am i okay to change majors this late in the game?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koonai_Bhai

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a zoology major - english lit. junior at the university of oklahoma, and i'm planning on going 5 years to boost my gpa.

recently i've been thinking about switching to an english lit major and zoo minor, but i'm afraid its too late. i only have 2 more years.

i'm not really worried about being able to finish the credits...i'm pretty sure i can take care of it (but a double major might be a stretch). i just don't know if an admissions committee would see that as chickening out of a science degree, or me following my interests. because i truly decided to go pre-med over this last winter break, and now i feel like i've really found my interests. but it might be too late to follow that up.

what do you think...change or not?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

so many people change their majors. no its not gonna matter if you changed your major, nowhere will it say that you were trying to do this major and then stopped and picked up a different major and if it did...it wouldnt really matter.

just rock the mcat :)

and you'll be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Koonai_Bhai
i just don't know if an admissions committee would see that as chickening out of a science degree, or me following my interests.

They don't read that much into it.

I changed majors after 2 years and ended up going 4.5 total....they won't care.

I changed my major in the senior year of college. It even said my old major on my AMCAS because I sent my transcript in to AMCAS before I changed my major. It was no problem.

Originally posted by Koonai_Bhai
i'm a zoology major - english lit. junior at the university of oklahoma, and i'm planning on going 5 years to boost my gpa.

recently i've been thinking about switching to an english lit major and zoo minor, but i'm afraid its too late. i only have 2 more years.

i'm not really worried about being able to finish the credits...i'm pretty sure i can take care of it (but a double major might be a stretch). i just don't know if an admissions committee would see that as chickening out of a science degree, or me following my interests. because i truly decided to go pre-med over this last winter break, and now i feel like i've really found my interests. but it might be too late to follow that up.

what do you think...change or not?

thanks

How could Adcom know you changed your major. Does it shows up on your transcript?

I changed my major in my third year but it never brought up during my interviews because nowhere in my record indicate so.
:smuggrin: :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Even if they know you change your major, it should not be a problem as long as you can explain, but don't change too often. :p :p

Originally posted by lealf-ye
How could Adcom know you changed your major. Does it shows up on your transcript?

I changed my major in my third year but it never brought up during my interviews because nowhere in my record indicate so.
:smuggrin: :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Even if they know you change your major, it should not be a problem as long as you can explain, but don't change too often. :p :p

WEll I know my university states on your official transcript what your major is and when/if you changed it and to what. maybe other schools do that too? we are a big state U so im guessing it happens other places too.

my trascript shows the majors along with the semesters...do you think it still doesn't matter?

Became pre-med at end of 4 years. Took 5 and a quarter to get my B.S. No actual "pre-med" major at Ohio State, so I've got an agricultural major on my aacomas.

Just do it.:horns:

-NS

It doesn't really matter what you major in as long as you enjoy what you're studying and DO WELL in the major. Med schools won't care about your major...but they will care about the grades you earned in your major.

i'm worried because some of my science grades are low, and then i'm switching to english...

They don't care what your major is as long as you have the required classes.