Am I taking too many Chemistry classes?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepcalm2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't take any upper division Chemistry classes during my undergrad. I took only one semester of Gen Chem (got an A) and two semesters of OChem (C and C-).

I'm doing a post bacc now and I already took Biochem 1, 2 and 3 (got all A's) and I'm currently enrolled in Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Major Organ Biochemistry, Gen Chem 2 (never took it) and retaking my C- in Organic Chemistry 2.

I already took classes like Biophysics, Neurobiology and upper level Molecular Cell Biology (got all A's in them) in my post bacc.

My question is, will taking so much chemistry negatively affect my application? I did well in bio courses like anatomy, genetics, human reproduction, medical botany, endocrinology and motor control in my undergrad.

Please help! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take any upper division Chemistry classes during my undergrad. I took only one semester of Gen Chem (got an A) and two semesters of OChem (C and C-).

I'm doing a post bacc now and I already took Biochem 1, 2 and 3 (got all A's) and I'm currently enrolled in Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Major Organ Biochemistry, Gen Chem 2 (never took it) and retaking my C- in Organic Chemistry 2.

I already took classes like Biophysics, Neurobiology and upper level Molecular Cell Biology (got all A's in them) in my post bacc.

My question is, will taking so much chemistry negatively affect my application? I did well in bio courses like anatomy, genetics, human reproduction, medical botany, endocrinology and motor control in my undergrad.

Please help! Thank you :)

No it wouldn't. You're fine as is.

I'm trying to choose between Developmental Genetic Analysis, Neural Development and Major Organ Biochemistry. What would you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to choose between Developmental Genetic Analysis, Neural Development and Major Organ Biochemistry. What would you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Whatever you feel most comfortable with. You seem to be more interested in the biology aspect rather than the chem aspect, so either of the first two courses seem good for you.

haha tbh all three classes are okay for me but I just wanna take the class med schools would most impressed with. I'm in a post bacc so I'd rather not take my chances.

haha tbh all three classes are okay for me but I just wanna take the class med schools would most impressed with. I'm in a post bacc so I'd rather not take my chances.

Med schools won't be impressed with any class simply because they won't care. Do it because you're interested in.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't interested, I just don't want to seem narrow to med schools. I just don't want them to say why did she take so much chemistry?

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't interested, I just don't want to seem narrow to med schools. I just don't want them to say why did she take so much chemistry?

You're fine. Otherwise chem/physics/engineering majors would hardly be accepted.

Developmental Genetic Analysis sounds super interesting. My school doesn't have anything like that.

Developmental Genetic Analysis sounds super interesting. My school doesn't have anything like that.

It is basically an embryology class which isn't as interesting to me as genetics is.