Am I going the right direction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JavaDocHopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please chime in.
I had a pretty rough first year due to personal reasons and a complete lack of knowledge on how to study for college level courses. My first year cGPA was 2.5 with my sGPA being 1.5 (2 C/C+, 2 D, 1 F). I turned myself around in my 3rd semester earning a 3.38/3.2 (a B and two B+ in my 3 retakes, I know...) and then a 3.6/3.57 in my 4th (Spring 2018). I took second semester Orgo and Orgo lab this last summer and unfortunately earned a B+ in both (3.33).
I'm a current Junior and my institutional cGPA is now 3.0 with my sGPA at 2.58 (both are slightly higher with all other credits factored in). I'm a non-science major, but am augmenting with a couple of upper levels over the next 4 semesters (besides pre-reqs) and I'm aiming to take Anatomy I & 2 over this upcoming summer at a CC while I finish my school's foreign language requirment. Currently I think I'll have my MCAT by this next summer and will aim to enroll into an SMP while applying broadly (mostly DO, and hopefully some in-state).

Currently have over 800 hours of ER scribing (1 year) and a rag tag assembly of service hours (starting consistently at a soup kitchen this next week). I've had no leadership experience in college, no shadowing outside of scribing, and have no research to my name.

tl;dr
cGPA 2.5 -> 3 with 4 semesters left and a solid upward trend. Tell me that I'm not being naive about continuing to pursue medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

As you know with your GPA, you can’t make mistakes from now on. You have a hill to climb at the moment, but it will depend what kind of effort you're willing to put in moving forward from here. A post-bacc program of some kind would be in order to help improve your GPA. A great MCAT score would help later on as well, but don't take that until you're ready. I'll go ahead and tag our famous @Goro

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please chime in.
I had a pretty rough first year due to personal reasons and a complete lack of knowledge on how to study for college level courses. My first year cGPA was 2.5 with my sGPA being 1.5 (2 C/C+, 2 D, 1 F). I turned myself around in my 3rd semester earning a 3.38/3.2 (a B and two B+ in my 3 retakes, I know...) and then a 3.6/3.57 in my 4th (Spring 2018). I took second semester Orgo and Orgo lab this last summer and unfortunately earned a B+ in both (3.33).
I'm a current Junior and my institutional cGPA is now 3.0 with my sGPA at 2.58 (both are slightly higher with all other credits factored in). I'm a non-science major, but am augmenting with a couple of upper levels over the next 4 semesters (besides pre-reqs) and I'm aiming to take Anatomy I & 2 over this upcoming summer at a CC while I finish my school's foreign language requirment. Currently I think I'll have my MCAT by this next summer and will aim to enroll into an SMP while applying broadly (mostly DO, and hopefully some in-state).

Currently have over 800 hours of ER scribing (1 year) and a rag tag assembly of service hours (starting consistently at a soup kitchen this next week). I've had no leadership experience in college, no shadowing outside of scribing, and have no research to my name.

tl;dr
cGPA 2.5 -> 3 with 4 semesters left and a solid upward trend. Tell me that I'm not being naive about continuing to pursue medicine.
As mentioned, you need to ace everything from now on. Doing a post-bac or SMP might be needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, don't stress about any lack of EC's right now. If anything, do whatever you can to focus as much time on your studies as possible. You are likely taking at least 1 gap year since you want senior grades and also possibly post-bacc grades on your transcript when you apply. You should have a couple years to build up your resume and show adcoms why you want to do medicine.

sGPA almost needs to be above 3.0 to even have a chance. Competition goes up every year. Everything else needs to take a back seat right now until your grades are up.

Thank you all for your input! It's very affirming to get advice from people who know more about the process than I do. I'll keep working and make sure to only move forward towards MCAT/ more ECs once I'm sure I've got my feet under me.

There's a place on the AACOMAS to provide any explanation for a portion of your application. When I see a bad first year with an upward trend, I always look in this section. Use it.

If you can take anatomy at university setting, it’ll weight heavier. Biochemistry, microbiology, Pharm are also courses that could boost that up.

I wouldn't worry about doing a post-bacc yet. Just ace the MCAT to make up for your low GPA.