Am I lacking in EC's or are they considered relatively competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazerunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ECs:
Research - 2 years (approximately 1000 hours)
50 hours volunteer at soup kitchen
250 hours as pharmacy tech in a hospital
100 hours volunteering in a hospital
50 hours shadowing DO - got DO LOR

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good enough.
Having clinical exposure, or anything else, isn't a "requirement" for any medical school (unlike PA schools). It usually serves as a plus. That doesn't mean you should just forget about it. I think you'll be okay.

However, I would recommend Scribing, EMT, or other clinical exposures instead of more volunteering if you are concerned.

As far as research, DO schools don't really care too much about research bc DO schools aren't research heavy. There are obviously some out there that do research but not many.
However, I'm sure it will be a plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're looking pretty good EC wise to me.

I had way less clinical experience than that and it was never brought up at any interview. What I did discuss, however, was my research experience at great length. It was the majority of the conversation I had at all my interviews and I got acceptances at all the DO interviews I went to. Ironically, the DO schools seemed more interested than the MD ones.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're rock solid.

ECs:
Research - 2 years (approximately 1000 hours) 1 publication submitted, under review
50 hours volunteer at soup kitchen
250 hours as pharmacy tech in a hospital
100 hours volunteering in psychiatric hospital
50 hours shadowing DO - got DO LOR
Worked about 8 hours per week throughout college doing various student employment jobs
worked during summers/winters doing painting remodeling houses/rooms type stuff

I'm worried my clinical experience isn't enough. All off the psych hospital and shadowing I started doing this past fall, because I didn't consider med school prior to that. By the time I apply I expect to have 200 hours hospital volunteering and 100ish hours shadowing most likely. Is this too little clinical exposure in the eyes of adcoms? I could start doing some hospice volunteering next semester, but would probably only accrue <50 hours before applying, and I already have a rather full schedule.

Also, do DO schools value research in the same way that MD schools do? I realize this is highly variable depending on school, but in general.

Good enough.
Having clinical exposure, or anything else, isn't a "requirement" for any medical school (unlike PA schools). It usually serves as a plus. That doesn't mean you should just forget about it. I think you'll be okay.

However, I would recommend Scribing, EMT, or other clinical exposures instead of more volunteering if you are concerned.

As far as research, DO schools don't really care too much about research bc DO schools aren't research heavy. There are obviously some out there that do research but not many.
However, I'm sure it will be a plus.

Yeah, I would try to get a job scribing or as an EMT if I wasn't taking classes and stuff in the spring. If I don't end up getting accepted this upcoming cycle then I would likely try to find a clinical job. Thank you.

You're looking pretty good EC wise to me.

I had way less clinical experience than that and it was never brought up at any interview. What I did discuss, however, was my research experience at great length. It was the majority of the conversation I had at all my interviews and I got acceptances at all the DO interviews I went to. Ironically, the DO schools seemed more interested than the MD ones.

Good luck!
That's interesting that that was a main focus for your DO interviews, that's good to know. Thanks.

You're rock solid.

Great, I'm sure you know better than anyone else on sdn so I'll take your word. Thank you very much