Am I making the right decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueBlood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent biology graduate who graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I did research in college (entomology) but never had clinical experience (except for high-school).Tomorrow I am registered to take the MCAT, but on 2 practice exams (taking them from beginning to end) I ended up getting a 24 and a 26. Obviously my chances of getting accepted are slim if I hit in that range.

My question is, should I delay taking the MCAT?

On one hand, I really want to get it over with. But on the other hand, I know applying will be a waste of money. Thus, most likely I will be retaking the MCAT again... which I been told is something you don't want to do unless it is an absolute; Obviously, scoring a 31 the first time is better than scoring a 31 the second time.

Furthermore, by delaying the MCAT, I will have the opporunity to strengthen my appplication. Recently I just joined the rescue squad and signed up for EMT classes. I also plan to shadow some DOs so that I can apply to osteopathic schools as well. Hopefully, these two things togeather (combined with a better MCAT score) will make me a competitive application.

Essentially, I just want some honest feedback about my decision. To be honest, the reason why I've waited so long to make this decision is because... I really.... really... don't want to wait two years to enter medical school. For some reason, I feel like a loser for even taking a year off after college... even though I know many people are in my shoes.

Furthermore, do medical schools know that you cancel your appointment dates? Cause I delayed it once, and then plan to cancel tonight.

Members don't see this ad.

Even with a 40 on the MCAT, it is going to be tough to get accepted without any clinical experience. Delay the MCAT, get some clinical experience, and apply next year, that's what I would do.

Members don't see this ad :)
take this time you would use to study for the MCAT to start volunteering at your local hospital. You need to have some clinical experience, the EMT thing will help but you will be taking the class soon so it doesn't count as experience yet.

Build up your experiences, take the mcat later and apply next year

So obviously, I can't cancel. Should I take the MCAT tomorrow just for practice (and void it), or not?

Not sure if admissions will see that I took the exam and voiding it or not.

So obviously, I can't cancel. Should I take the MCAT tomorrow just for practice (and void it), or not?

Not sure if admissions will see that I took the exam and voiding it or not.
Yes! No matter what, you can't get your money back. Do yourself a favor and take it as a practice exam at least. It would be infinitely more valuable than not taking it.