Am I competitive enough for ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is my research and development experience something that really sets me apart or am I constantly going to be asked "why didn't you input lab values into excel in a basic science lab like everyone else and get a paper out of it?"

Um....that's a douchey comment!! :thumbdown:
Obviously from the tone of what you're saying, you think the research that you did is superior to my excel based data gathering, and something tells me that if you have that attitude you're gonna piss some peeps off. However, you're probably right and it sounds like what you were doing was pretty cool work. Present it that way! (without the dis to how most of us do our research) Acknowledge that while your work was awesome, you have not published which, in the field of medicine, is generally accepted as the best measure of a person's research success.

Then get to work, start some sort of research during MS4 so that they can see you're not just trying to check research off of your checklist. Cause as far as I understand, they aren't looking at our CV to see how much we researched, they want to see what kind of contributions we are most likely going to make to their program (i.e. in the future).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The sticky is much appreciated and it's apparent how much thought was put into it.

If I could rephrase my last post into one question, is my research and development experience something that really sets me apart or am I constantly going to be asked "why didn't you input lab values into excel in a basic science lab like everyone else and get a paper out of it?"

I think your experience would set you apart from most applicants. I would personally be pretty intrigued by an interviewee who had helped design instruments that I now use in surgery. That being said, still get some ENT-related research published this fall.

I think your experience would set you apart from most applicants. I would personally be pretty intrigued by an interviewee who had helped design instruments that I now use in surgery. That being said, still get some ENT-related research published this fall.

Agree.

I've always had interesting conversations with engineers and product developers.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um....that's a douchey comment!! :thumbdown:
Obviously from the tone of what you're saying, you think the research that you did is superior to my excel based data gathering, and something tells me that if you have that attitude you're gonna piss some peeps off. However, you're probably right and it sounds like what you were doing was pretty cool work. Present it that way! (without the dis to how most of us do our research) Acknowledge that while your work was awesome, you have not published which, in the field of medicine, is generally accepted as the best measure of a person's research success.

Then get to work, start some sort of research during MS4 so that they can see you're not just trying to check research off of your checklist. Cause as far as I understand, they aren't looking at our CV to see how much we researched, they want to see what kind of contributions we are most likely going to make to their program (i.e. in the future).
Sorry about that. That was poorly worded and not my intention. Talked to a 4th year the other day who was going on and on that he had 3 publications on his app and was laughing that he spent 90% of his time on reddit. Made it seem so meaningless. Went on to talk about how he "founded" the ENT interest group, but never actually did anything; just a frustrating guy.

I'm sure that's not the case for the majority and most people get a lot out of those research months. Whatever your job, you're still observing the entire process of an idea becoming an experiment and adding to the field. I'm sure that's what interviewers are big on, being able to get your head around the process and be able to hit the ground running when it's time for you to contribute to the literature.

Last edited:
So Hi everyone,

I am in a different kind of situation, seeing that I have the IMG stigma and all.
I would definitely appreciate the feedback of attendings, residents and anyone that knows how ENT candidate selection occurs.

So here goes:
Currently MS4 at a foreign institution.
Step1: 256
Step2: 268
Our grading system is Excellent (Honors equivalent), Good (High pass-like) and Pass: Honors in IM and Surg clinicals.
Expecting like 4-5 publications in about a year's time. 3 of them first author. Nothing in ENT. Most are in medical education.
Planning to take a year or two to do research in head/neck cancer or stem cells and regeneration.
Have clinical electives in ENT that will take place over the next 2 months: CWRU and CCF/Mayo. (accepted to both CCF and Mayo, still haven't decided what to pick! I would appreciate input).

Plan is to apply to ENT (or plastics) in the US, to end up in head and neck reconstruction.
Working for an academic career in surgery.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Hi. I also was wondering if you could shed some light on my situation. I am finishing up third year right now. I have a PhD in physiology, but didnt do too hot in the first two years of med school, mostly passes with some high passes. Third year grades are high passes with honors in surgery and internal medicine. Step One score is 245. Had a number of family situations during the first two years. But I did manage to get lots of paper co-authorships, around 15 as of now with me being first or second author for most of them. They vary from basic science papers to case reports.
I'd appreciate any advice. I can get excellent letters from a number of people I have worked with. I really love otolaryngology, from basic science to operating, working with kids to elderly. What are my chances? I do want to be realistic and practical. If I have any chances, what schools would you recommend me to focus on and possibly do SubIs at? Thank you so much!