MD & DO Am I moving in the right direction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boolean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
....are you kidding me? You have all of this and you are only a freshman? Decent applicant would be an understatement if you kept your trends this solid and consistent until you were a junior like me. Awesome. You are still far away from MCAT, but assuming you destroy it, you are golden.

I wouldn't make the conclusion of 'upward trend' after only completing 1 semester of college.

Nevertheless, you're fine. You're a freshman so do freshman like things, but don't gain the Freshman 15 :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
....are you kidding me? You have all of this and you are only a freshman? Decent applicant would be an understatement if you kept your trends this solid and consistent until you were a junior like me. Awesome. You are still far away from MCAT, but assuming you destroy it, you are golden.
I probably sound fairly neurotic, I realize this! My apologies. Say I get around 35-36 on the MCAT, would I stand a decent chance at any allopathic schools?
I wouldn't make the conclusion of 'upward trend' after only completing 1 semester of college.

Nevertheless, you're fine. You're a freshman so do freshman like things, but don't gain the Freshman 15 :rofl:
Unaware of what freshman things are, haha. But certainly trying to get in better shape. Thank you!

But again, Brawns has a good point. Take this with a grain of salt, applying is so far away for you

But again, Brawns has a good point. Take this with a grain of salt, applying is so far away for you
Certainly. It's a bit reassuring to know that I'm on somewhat of the right track. I don't want to be moving in a wrong direction that would hinder progress towards becoming a good applicant (and ultimately a good doctor, I hope)

Boolean, you are clearly on the right track very early on in your college career (though maybe not that early on if you plan on graduating early with your extra credits). Keep up what your doing with volunteering and look to seriously invest in research during the coming years if that is something you really enjoy. Though, it is better to pick one lab and stick with it than to spread yourself across two labs. Besides that make sure to do some fun things because it looks like you are working yourself pretty hard. Maybe pick up an intramural sport or something. You're a freshman, act like it! ;)

Boolean, you are clearly on the right track very early on in your college career (though maybe not that early on if you plan on graduating early with your extra credits). Keep up what your doing with volunteering and look to seriously invest in research during the coming years if that is something you really enjoy. Though, it is better to pick one lab and stick with it than to spread yourself across two labs. Besides that make sure to do some fun things because it looks like you are working yourself pretty hard. Maybe pick up an intramural sport or something. You're a freshman, act like it! ;)
The second lab is more of a data-entry type deal, it's quite easy. The professor basically reached out to me and asked if I could do it, and I'd be receiving first author in the paper. Hence why I'm wishing to maybe stick around for a bit. The other research is my primary motive and goes hand in hand with what I am directly interested in. Will certainly try to increase the amount of fun things. I currently play badminton, but practice times often conflict with my other activities. Thanks for the advice!

I'd suggest you get something interesting going for your non-clinical volunteering. Most scout things are probably behind you, since you did them TO GET TO Eagle. Med schools want to focus on what you've done in college, not hs. Other than ECs, it can be very telling of what's important to you.

I'd suggest you get something interesting going for your non-clinical volunteering. Most scout things are probably behind you, since you did them TO GET TO Eagle. Med schools want to focus on what you've done in college, not hs. Other than ECs, it can be very telling of what's important to you.
That's true. Any suggestions of possible non-clinical? I've looked into habitat for humanity and similar programs, not sure if that would be the right thing to do though.

Haven't quite seen too much from the DO side of things. @Goro, any suggestions?