Am I overkilling it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nattmelson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm worried that I'm applying to too many dental schools. I have 13 schools I'm applying to. Here's a snapshot.

-WA resident (PNW bois represent)
-3.44cGPA
-3.30sGPA
-22AA, 23PAT
-3 years neuroscience research
-Honors college student at my state Uni

I'm applying to 13 schools:
NYU, UW, USC, UoP, Columbia, UCSF, OHSU, UNLV, Tufts, Temple, LECOM, Roseman, Midwestern.

Let me know what you guys Think.
*just updated my list, got rid of Upenn, UCLA, Marquette and replaced them with LECOM, Roseman, UoP.

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UPENN, UCLA, USCF, and Columbia are a little out of your reach with your GPA....
UCSF has a 3.51c GPA avg.
UPENN has a 3.60c GPA avg.
Columbia has a 3.50c GPA avg.

I do agree about UCLA however! Their average is around 3.70. but I wanted to include some "reaches" anyways.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The UCs are pretty tough for anyone coming out of state. If you look at their out of state enrollment, the odds aren't in your favor. they are stacked with the top kids from UCLA, berkeley, irvine etc.

I just applied to 14 schools, paid all the fees (over $2k) , and i regret it immensely. Apply to programs you actually see yourself at.

Reactions: 1 users
UCLA enrolled 7 people out of 1,300 out of state applicants last year. Did you look through the AADSAS book before looking at your schools?

UCLA enrolled 7 people out of 1,300 out of state applicants last year. Did you look through the AADSAS book before looking at your schools?
I didnt know that, thats ridiculous! UCLA is coming off my list lol. Thx bruv

Reactions: 1 user
No, you are not applying to too many schools, but you are applying to too hard to reach schools.

No, you are not applying to too many schools, but you are applying to too hard to reach schools.
I got rid of UCLA, Marquette, and UPENN and changed them to Roseman, LECOM, and UoP. Thoughts on my new list?

Hey guys, I'm worried that I'm applying to too many dental schools. I have 13 schools I'm applying to. Here's a snapshot.

-3.44cGPA
-3.30sGPA
-22AA, 23PAT

NYU, UW, USC, UoP, Columbia, UCSF, OHSU, UNLV, Tufts, Temple, LECOM, Roseman, Midwestern.

*just updated my list, got rid of Upenn, UCLA, Marquette and replaced them with LECOM, Roseman, UoP.

Being that you have a lower gpa than average you should apply more broadly. You can choose somw reach schools but beware of the OOS percentages and realize you will be lower on their list compared to a person with a 4.0 and a 22. I would apply in the 12-15 range with 3 of them reaches.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Being that you have a lower gpa than average you should apply more broadly. You can choose somw reach schools but beware of the OOS percentages and realize you will be lower on their list compared to a person with a 4.0 and a 22. I would apply in the 12-15 range with 3 of them reaches.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for the reply! What would you consider a "reach" though? For my stats, DAT isn't an Issue.. So like any school with a 3.65+ GPA avg?

-3.44cGPA
-3.30sGPA
-22AA, 23PAT

Yessssss fellow PNW native & WA resident here! I also have a 22AA/23PAT and for OOS schools, I'm also applying to VCU and Maryland since I heard they were a little bit more friendly to OOS students

Yessssss fellow PNW native & WA resident here! I also have a 22AA/23PAT and for OOS schools, I'm also applying to VCU and Maryland since I heard they were a little bit more friendly to OOS students
Thanks man!

UCSF has a 3.51c GPA avg.
UPENN has a 3.60c GPA avg.
Columbia has a 3.50c GPA avg.

I do agree about UCLA however! Their average is around 3.70. but I wanted to include some "reaches" anyways.

man I keep forgetting how low the GPA's actually are at a lot of the "high ranked" schools

man I keep forgetting how low the GPA's actually are at a lot of the "high ranked" schools
I have no doubt that you are a very intelligent student. But whichever school you attend, you will find that many of your classmates will surprise you. People will come in with lower GPAs and outperform many, while others will come in with higher GPAs and find that they do not do as well as they thought they would.
Once you're in dental school, no one talks about GPA and DAT because it just doesn't matter anymore.

Reactions: 3 users
I have no doubt that you are a very intelligent student. But whichever school you attend, you will find that many of your classmates will surprise you. People will come in with lower GPAs and outperform many, while others will come in with higher GPAs and find that they do not do as well as they thought they would.
Once you're in dental school, no one talks about GPA and DAT because it just doesn't matter anymore.
True just how no one cares about SAT/ACT once in college

yea wasn't trying to knock on any school or say they were less intelligent. Just so different from requirements of ivy med ones is all. And I'm sure you're right since you're more experienced than me + I can't help but feel not intelligent despite decent stats.

yea wasn't trying to knock on any school or say they were less intelligent. Just so different from requirements of ivy med ones is all. And I'm sure you're right since you're more experienced than me + I can't help but feel not intelligent despite decent stats.
You got this!