Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stronghopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a sohpomore, but I've tanked my last two semesters

Freshman:

Semester 1:

3.61- A in CHM, A in MTH, B in BIO

Semester 2:

2.79- B+ in MTH, B+ in BIO LAB, B in CHM, C- in BIO

Semester 3:

3.14- A- in ORGO, B+ in Neuro, B+ In RSCH, C+ in Genetics

*If I get a 4.0 for my next 3 semesters, I can still end up with a 3.6-3.7 CUM*

It looks like I've totally screwed up my bio classes. Will they even take credit for my BIO classes, and do I have to retake both of them?

Am I also screwed for any rsch programs to apply for over the summer?

Really panicking now..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like I've totally screwed up my bio classes. Will they even take credit for my BIO classes, and do I have to retake both of them?

Really panicking now..

1) take higher level bio classes to make make up for your not so stellar bio grades

2) Your bio grades will be averaged in regardless, unless your shooting for DO which accepts retakes of classes, dont even bother retaking them since apparently your posting in pre allo so i assume you're shooting for MD

3) you can do research later, right now focus on your grades, since right now your a little less then borderline for the avg MD, maybe take an easy summer class to boost your grade.

4) be realistic, getting a 4.0 is hard, try your best though!, i suggest you do some ECs after you hit your stride

*just my 2 cents*

Last edited:
1) take higher level bio classes to make make up for your not so stellar bio grades

2) Your bio grades will be averaged in regardless, unless your shooting for DO which accepts retakes of classes, dont even bother retaking them since apparently your posting in pre allo so i assume you're shooting for MD

3) you can do research later, right now focus on your grades, since right now your a little less then borderline for the avg MD, maybe take an easy summer class to boost your grade.

4) be realistic, getting a 4.0 is hard, try your best though!, i suggest you do some post bacc work and some ECs after you hit your stride

*just my 2 cents*

thanks, i know that a lot of ppl say they'll get 4.0's to make up for their bad grades, but it's unrealistic. i feel that i can cause this semester i had an A in everything before the finals, save for Neuro. The finals killed me in genetics, cause i had 8 hours to study for it...

I really want a productive summer, and I've done social psych research and EEG rsch at my school this semester. Do you know if I stand a chance in getting rsch during the summer?

I really do think the C- might not count though. You might want to look into that. I have heard that you HAVE to make a C or better in the pre-req classes for them to count...I'm not an expert though, so don't take that as absolute fact. Otherwise, just try your best for your remaining semesters and see where you are at after that.

thanks, i know that a lot of ppl say they'll get 4.0's to make up for their bad grades, but it's unrealistic. i feel that i can cause this semester i had an A in everything before the finals, save for Neuro. The finals killed me in genetics, cause i had 8 hours to study for it...

I really want a productive summer, and I've done social psych research and EEG rsch at my school this semester. Do you know if I stand a chance in getting rsch during the summer?

if you hit your stride next term, i dont see why not,
but if you mess up again, take the summer classes, cause you have about a ~3.2 gpa right now and the MD cuttoff is 3.5, and your grades are kind of inconsistant the last 3 terms, and med schools like upward trends

Currently a sohpomore
Really panicking now..

Relax.

You will need to change something if you want to earn a 4.0 for the next three semesters. You're clearly doing something right in your chemistry courses so figure out a way to translate that into your biology courses.

As far as the C- goes, it will vary by school whether they will accept that low of a grade in a pre-rec (some schools will only give credit if you earn at least a C). Do some research and consider retaking.

Apply to summer research programs if that's what you want to do.

You do not need to think about post-bacc right now. You have completed 3 of 8 semesters thus far, so if you work hard you will be just fine! No one says you have to apply after your junior year.

It looks like you have about a 3.1 cGPA with about 45 units. If you get an A for the next 45 units, you'd have about a 3.6. Search GPA caluclators and get your real estimated future GPA.

