WAMC/Am I on track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LouieWilder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
State/country of residence: New England

Ties to other states/regions: Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, Mississippi

URM: Yes

Veteran: Yes

School: Ivy

Year in school: Junior

Undergraduate major: medical anthropology

Cumulative GPA: 3.83

Science GPA: 3.64

MCAT: scheduled for SPR2022 (AAMC Sample: 502)

Research: 0 (discussing ideas to pursue with a faculty mentor)

Clinical: Line medic military for 7+yrs (2010-2017), starting medical assistant position next week

Physician shadowing: 8 hrs (trauma)

Non-clinical volunteering: veteran mentor for transitioning veterans, USO, Meals on Wheels during COVID, Big Brother (my passion is helping veterans, minorities, and underserved populations)

Other extracurriculars: multiple leadership positions in military career

Employment: manufacturing and merchandising for 7 years prior to military, work-study currently

No immediate or extended family in medicine.

Specialties of interest: Orthopedics (surgery) and psych but open.

Medical school list: anywhere in New England/NYC (preferred due to spouse's career), Vanderbilt, Kaiser, Vermont, schools that emphasize diversity or focus on underserved communities.

Issues: 3 year gap in clinical work, little leadership outside of military, zero research, a lot of my ECs will happen in a 9 month span before applications open.

I appreciate any advice @Faha, @Goro, or any of the other SME's can give on chances as well as areas to focus or disregard.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely on track!

And many thanks for your service to our country.

Get in about 50 hrs of shadowing. Try to get some with longitudinal care.

No need for. Research.

Once you have your MCAT score, we can advise on list.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely on track!

And many thanks for your service to our country.

Get in about 50 hrs of shadowing. Try to get some with longitudinal care.

No need for. Research.

Once you have your MCAT score, we can advise on list.
@Goro,

I appreciate the advice and support. It's been a long road to get to this point so it's reassuring to hear this from someone with your expertise. I will follow up after I take the MCAT for school list advice. Thanks again.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
You should be pretty good. Until you get an MCAT, you should check out all the various schools to see if there are affinity organizations for military veterans/reservists and their families (mine does). I don't know if military medicine is what you want to do, but if so, seek out military medicine interest groups at the schools. Do your homework and really maximize your opportunities to get noticed. I believe we have an SDN forum specifically for military medicine and vets elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users