Help?? Am i doing this right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eunoiaaa

Reaction score
Hey guys!

i am new to this forum and am really looking for some advice and support, as veterinary medicine is not a very popular major around my area. i am finishing up my second year of college and want to pursue vet medicine. But, im worried about the prereqs for vet school itself and making it match my Bachelors degree, as well as fitting in things like animal experience and working/shadowing/volunteering under a vet. my boss (who is a vet) says i need to just look at the prereqs and go talk to the vet schools in person. i am not in a position to do that so i have been looking at the websites. i just really dont want to finish four years, go to apply, and realize i forgot to do something and it end up taking a much longer amount of time. is this just me? or anyone else? any tips, advice, support, or past experiences are welcome! just trying to find some kind of support on this journey!
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

i am new to this forum and am really looking for some advice and support, as veterinary medicine is not a very popular major around my area. i am finishing up my second year of college and want to pursue vet medicine. But, im worried about the prereqs for vet school itself and making it match my Bachelors degree, as well as fitting in things like animal experience and working/shadowing/volunteering under a vet. my boss (who is a vet) says i need to just look at the prereqs and go talk to the vet schools in person. i am not in a position to do that so i have been looking at the websites. i just really dont want to finish four years, go to apply, and realize i forgot to do something and it end up taking a much longer amount of time. is this just me? or anyone else? any tips, advice, support, or past experiences are welcome! just trying to find some kind of support on this journey!
thanks!
Every school has a list of what is required for admission. You start weeding out what schools will be a good fit for you financially and make sure you fit what they want in an applicant and work on those particular requirements. If you have questions along the way, every school has people that answer questions via email or phone call. I would recommend checking in periodically throughout your journey as these requirements change from year to year. Also make sure you get them done as cheaply as possible as vet school is an expensive endeavor and you need to keep your incoming debt preferably zero, or as low as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, and
sml_gallery_15587_3010_20.gif
to the forum! You will find many knowledgable people here that will offer you advice based on their experiences. This means advice will vary, and it will be up to you to make an informed decision based off said advice. This field is currently experiencing many issues including a high debt to income ratio and high rate of suicide, so I definitely suggest you wander around the site, using the search function to read through the various threads to find even more knowledge. During your journey, keep questioning what about vet medicine is worth the journey and never forgo outside hobbies and interests to ensure that you are developing into a well rounded person. That is my general advice to anyone new and just beginning their journey. haha

Reactions: 2 users