This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantasticMrButtons

Reaction score
Currently debating between MD and MD/PhD. I understand the differences between the programs, and I'm really leaning towards MD/PhD because I've loved my research experiences as an undergrad. My biggest kicker (I think) is that I first authored a paper accepted by a pretty high impact factor journal in Chemistry (IF = 12+) (I'm also expecting more co-authorships but not sure if they'll be submitted in time). However, it's not really medicine/biology related - it's more so materials and chemistry - but I did it because it has to do with climate change and I could really see the impact in terms of helping combat global warming.

Now my research interests are shifting as I take more and more bio classes; can I still go for MD/PhD, even though my research experiences aren't in a biology-related field (provided that my MCAT is 520+)? I'm also hoping to join a biomaterials-related lab during my gap year.

Other stats are okay (I think):
Engineering major
GPA = 3.95
MCAT (haven't taken, but will do soon)?
Multiple leadership positions, with 1 executive committee position.
A lot of nonclinical volunteering.
A little low on the clinical volunteering side (have ~100 hrs. shadowing), but will make up for it this summer and after.
I'm sure my recs will be great (I was the only undergrad in my college (a division of the university) to first-author a paper this year, and the only one to first-author in a high IF journal ever under my current PI.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be a strong candidate. MD-PhD programs are looking for smart scientists, even if they happen to have limited exposure to biomedical research. It is a lot easier to teach a chemist some biology, than to teach a biologist some chemistry. If your research interests for the PhD lie in biomaterials or chemistry, make sure you review the non-traditional PhD offerings at https://students-residents.aamc.org...aining/non-basic-science-phd-training-school/

Reactions: 2 users
If you get 520+ and can write strong statements and secondaries, you'll get love from a lot of good programs. I've met a lot of engineering majors on the interview trail. Yesterday I was talking to someone who said they're going to do inorganic chemistry for their PhD. And then there are a bunch of people who are interested in social science, human rights, medical humanities, anthropology, etc. Long story short there are a lot of good candidates with research interests outside the traditional biomedical sciences. In fact, it might even be something that sets you apart positively; I can't tell you how many people are doing an NIH postbacc and want to do immuno, micro, genetics, or neuro (myself included). At some point, I bet it's a breath of fresh air when you're an admissions person and you come across an applicant with something different.

That's my perspective from the applicant side of things, at least.

Reactions: 1 user