Am I setting myself up for a bummer of a semester/mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the shretiology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got in touch with my genetics professor, and he has allowed me to work in his lab! This is exciting but also makes me nervous that I will not have enough time to devote to my mcat prepping.

I am due to take my mcat in June so that I may apply this cycle and I would obviously need to prep extensively for it. I also have a4.0 science GPA and would like to conserve it; I am taking biochem and microbio (and an art class) the semester leading to my mcat. On top of this, I pay bills; I have been working as a medical scribe for 2.5+ years and need to at least 20 hrs/week.

With all of this and needing to keep a healthy relationship with my girlfriend, would taking on this research opportunity be foolsh?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN Prime Answer: Dump your girlfriend for research

Real Answer: If you haven't committed yet, then consider dropping the research. If you have no intention of going through a research based path like MD/PhD then it won't kill you

You know your schedule and time management skills better than we do. Personally, though, I think you'll be fine if you limit the research work to one or two days a week. Research is usually not imperative for an application (save for a few schools).

If it is going to be overwhelming, can you ask to start research in the summer or fall instead of now?

Always remember the MCAT carries as much weight as your entire undergraduate academic record. No EC or class is worth sub-optimal MCAT prep.

Reactions: 1 users