Am I shooting myself in the foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tehdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't much like studying. I never really have. And things haven't changed much since starting medical school. I often skip class, and I usually wait until 3-4 days before exams before downloading PowerPoint lectures to read/study. But so far, I've done fair to well. My scores usually range around 75-85, sometimes above class average, but most of the time a little below. Some of my classmates are telling me that I'm only hurting myself, but am I really? They are always tired and depressed. I'm enjoying life. I figure since preclinical grades aren't really that important anyway, I only need to pass. I can just study hard for a month, own step 1, and be just fine for the match. I enjoy my free time. Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are studying at the last minute and scoring below average, what do you think will happen if you study for step at the last minute? after all, your score is only a comparison to all the other test takers.

but, Cs and Bs are not bad at all. if you score average to or a little below on the boards, it won't be terrible as ling your aspirations are in line with your efforts. just be realistic about what specialty you want to go into.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are studying at the last minute and scoring below average, what do you think will happen if you study for step at the last minute? after all, your score is only a comparison to all the other test takers.

I figure if I study a far below average amount and score around the class average, then if I study an average amount I should score above average. It is certainly easier to study hardcore for 4-6 weeks than it is to study hours every day for 2 years. I'm all about efficient use of my time.

if you score average to or a little below on the boards, it won't be terrible as ling your aspirations are in line with your efforts. just be realistic about what specialty you want to go into.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm sort of leaning towards anesthesia right now, which I think would be totally doable.

SDN isn't going to make you change your study habits. You are just looking for validation. I doubt you will get much of that from SDN. Just do what you think is best for you. Why listen to others if you are happy with what you are doing?

I figure if I study a far below average amount and score around the class average, then if I study an average amount I should score above average. It is certainly easier to study hardcore for 4-6 weeks than it is to study hours every day for 2 years. I'm all about efficient use of my time.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm sort of leaning towards anesthesia right now, which I think would be totally doable.

Anesthesia is pretty competitive. I would recommend working a bit harder and trying to get above average grades and board scores if you want a good chance to match to a decent program. It's probably doable even with below average stats, but you don't want to match to a community program in the middle of nowhere.

It's a misconception that you have to bust your a.ss for 2 years straight to do well preclinically. Yes you do have to work hard but 1st year you can have a lot of free time and still do well as long as you buckle down when necessary. 2nd year you have less time because of more material and Step 1 but you can still find time to have fun. Med school has been tough but not miserable by any stretch.

The big question is are you someone who can retain and learn the material while procrastinating? If you are just regurgitating you will be in big trouble for Step 1. Step 1 is not about just studying hard for 4-6 weeks, if you don't have a solid foundation you won't do well.

You can have your free time still - since you seem averse to heavy studying I would suggest looking at the lectures early and getting the big picture and also using review books. Doesn't take too much time and you can cram in the details before the test.

Anesthesia isn't super competitive but with your attitude unless you're a genius you'll probably end up with an average Step and average grades which will make it hard to match at a top program. And what if you change your mind and what to do something like derm, plastics, rad onc? Don't sell yourself short

I don't much like studying. I never really have. And things haven't changed much since starting medical school. I often skip class, and I usually wait until 3-4 days before exams before downloading PowerPoint lectures to read/study. But so far, I've done fair to well. My scores usually range around 75-85, sometimes above class average, but most of the time a little below. Some of my classmates are telling me that I'm only hurting myself, but am I really? They are always tired and depressed. I'm enjoying life. I figure since preclinical grades aren't really that important anyway, I only need to pass. I can just study hard for a month, own step 1, and be just fine for the match. I enjoy my free time. Discuss.

If this works for you then great for you and I hope that all your dreams come true. If not, you will be one of those sad folks who are not in control of their fate when it comes to residency applications and specialty choice. You are an adult and know for sure that you will live with the consequences of your decisions. You get one shot at not "screwing the pooch" when it comes to getting what you need from medical school. As others have said, you do what works for you. If this is working for you, then keep doing it.

getting average scores for m1-2 and then studying hard for 1 month on step1 is not going to result in a good step1 score.

1month is not the average study time, most ppl prepare far longer than that

keep doing what you're doing for the rest of 1st year. But if you actually want to "own" step 1, then you're gonna have to bust your ass throughout second year. Working hard for six weeks prior to step 1 might net you a 230, that's if you're lucky.

IMO, regarding Step I, unless you lay a good foundation in the first two years, you won't 'crush it'. Studying for step I is about 80-90% review,and the rest is new, so unless you already know it from MS1 and MS2, you won't be able to review it, you'll be learning it for the first time when other people are breezing through what they already know and on to things that you won't have time to learn. The average Step I for anesthesia is about 225, which is close to the national median. Why not bust your hump, get great grades and step scores, and that way you will have options if you decide that derm or optho or uro or whatever is really what you want. Pre-clinical grades may not matter much, but depending on your school, they can affect selection for AOA which will in turn influence residency options.

NO.

You're a smart guy...I salute you.
(As long as you don't fail an exam...)

You'll probably screw everybody else and impress people in your clinical rotations. Cheers to you!

keep doing what you're doing for the rest of 1st year. But if you actually want to "own" step 1, then you're gonna have to bust your ass throughout second year. Working hard for six weeks prior to step 1 might net you a 230, that's if you're lucky.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "own". I didn't mean score a 270. If I didn't work very hard and got a 240, I would be very satisfied.

I don't even know why I made this thread now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Stay classy.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "own". I didn't mean score a 270. If I didn't work very hard and got a 240, I would be very satisfied.

I don't even know why I made this thread now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Stay classy.

I like your approach to med school, but honestly, you shouldn't expect a 240 after a month of studying. A 240 is much easier said than done...don't get cocky please.

I guess it depends on how well you remember the material long term when you don't study and then cram. If you retain the material so that you can do well on boards and such then it sounds like a reasonable approach. Personally I hate cramming but don't mind studying so I'm kind of the opposite of you.

I have to say I find it a bit odd that you choose to go to medical school when you don't like studying as keeping current (ie studying) is important even when you are an attending.

I like your approach to med school, but honestly, you shouldn't expect a 240 after a month of studying. A 240 is much easier said than done...don't get cocky please.

It all depends on how much he learns/retains during the 1st 2 years. If he can retain stuff while still cramming then 4-6 weeks of hardcore studying could do the trick - he could start at 210-220 and easily increase by 20 or 30 points.

240 isn't easy but it's not impossible either. The amount of work put in is very student dependent