I really do think the C- might not count though. You might want to look into that. I have heard that you HAVE to make a C or better in the pre-req classes for them to count...I'm not an expert though, so don't take that as absolute fact. Otherwise, just try your best for your remaining semesters and see where you are at after that.

look into the c- thing too, idk if it counts

I have a 3.14500 sGPA with 44 Units. I can raise it to a 3.6 with 51 Units of 4.0's, AKA 3 semesters.

Realistically, if I get a 3.7-3.8, it'll take 51 units to raise it to a 3.5

I think I can pull a 3.8+ as long as I can do better during Finals week.

And yeah, I probably have to retake the C-

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. why did you tank your last 2 semesters? if you have a good reason it won't hurt you as bad.

hmm. why did you tank your last 2 semesters? if you have a good reason it won't hurt you as bad.

Fell sick my 2nd semester of fresh year during Finals week

and I had an A in nearly every class this year before Finals week, I only had 8 hours to study for Genetics, so that screwed me over

a couple of C's probably won't kill you especially if you have very strong EC's, but if you're shooting for a top 20 or top 30, you might want to re-take..

No it's not. That's what I did.

Freshman:

Semester 1:

Semester 2:

Semester 3:

Really panicking now..

Well, you're definitely not screwed, but you also really need to make some changes. GPAs can always be changed but the longer you wait to make the change and the deeper you dig yourself into a hole the longer it's going to take to fix. Eventually a low GPA may take so long to fix that it's easier to just choose a different career path. You're not to that point yet, but I would advise you start committing yourself to your studies if you're really committed to a career in medicine.

I would suggest starting with some very honest reflection about what you did well and what went wrong this last semester. You said that you got sick, but why didn't you contact your professors for makeup exams instead of doing poorly on your final exams? Every university that I know of requires professors to provide makeup exams for students who are ill at the time of the regularly scheduled exam. Also, why did you only have 8 hours to study for an exam? It sounds to me like you may be having some time-management issues that you need to deal with. I could comment more if I knew more about your situation but I think you get the general idea. Good luck with getting back on track.:xf:

Freshman:

Semester 1:

Semester 2:

Semester 3:

Really panicking now..

Hey stronghopeful,

We were almost identical in stats. Coming into sophomore year I had near a 3.6 and after sophomore year I was down to around a 3.1 science and a 3.25 cumulative. Fast forward four years, I just received an acceptance from an MD school.

It was a wake up call starting Junior year. I did all I could in the next four semesters and earned around a 3.8-4.0 for each of those semesters. When I graduated, I had a 3.55 cumulative and a 3.31 science gpa. I decided to get my MPH and will be graduating in a few months with a 4.0gpa.

I was so involved on campus and I tried to keep up with school work by not sleeping, but it caught up to me. I got B's or B+ instead of A- or As in classes, and it was a slippery slope. I x-ed out most of my activities (except for one or two that I really cared about) and made sure I focused hard on the task at hand. I told myself that I went to college to become a doctor constantly, and it took many nights of just pushing through.

The take home point is, you can do it, don't let anyone tell you that you can't. It just takes hard work, a strong desire, and to be patient. YOU CAN DO IT. PM Me if you have any additional questions!

Sorry, I meant to make a thread. Delete this please

i had a 3.1 after freshman year. will graduate with 3.65c 3.75s
just study consistently for class and the grades will come.

You can be competitive for low tier or mid tier with a 3.5-6 GPA a strong upward trend and a good amount of EC's.

lol this. Those hundred-thousandths really make the difference with Hahvahd.

Hai my GPA is exactly pi where do I round to?

You don't. If you apply with pi for your GPA, you get automatically accepted at your top choice school on pi day. It's a secret rule, BUT your GPA must be exactly 3.1415926536 (to at least 10 decimal places).

Also, your MCAT must be 11/11/7 (in that order) to qualify for an auto-acceptance.

Considering that your GPA before med school is more important than your GPA during med school preclinical years, you'd think that people would work harder BEFORE they get to med school and care more ;p

No, you're not screwed yet, but you need to go over study methods and habits and how committed you are to this whole doctor thing.