Am I competitive enough for an ENT residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnp18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a third year med student and I have always been interested in surgery, but finally narrowed down my interest to ENT. I am just wondering whether I am competitive enough to get into an ENT residency. I have honored all of my classes with the exception of anatomy (high passed) and have just begun my clerkships. My step 1 score was 248 and I am currently working on a couple of case reports to get ready for publication. I have done research in cardiology, but it was not published but was presented at a conference. I also have an MBA. Is that competitive enough to get into an ENT residency or is there something extra that I need to do? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are in reasonably good shape. Follow the advice in Neutropeniaboy's post at the top of the ENT SDN forum page and you'll be a strong candidate to match.

MS3 here as well going for ENT. Maybe we'll in the same cohort of matched applicants! Based on advice I've gathered in person and from online: You have a good Step to get through screens (although I'm curious if some programs are using 250 for cutoff) and keep up the work on research. Try to get a relevant publication at least. Get nothing less than HP and Honors during 3rd year. These are all standards to begin with.

One piece of advice: Develop good rapport with the ENT faculty at your program. Join them in clinic or surgery on your days off - ask them about projects - ask them to join you for lunch to discuss advisement, research etc. etc. Just be present and engaged in their department. Go to events if you're allowed. These will get you a foot in the door for good letters and potentially an interview down the road.

Good luck to you with this process!