Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a junior looking to apply to DO schools and wondering if I am too deep in the hole to even apply at this point.
Currently at the very least planning on applying later with gap year but my current sGPA is 2.33 after 54 credit hours.
Male Asian located in Texas.
Is there any chance for me at all and is there any other information I should have provided?
Thank you
So, just for some perspective--if I assume that you're going to continue taking the same number of science credits over your final 3 semesters as you have over your first five, even if you pull at 4.0 in science classes from now through graduation that still only brings you up to a 2.96. Take a gap year and continue the 4.0 trend, that gets you to 3.17. And keep in mind, this is the absolute BEST case scenario where you have a sudden epiphany today and start kicking butt this semester. You're actually in the uncomfortable position where anything other than an "A" is a real problem as eventually your GPA is going to have too many credit hours to appreciably improve.

Suffice to say, you do indeed need to have at least one gap year. Not sure what you're doing right now in terms of ECs, but you need to have a real honest look in the mirror and decided if this is what you really want to do with your life. It ain't for everyone, and that's fine if you don't want to do it, but if you're spending any time right now on "pre med ECs" I would strongly encourage you to completely quit that and focus on your studies this semester. You always have time in the future to bump up your volunteer hours, but ECs will not matter at all if your GPA doesn't do a 180 starting today.

Members don't see this ad.

It would likely take more than a year of post-bac work (that you would have to ace) to repair your GPA even if you ace out.

On top of this, you would need a strong showing on your MCAT and with your current grades I don’t see that happening at this point.

Please take a good long look at what you want in life. This will be a long, tough road ahead of you if you do decide to go forward with trying to get into medical school.

Thank you for the perspective. I did take a long look and identified several points to why I was doing so poorly. May I ask as to how much post bacc I should do before even applying? Also does the school for post bacc matter?
Thank you for your time.
At least one year following completion of undergrad. Preferably at at 4 year school.

Status
Not open for further replies.