Am I competitive, and should I apply for fall 2018 admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Question has been answered.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The AACPMAS deadline for most of the programs is June 30th, so if you can submit everything and if it all varifies before this deadline then you're fine, otherwise, aim for 2019. With an undergrad GPA close to 3.0 and a 495 MCAT, you should receive interview invites. You should also calculate your science GPA.

Mention that you have shadowed other professionals in other fields. It shows the Adcoms that you have done your part in choosing Podiatry. 40 hours of Pod shadowing and ECs are fine and should help your overall app.

If you want to start this year then you can still do it, there is no guarantee though of being accepted. I would at least send and complete everything on AACPMAS, like today, and have your transcripts send out and LORs ready through interfolio. Once the schools receive your completed app, about 2-4 weeks from today, they might give you a week of extension, if they want you in their program.

Otherwise, wait for the next cycle and apply early, may receive some type of scholarship. GL.

The AACPMAS deadline for most of the programs is June 30th, so if you can submit everything and if it all varifies before this deadline then you're fine, otherwise, aim for 2019. With an undergrad GPA close to 3.0 and a 495 MCAT, you should receive interview invites. You should also calculate your science GPA.

Mention that you have shadowed other professionals in other fields. It shows the Adcoms that you have done your part in choosing Podiatry. 40 hours of Pod shadowing and ECs are fine and should help your overall app.

If you want to start this year then you can still do it, there is no guarantee though of being accepted. I would at least send and complete everything on AACPMAS, like today, and have your transcripts send out and LORs ready through interfolio. Once the schools receive your completed app, about 2-4 weeks from today, they might give you a week of extension, if they want you in their program.

Otherwise, wait for the next cycle and apply early, may receive some type of scholarship. GL.

Would shadowing a DO and MD physican total for 200 hours look poor if I only shadowed a podiatrist for 40 hours?

If you were in my situation, would you wait and apply for 2019? Would you think I would have a much higher chance of being accepted? And would it help for scholarship money to wait and apply for 2019?

What I'm afraid will happen, is that I would apply this year, not get accepted, and then not have anything significant to add for a reapplication cycle for 2019.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would shadowing a DO and MD physican total for 200 hours look poor if I only shadowed a podiatrist for 40 hours?

If you were in my situation, would you wait and apply for 2019? Would you think I would have a much higher chance of being accepted? And would it help for scholarship money to wait and apply for 2019?

What I'm afraid will happen, is that I would apply this year, not get accepted, and then not have anything significant to add for a reapplication cycle for 2019.

No this does not look bad because now you can talk about your reasons for choosing Podiatry, so it will help during interviews and on your personal statement. The main reason Pod programs and few of us here recommend shadowing is to be sure that you guys really want to pursue this field and are not just making a random decision. In terms of 40 hours from a program pov, they just want to know you have shadowed, have that Pod letter and know what a DPM does.

Applying now vs 2019 is a personal choice, I can't really comment on that. I can tell you what I did though. I took the May 2017 mcat, got scores in June, but I had already completed everything on AACPMAS before the scores came out, so interviewed in June and started school in August. I was a non-trad and I did not want to spend another year not doing anything so I wanted to start right away. In your case, if you have a specific program in mind, email them and ask if they still have seats available, if they do then apply. Of course, your chances are higher for 2019 but if a program has seats open for this cycle then you never know. Scholarships $$$ tend to finish by now but again I cannot say that you may or may not receive any if you apply for 2018.

Email all of your interested programs or call them and ask if they have seats available and take it from there.

No this does not look bad because now you can talk about your reasons for choosing Podiatry, so it will help during interviews and on your personal statement. The main reason Pod programs and few of us here recommend shadowing is to be sure that you guys really want to pursue this field and are not just making a random decision. In terms of 40 hours from a program pov, they just want to know you have shadowed, have that Pod letter and know what a DPM does.

Applying now vs 2019 is a personal choice, I can't really comment on that. I can tell you what I did though. I took the May 2017 mcat, got scores in June, but I had already completed everything on AACPMAS before the scores came out, so interviewed in June and started school in August. I was a non-trad and I did not want to spend another year not doing anything so I wanted to start right away. In your case, if you have a specific program in mind, email them and ask if they still have seats available, if they do then apply. Of course, your chances are higher for 2019 but if a program has seats open for this cycle then you never know. Scholarships $$$ tend to finish by now but again I cannot say that you may or may not receive any if you apply for 2018.

Email all of your interested programs or call them and ask if they have seats available and take it from there.

Do you think my MCAT of 494 is high enough to get accepted this cycle?

That depends on your cumulative and science undergrad GPAs. For example, if both are a 3.0 then a 495 is fine for this cycle, granted there are seats available.

I''m just afraid that if I apply this cycle (and it would probably the near the deadline within a week), that I will be rejected, and then they will also reject me next cycle because i wouldn't have anything significant to add to my application, you know?

I''m just afraid that if I apply this cycle (and it would probably the near the deadline within a week), that I will be rejected, and then they will also reject me next cycle because i wouldn't have anything significant to add to my application, you know?
I wouldn't worry about that at all.

