Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chem4Days

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About a month ago I took Kaplan's diagnostic and scored a 23 8/8/7. Since then i have been doing some content review (about a 1/3 of the way through). I just took Kaplan FL 1 and scored a 29 10/10/9. My real test is on the 23rd of May. Is this decent progress in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is not the best tool for gauging your progress. (though an increase of 6 points is pretty good)

If you really want to know how well you stand, take one of the official AAMCs. They are the closest you can get to the real thing.

Kaplan is not the best tool for gauging your progress. (though an increase of 6 points is pretty good)

If you really want to know how well you stand, take one of the official AAMCs. They are the closest you can get to the real thing.

I can totally see what you mean. I got a TON wrong on the PS section and still scored a 10 (30/52). I feel like there's no way I can make that many mistakes on the real deal and still come out with a ten.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can totally see what you mean. I got a TON wrong on the PS section and still scored a 10 (30/52). I feel like there's no way I can make that many mistakes on the real deal and still come out with a ten.

Yeah. Kaplan has a very weird curve attached to their PS section. Some say that it's because their PS section is more difficult than the real thing, so they have to make it easier by adjusting the curve.... but that seems extremely artificial to me.:confused:

Use the AAMC tests if you really want to know where you stand.

Since you are not finished with content, go over what you missed and if it is covered by what you've studied so far. If it is, then you know there is a problem otherwise you are in a good spot for being 2 months out from test date.

Yeah it seems most of what I was missing was simply things I had not covered yet, particularly circuits and electrostatics. If I knew what a dielectric did to a capacitor, 4 more questions would have been right! I'm hoping that once I iron out all my content deficiencies, I'll be in that nice 33-35 range.