Am i on the right track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3levelscorer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am i on the right track to apply for the 2021 cycle in terms of extracurriculars

-By the time the application begins I will have
- 7 months of research
-Lots of volunteering experience (giving out HIV tests, getting people to join a bone marrow registry, basketball camp counselor)
-7 months of working as a PT tech (patient experience)
-Shadowed orthopedic surgeons and pediatricians
-Leadership experience

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nobody can say if you're competitive for anything without a tangible MCAT score and subsection breakdown to work with. A 3.7 GPA with a 490 MCAT is not competitive no matter what. A 3.7 GPA with a 514 is not competitive for anywhere if the breakdown is 132/132/118/132.

Again, nobody can say how competitive you are without an MCAT score and a lot of people here (especially Goro) don't do hypothetical scenarios.

Nobody can say if you're competitive for anything without a tangible MCAT score and subsection breakdown to work with. A 3.7 GPA with a 490 MCAT is not competitive no matter what. A 3.7 GPA with a 514 is not competitive for anywhere if the breakdown is 132/132/118/132.

Again, nobody can say how competitive you are without an MCAT score and a lot of people here (especially Goro) don't do hypothetical scenarios.
ok bro let me rephrase, am i on the right track in terms of extracurriculars lol

Members don't see this ad :)
ok bro let me rephrase, am i on the right track in terms of extracurriculars lol
Again, based on what you wrote nobody can really say. We don't know how many hours of shadowing or clinical experience you'll have, or what you mean by "leadership experience". I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to push you to elaborate more on what exactly it is that is going to be on your app so we can properly advise you.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, based on what you wrote nobody can really say. We don't know how many hours of shadowing or clinical experience you'll have, or what you mean by "leadership experience". I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to push you to elaborate more on what exactly it is that is going to be on your app so we can properly advise you.
Ok
-300 hours of being a PT tech
-President of club dedicated to getting people to join a blood stem cell donor registry
-about 100 hours of shadowing (40 in ortho, 60 in peds)
-I just started research so it will likely continue into my senior year, (approx 100 hours by May)
-About 160 hours of volunteering

Shadowing is fine. So stop doing that.
What’s a PT tech? Physical Therapist?
Basically you need 200+ hours in clinical experience. This means direct, face to face contact with the sick, injured and dying.
You also need 200+ hours in nonclinical volunteering with the unserved/underserved in your community. You might be okay in this area but you need to get out of your comfort zone and get off campus. Find a soup kitchen or homeless shelter or something that forces you to interact with people unlike yourself. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism .as a physician you will be working and dealing with people very unlike yourself.
As to research, since you have shared no stats we have no idea what types of schools you will be applying to. For some research is a big thing, at others it’s not so important. So we can’t help you with this at all.