Am I too old to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SantiniHoudini

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 24, I will be 25 this coming September. Medicine and ballet have always been my top things. I'm alone in the world now after helping my mother battle lupus, but she died last year. I endured a very abusive household that didn't allow for me to study the way I wish I would've been able to, in hindsight, but my dream of becoming a doctor has never left me. I feel terrible because I graduated HS when I was 15 years old, and I could've been finished with medical school by now. I am married with a two-year-old daughter. Am I too old to still pursue my dreams? I know this question has probably been asked numerous times.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 24, I will be 25 this coming September. Medicine and ballet have always been my top things. I'm alone in the world now after helping my mother battle lupus, but she died last year. I endured a very abusive household that didn't allow for me to study the way I wish I would've been able to, in hindsight, but my dream of becoming a doctor has never left me. I feel terrible because I graduated HS when I was 15 years old, and I could've been finished with medical school by now. I am married with a two-year-old daughter. Am I too old to still pursue my dreams? I know this question has probably been asked numerous times.
Not too old, do you have an undergrad gpa?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry to read about your hardships. I'm about your age and I have about two years left to finish my undergrad as a transfer student, I as well have been through a lot of crucibles. I know it's a little disheartening seeing the time that's already past, but it's not too late to fulfill your dream. And the average age of medical school applicants is increasing. Think about it like this: now you have a story that stands out on the essay portion of the application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Heck no you aren't. The average age for some medical schools is in the mid-20s so you'd be right around some schools' average--and I know many people in their 30s who are just starting their journey to medical school. As long as you can take the required pre-reqs, get a decent MCAT score, get good LORs and have solid ECs you have as good a chance as anyone else. Good luck on your journey!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm applying this year, and if I get accepted I'll be 28 when I start med school! You're definitely not too old!

I'm 35, turning 36 this month. Applying this cycle. You can do it!

Reactions: 3 users
25? Just a baby. So no, you're not too old.

Not even a little. I'm 26 now and have to wait until I'm at least 31 to apply. There have been med students in their 50s.

You are only too old to become young... that the only time you are too old to do anything! Good luck on this journey of medicine!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be 33 with 2 kids when I start med school next month. I know several relatively happy physicians who started school at around the same age as me. You are not too old by any means.

To echo everyone else, no you're not too old. If you don't have a bachelor's degree, that will be your first step. If you do but didn't take any science courses, then you should do a career-changer post-bacc.