in this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smuwillobrien

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first semester was incredible. I worked as hard as I could, and everything seemed to come into place. However, this semester is killing me. I'm basically doing a continuation of all my courses from last semester:

Biology 202.2
Chemistry 212.2
Physics 236.2
Calculus 211.2
English 205.2

I'm finding it so hard to manage all of this material, and stay on top of the game. I've been lucky so far and managed to keep up momentum, but I'm afraid I'm in for a kick in the pants. Did everyone have one semester that was just like the litmus test to your determination? I've been feeling like I want to drop out, like I want to be a normal person taking bird courses, ... I know that I will make it through this semester, but any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Once I've got all of these out of the way shouldn't things look better?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone :) we are all a little crazy, thats why we want to be doctors....Just keep up the time management and you will be fine!!! make sure to take a good break too when spring break comes along and an hour to yourself.

That is why we have this site to keep us sane :)

Remember,
If God is a DJ life is dancefloor you get what you give in

Good LUck!!

damn...anyone who takes a class from each BCPM section is really looking to get rocked. and you even have an english class added to this!

how come you scheduled it this way? you have at least 8 semesters of college to spread this stuff out. 20 units of relatively intensive stuff in your freshman year...damn.

after this semester id just take a look at how you are going to schedule the rest of your time there. its not a race man.

but anyways..its kinda late to pull out now right? so what i say to you is this. so far you are keeping up the momentum. dont get down on yourself when things seem overwhelming. spring break is coming up soon so at least you have something to look forward to refresh your batteries and just make it to the end. just keep on doing what you are doing to keep up and you'll make it through in one piece.

and if you can manage a good gpa this semester then more props to ya.

although ive taken a good amount of 20+ unit semesters during my time in college, it wasnt during the first year. but once you get used to the first one, the other ones arent bad at all. not that i recommend you take another 20 units of this type of stuff again. in the end, this experience will help you deal with the rigors of the upper division classes you will have to take later on.

good luck. and dont die on us :D

Members don't see this ad :)
THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!!!

CALC
GEN CHEM II
GEN BIO II
ENGLISH COMP

Thats what i had second semester freshman year. I thought I was going to burn out and I envyed the other majors that did not have as much of a work load! However, now that I am a second semester senior, I have 3 classes:

Business Management Science
Music History II
Web Design and Management

And I am doing some gene cloning research on the side....

It gets better, just relax. Your most hectic semester will be second semester junior year (at least it was for me) when you don't know if you have time to eat.

Keep thinks in perspective and really know that you are committed to becoming a physician.

Feel free to AIM me at Rocpen321.

Best,

Rocco

As my exercise teacher once said, "Feel the burn."

In this case, it will be your brain "shifting paradigms without a clutch."

Suggestion: Hold on as tight as you can, i.e. limit social activities, and sleep to only what is necessary.

Oh, and the light at the end of the tunnel is the oncoming train called "Medical School." For better or for worse.

Little Dude,

Don't get stressed out, remember that school is for you, not you for school. So enjoy it and never lose sight of the big picture and what's truly important in life.

~Lubdubb

I really appreciate the comments everyone has posted. Thanks.

biochem
physics
physics lab
o-chem
o-chem lab
did a little bit of tutoring on the side, but gpa didnt slip. God definitely had something to do with it. but you can always push yourself further. it will prepare for your career as a physician or even for life in the future. it only gets harder...but God will give you rest and He will definitely provide when you give it all up to Him.

Just keep workin' hard. You can do it as long as you put a little bit of elbow grease into. Just remember, unless you're getting shot up or something equally as lethal.. at least in terms of academia, whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

like everyone else has said, so long as the gpa doesn't slip, keep on chuggin'. i feel ya with the course load right now, 6 classes for 15 hours. damn the bioengineering dept. at rice!

I am hoping you make it through! I think your schedule looks like mine for this fall:eek:...unless I take 1 class in each summer session.

So, hang in there!! You can do it. :clap:

(And remember to wish me luck this fall!!:D Trust me, I'll def be needing it) ;)