Am I making the right decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElizCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short-- acceptances at Scholl, Ohio and Temple. Ohio and Temple both offered roughly double the merit scholarship $ of Scholl. How did everyone else factor in scholarship $ when deciding? I like all three, but am perhaps leaning towards Ohio (put a deposit there already). Deadlines are coming up for the other two. Is it totally wrong to decide based on $ all other factors being equal?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed and was accepted at Scholl and DMU. DMU offered 4k renewable and Scholl offered a half-tuition. Even though Scholl offered a much larger up front scholarship, I still have decided to go to DMU because it will still be cheaper overall. Although the price wasn't my biggest factor, it certainly did play a part in the decision process.

I think one of the biggest things to pay attention to is to decide which one would you feel most comfortable at. I used to living in "smaller-town" atmospheres, even though Des Moines is not a small town, I felt more comfortable there and at their smaller campus.

Best of luck in your decision process!

That's my problem. All other factors are pretty much equal. I liked all of the schools and see pros/cons for each of them. I felt I would fit in at all 3. I just feel ridiculous that after all the work to get into school, I'm deciding which one to select based on something as relatively inconsequential as scholarship $!

What ultimately pushed everyone else one way or the other when they were deciding again essentially equally weighted choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
If all other external factors truly are equal, then basing your decision on scholarship money is not the worst decision you could make.

However, everybody's personal situation is a bit different. For instance, do you have a spouse or kids to consider? How about the distance you live away from family at one school compared to another? Where do you think you will be challenged the most academically? Which school do you think will give you the greatest opportunities to thrive, personally, academically, and professionally? What does each city/school offer in terms of extracurricular activities away from studying? Where did you feel the most comfortable during interviews? Are these scholarships renewable? If so, what is the criteria? - GPA, being in the top X% of your class? What does your gut feeling tell you to do?

These are just a few items off the top of my head. If in all honesty these factors are truly equal to each other across the board, then choose the school you will attend based upon criteria that matters to you. If this criteria ends up being scholarship money, then it ends up being scholarship money. In the end, commit yourself to a school according what matters most to you, be happy with your decision and don't waste time second-guessing yourself or else you'll always wonder 'what if'. Hope this helps. Best of luck!:)

All else being equal? I'd definitely go to the school that saved me the most money...again, only if it is truly a toss-up with everything else being considered