Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imsoldout2jesus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advise on my current thought patterns,:idea: Im in pursuit of becomming a veternarian, I have no experience coupled with no schooling ( i'm starting at a JC with animal science introduction for wintersession 2009) I was thinking that it may be a good idea to become a RVT first and then further my education in the future to meet Vet school requirements. Does this make any sense to you? Can you help me get on the right track if this is not it?

Members don't see this ad.

I need some advise on my current thought patterns,:idea: Im in pursuit of becomming a veternarian, I have no experience coupled with no schooling ( i'm starting at a JC with animal science introduction for wintersession 2009) I was thinking that it may be a good idea to become a RVT first and then further my education in the future to meet Vet school requirements. Does this make any sense to you? Can you help me get on the right track if this is not it?

I never thought much of that route. However, if a RVT will land you a decent paying job as a tech, and you can work while doing your undergrad, you will certainly gain valuable insight to the proffession, experience you will need to be competative, and $.

However, if you can get a decent paying tech job (even if you have to start as an assistant), I'd forgo a RVT degree for your formal education thereby getting a move on your prereqs. Some states have laws in place about what you can and can't do without being a RVT.

Also, and I may be wrong, but your time spent getting your RVT will not hasten your timeline before you can apply to a vet school. Pretty sure it will slow you done by at least a year, as I can't imagine you will be fulfilling many of your prereqs. in that program, certainly not 2 years worth (Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Physics I and II, Organic I and II, and your englishe's ect. are usually done in the first 2-2.5 years of undergrad)

Last edited:
Don't bother with the RVT, it'll slow you down and you don't need it to work as a technician.
Focus on your school work and make sure you get killer grades - especially math & science.
Also start getting experience with allllll types of animals - dairy/swine/sheep/birds/zoo/horses via volunteer work.
Ask your local feed store/pet shop/zoo.
Ask to shadow a sm animal veterinarian...that might lead to a job as a kennel tech/receptionist or straight to vet technician if you're bright and take notes while shadowing ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Infinivet. I am an RVT, but I became one *after* I got a job as an unlicensed tech (passing the test got me a much needed raise!) Also, in my state, you can take the test with a Bachelor's degree in a "related science", so I didn't have to do anything extra. It did help me get some experience at an emergency clinic, but I think I could have found something comparable even without being licensed.

I'm currently in school to become an RVT/LVT, and plan on continuing on to do vet prereqs and vet school in the future.

I can agree that you certainly don't have to have it to get the experience you need to apply to vet school, and that it will in fact put you behind because typically the science courses required for the RVT are specifically geared toward that program, meaning that they will take up time you could be spending on prereqs like general bio, physics, chem, etc.

BUT...

Becoming an RVT/LVT can have advantages. For example, if you are at all unsure of your desire to be in veterinary medicine, the classes will certainly help you figure out if it's right for you. (Or, if you are like me, they can "fan the flame" and make your desire to go to vet school twice as strong... lol) Being an RVT also means that you not only learn, for example, how to run a blood chemistry, but what those numbers mean. Which I'm sure could be very useful in vet school, knowing that you already have a pretty solid general knowledge of things that many people have to start from square one on. Not to mention being registered, as others have said, boosts your resume and opens up more job opportunities. Oh... and, one of my favorite advantages... most of the professors for our vet tech program are also vets, which means that when I do send in my vet school apps, I can have recommendation letters from people who can attest to both my academic abilities AND my clinical skills/knowledge of the field/etc---all in one letter!

Not saying that you should or shouldn't do the RVT thing. Sometimes I wish I hadn't because I could almost be done w/ pre-reqs by now (if not completely done), but other times I think about how much I'm learning, and the confidence I'm gaining in my skills, and I feel a little relief knowing that it may give me just a slight little edge in the battle w/ the mountain of textbooks I'll be facing when I finally get into vet school.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited:
*disclaimer- not at all putting down LVT/RVT* if you're astute, curious, and choose a mentor wisely you can learn all the things cattech mentioned without going through the licensing proceedure. If you're sure you want to do vetmed, then you should go for it and find a clinic that is willing to take you on as an unlicensed tech and then learn all that you can while you are there- pick up text books on your breaks (they'll be all over the place) ask questions at appropriate times, most vets like to teach, ask to borrow books or take home handouts and JAVMA copies (also sure to be lying around). These sorts of things will come through to the vets you're working for, if they're worth their salt, and will look great on a letter of rec, which you'll be asking them for. If you're luke warm or not totally committed then yes, LVT/RVT might be the better option.

if you're astute, curious, and choose a mentor wisely you can learn all the things cattech mentioned without going through the licensing proceedure.

I totally agree. The OTJ trained vs RVT argument has happened a hundred times in a hundred places, but I don't think that anyone believes that an OTJ trained assistant is some sort of machine who just does what the doctor asks without understanding or at least asking so that they CAN understand. I mean, who would want that sort of staff member anyway? :D

I didn't mean to imply that OTJ trained techs were machines... sorry if I offended anyone.

I still think there is a difference though, but really don't care to get in a debate. All I will say that it seems the AVMA would not bother taking the time to evaluate & accredit educational programs for training licensed vet techs if they didn't think there was an advantage to a tech having that training and being licensed.

However, it is of course not required for pursuing vet school, which is the OP's goal. So I'm in no way saying to go to tech school, just pointing out some advantages.

I agreed with CatTech. I am in the 2nd vet tech class right now. I feel that I am learning so many new things everyday. It really extend my knowledge on how and *why* we do a lot of things and the use of drugs in this field. This will definitely make life easier in the vet school (if I get into one..) I don't mean OJT will not pick those knowledge up from work, but it's more systemic way of learning. I also work full-time at the side of being a full-time student for past 2 years, and I was OJT 1 year before that. I am tired most of the time but I am able to learn better when I apply/repeat the knowledge I just learned from school at work AT THE SAME DAY. (My vet is great - she doesn't mind if I bug her for ANY sort of questions. I ask her one question, she gives me 10 answers back.)

From the tech school, I also learned to go to conference and symposiums. (Tech students also get discounted price or free.) I learned to build network. I learned the nursing side of the animals, and I consider it's quite important to know it in the real world/clinical setting.

As CatTech mentions, I do sometimes wish I could just finish pre-vet stuff then move on (especially since I already have a BS degree). Without going to the tech program, I should already have done with all my pre-vet and applied school right at this moment. But I am going into the route to have a child first (next year) then go to vet school after 4 or 5 years. For me, obtaining vet tech license right now is going to be more useful for me.

If you don't have a BS yet, maybe it's good to do some vet tech stuffs. While finishing your BS degree and applying for vet school, you can take 1 or 2 vet tech classes. Although getting the tech certificate is not your ultimate goal, any of tech classes will somehow prepare you better for vet school.

But I will say finishing your pre-vet course first with the killer grade.