Am I being selfish and lazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are the same. Though each are difficult differently.

Members don't see this ad.

OP, no disrespect but it sounds like deep down in your heart you've convinced yourself that there is and must be some kind of "pecking order" in which MDs are superior to DDSs and you as a type A personality feel moral compunction about settling for anything less than "the best."

This is America bro. I don't know where you/your family is from but we are a nation of individuals and here neither your worth as a human being nor your place in society are defined by your occupation. My advice to you is to embrace that. Do what makes you happy. Don't go for a job because it is "the best" or the "most prestigious"...go for it because it is what you want to do, even if it's washing toilets.

OP, no disrespect but it sounds like deep down in your heart you've convinced yourself that there is and must be some kind of "pecking order" in which MDs are superior to DDSs and you as a type A personality feel moral compunction about settling for anything less than "the best."

This is America bro. I don't know where you/your family is from but we are a nation of individuals and here neither your worth as a human being nor your place in society are defined by your occupation. My advice to you is to embrace that. Do what makes you happy. Don't go for a job because it is "the best" or the "most prestigious"...go for it because it is what you want to do, even if it's washing toilets.

You make it sound like people here dont judge you by your occupation. I honestly have never seen more arrogance going into medicine than anywhere else in the world. Maybe you havent shadowed enough but Ive never seen dentistry put down more than when I was shadowing in hospitals, especially internal medicine.

When I asked them about dentistry, they told me to ask them about a 'real' profession. Needless to say, I didnt shadow him anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
You make it sound like people here dont judge you by your occupation. I honestly have never seen more arrogance going into medicine than anywhere else in the world. Maybe you havent shadowed enough but Ive never seen dentistry put down more than when I was shadowing in hospitals, especially internal medicine.

When I asked them about dentistry, they told me to ask them about a 'real' profession. Needless to say, I didnt shadow him anymore.

Sounds like effort justification to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effort_justification

Perhaps you could redefine your reasons for doing dentistry, instead of the reasons above. Make them all positive, and make that your mantra. Like for example, I feel I can personally impact patients more with dentistry because I'll be solving problems instead of following the bandaid approach of writing prescriptions. I think if you've prayed about this journey and you really feel it's right for you, then it is. Best of luck to you in your journey.