Am I nuts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mx300

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill try and be brief. But any info or advice would be appreciated. AMG (MD), applied path, now have 2 CS failures ( I know, I know, something funny happened at the testing center at my last attempt and I am in the process of contesting it). I am going to fork over the money and take a course and retaking my 3rd attempt in Jan.

I was a late comer to path, and now I am having cold feet after being on interviews. My school doesnt have a path residency so my rotations during 3rd year were with the attendings only. I have been thinking about FM and I am wondering if I am being stupid even considering it with 2 CS failures? I know it makes me sound like Im some socially awkward weirdo who touches ppl inappropriately :laugh:. I might not even be ranked by programs because I dont have a pass by ROL, so I was thinking of trying to SOAP into FM. I should have my 3rd attempt back by march, hopefully its a pass this time.

Members don't see this ad.

where I went to residency, the CS portion of boards really wasn't looked up as that important (but it was fairly new back then in 2005). Its so subjective and residency can teach you how to be a doctor. The written exams where looked upon much more weighted. With that being said it will come down to the program director. You may end up in a program where no one else will want to go but at this point if someone will take you at least for intern year then you can have a chance to shine. Don't be picky and apply everywhere.

I definitely recommend taking a course - I failed the first time and the course really taught me the template of how to do a CS case. Also, going to the CS centre early and trying to find others who are preparing for the exam really helps. Even if you are not IMG, most are nice and will practice with you. Also, I am assuming you are American, so I think you can continue to apply for positions even after March because you don't need a visa. As it stands, I think quite a few programs lose matched students b/c of visa issues between March and July. Still, the best option is the main match and SOAP. I think the most prudent thing to do is to do the course, practice every single day and go to the center early to make sure you pass this time. Also, you need to have a really good and reasonable explanation for why you failed the CS exam, then the programs may give you a pass on it. Also, if you think you will be going into SOAP, it would be prudent to get copies of the LORs you want to use so that you can send your application to programs outside of ERAS. Continuing to do well on your rotations into the match and beyond may redeem you as well.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, Path and FM are very different. Are you sure? Thats the bigger picture here.
I would imagine Path is easier to match in with CS failures because you never really talk to patients.. vs. the other.

Reactions: 1 user
With two board failures I would take whatever you can get

Also, definitely retake a CS prep course and reach out to your school and try to get a few recorded practice cases to go over your performance because you need to get this right

Reactions: 1 user