Am I competitive enough for my reach schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CMW18

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am studying Communication Disorders and going to be a senior. Right now I have a 3.40 GPA, this summer if I take 2 classes and make As, by the time I apply I will have a 3.50 GPA. I hear and read a lot of things that make me think I NEED a 3.5+ to even get into the schools I want (UT, UT Dallas, Boulder, Arizona State Uni. are some of my more reaching schools). I will take my GRE this summer, I am confident I can make a 300 or above. My resume is ok, I have some experience shadowing Audiologists and I have decent involvement, my rec letters from my teachers should be glowing (fingers crossed). I do have some "less competitive" schools on my list but I have my sights set on the ones above. I just don't know what to do or whats the most important, I want to be the most competitive I can.
 
Hi there! I am a first year student at a "top-ranked" AuD program, so I can't speak to competitiveness of your particular info from an admissions standpoint, but I certainly have some advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Ask your programs of interest if certain parts of your application will be weighed more heavily than others- it seems awkward but I had two schools lay out their exact point/percentage breakdown without me even asking a direct question. I found that GRE and GPA were 80% of the application decision for one school, but at another, that majority of the consideration was contained in GRE/GPA/letters of rec.