1. Am I competitive for podiatry schools?
Depends. Your MCAT score is about average score for pod schools. It is good enough. Your Masters degree GPA is also good, but can you please share undergrad cumulative and science GPAs?

Besides stats, being a good fit to a field and a particular school in addition to having good interviewing skills is also part of being competitive.
2. Should I mention shadowing other health care providers on my application (DO/MD)? Especially if I have more hours shadowing them?
It is totally fine. I was initially pre- MD/DO and had about 120hrs of shadowing and only had 26 hours shadowing a podiatrist. I did fine and was accepted to both schools I have applied without being asked about MD/DO at all.
3. Should I try to apply for Fall 2018, or Fall 2019, and why?
Totally depends on your circumstances. It could depend on your age, location (if you have time to relocate), status, personal preferences, finances and so on.

Do you have a chance this cycle? As Dexter said, the only way to find out is to ask schools if they have open seats. If they are full, dont even apply.

I would think that some schools have open seats still.

Would it be better of applying in August? Probably. You would have higher chances of getting some scholarships. Have more time to find good housing and relocate.

I was almost ready to apply in April/May of 2017 to start last year, but I applied for the new cycle because I have a family and own a house. I probably wouldn't make the move before classes started. Also, I wouldn't want to start classes while moving or still unpacking. I would want at least 2 weeks of relaxing before classes start.
4. Where is there a source/link telling me how podiatry schools calculate their GPAs.
Google AACPMS Course Subjects.
Also, if I repeated a class, how is that calculated in the Podiatry school GPAs? Anyone have a link how Podiatry school calculates GPAs?
Same as if you would take any other course. Both courses and grades would count into GPA. All courses ever taken have to be reported.
3. I have 40 hours a shadowing a podiatrist. Is this good?
More than enough.

Depends. Your MCAT score is about average score for pod schools. It is good enough. Your Masters degree GPA is also good, but can you please share undergrad cumulative and science GPAs?

overall undergrad GPA is 3.0+
undergrad. sGPA was poor and sub 3.0 GPA
chemistry graduate GPA and sGPA is 3.6+

Totally depends on your circumstances. It could depend on your age, location (if you have time to relocate), status, personal preferences, finances and so on.

Do you have a chance this cycle? As Dexter said, the only way to find out is to ask schools if they have open seats. If they are full, dont even apply.

I would think that some schools have open seats still.

Would it be better of applying in August? Probably. You would have higher chances of getting some scholarships. Have more time to find good housing and relocate.

I was almost ready to apply in April/May of 2017 to start last year, but I applied for the new cycle because I have a family and own a house. I probably wouldn't make the move before classes started. Also, I wouldn't want to start classes while moving or still unpacking. I would want at least 2 weeks of relaxing before classes start.

I asked all 9 podiatry schools their current situation, and 2 replied so far.

One said they are only interviewing for waitlist spots, and the other said I should consider applying still.

For scholarships, how much money could I potentially earn? If its something like half of tuition, then maybe I should wait until August to apply?

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Why? Isn't it true that if I apply this late and get rejected due to issues with low/no seats available, that applying next year would fail because my application wouldn't have had any major changes?

overall undergrad GPA is 3.0+
undergrad. sGPA was poor and sub 3.0 GPA
chemistry graduate GPA and sGPA is 3.6+

I asked all 9 podiatry schools their current situation, and 2 replied so far.

One said they are only interviewing for waitlist spots, and the other said I should consider applying still.

For scholarships, how much money could I potentially earn? If its something like half of tuition, then maybe I should wait until August to apply?

Why? Isn't it true that if I apply this late and get rejected due to issues with low/no seats available, that applying next year would fail because my application wouldn't have had any major changes?

Your undergrad GPAs and MCAT score are not competitive enough for half-tuition like scholarships. You should first think of being accepted to a program by doing well in interviews, scholarships are secondary and are given case by case. I know few people with great stats that did not receive any, so it is hard to say if you will get any $ or not.

Unlike the MD/DO cycle, the Pod cycle is not as competitive so in case you do not receive any acceptances, your chances are still fine for next year. Just add some volunteering/clinical work until the cycle opens again so you can add that to your app.

Reactions: 1 user
I cant speak for admissions of course, but I really dont think it would be a problem. It's not MD/DO. If you are good candidate, they will give you a chance even if there would be nothing different because they would understand that you applied very late.

Do you have particular schools in mind?

I cant speak for admissions of course, but I really dont think it would be a problem. It's not MD/DO. If you are good candidate, they will give you a chance even if there would be nothing different because they would understand that you applied very late.

Do you have particular schools in mind?

Do you think I should ask them about how that application would work if I applied soon, and then applied 8-12 weeks later if I get rejected the first time?

I want to go to the midwest podiatry schools because they are the closest to me, so DMU-CPMS, SCPM, and KSUCPM.

Do you think I should ask them about how that application would work if I applied soon, and then applied 8-12 weeks later if I get rejected the first time?

I want to go to the midwest podiatry schools because they are the closest to me, so DMU-CPMS, SCPM, and KSUCPM.
You can ask. That wouldn't hurt.

Scholl might still have spots, but I think DMU may be already full.