General Admissions & OTCAS Am I too young for OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uw_dawg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some words of advice.

First of all, I am going to be graduating with a BA in Psychology this June.
I am currently 19 years old. I skipped a grade in elementary school and graduated from high school a year early. And I am graduating from college in three years.

I recently got accepted to grad school, specifically 2-year MOT program that is out of state. I only applied to graduate schools that did not require the GRE, because I honestly did not think I would get into any program on my first try, so I just applied to schools to see if I get in or not.

Now that I actually got accepted, I am feeling very anxious to start graduate school at such a young age, especially when the average age to enter OT programs usually ranges from 24-25 years old. I feel like I do not have enough experiences to share or feel connected to other students. I think I definitely have the fear of not fitting in. Moreover, the graduate school I got accepted to is in a rural area where there is nothing around the campus, and I have always lived in big cities so I am not completely sure whether I can successfully adjust to these big changes or not. Moreover, I do not have a driver's license so I would have to rely on my roommate for driving, which does not give me any freedom at all.

So I was thinking about taking a gap year and applying to Occupational Therapy schools in my home state. Especially the university I am currently attending for undergrad right now has a very prestigious MOT program that is ranked in the top 15, but this program is very competitive to get in, and I do not think that my chances are high. As of right now, I have a 3.8 overall GPA and 3.7 GPA in prerequisites. I have been volunteering in multiple settings, from hand clinics to the trauma, and children's hospitals for about a year. I have about +200 hours of volunteering and +100 shadowing hours overall. I do understand that going through the whole application process all over again is a hassle because that means I would have to study for the GRE and ask for the letters of recommendation again.

Do you think it's worth taking a gap year or should I just head straight to graduate school?
I would like to hear your guys' perspectives, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

I am currently 19 years old. I skipped a grade in elementary school and graduated from high school a year early. And I am graduating from college in three years.

I recently got accepted to grad school, specifically 2-year MOT program that is out of state. I only applied to graduate schools that did not require the GRE, because I honestly did not think I would get into any program on my first try, so I just applied to schools to see if I get in or not.

Now that I actually got accepted, I am feeling very anxious to start graduate school at such a young age, especially when the average age to enter OT programs usually ranges from 24-25 years old. I feel like I do not have enough experiences to share or feel connected to other students. I think I definitely have the fear of not fitting in. Moreover, the graduate school I got accepted to is in a rural area where there is nothing around the campus, and I have always lived in big cities so I am not completely sure whether I can successfully adjust to these big changes or not. Moreover, I do not have a driver's license so I would have to rely on my roommate for driving, which does not give me any freedom at all.

So I was thinking about taking a gap year and applying to Occupational Therapy schools in my home state. Especially the university I am currently attending for undergrad right now has a very prestigious MOT program that is ranked in the top 15, but this program is very competitive to get in, and I do not think that my chances are high. As of right now, I have a 3.8 overall GPA and 3.7 GPA in prerequisites. I have been volunteering in multiple settings, from hand clinics to the trauma, and children's hospitals for about a year. I have about +200 hours of volunteering and +100 shadowing hours overall. I do understand that going through the whole application process all over again is a hassle because that means I would have to study for the GRE and ask for the letters of recommendation again.

Do you think it's worth taking a gap year or should I just head straight to graduate school?
I feel the total opposite — am I too old for OT school? Lol

I think you have shown you are academically ready. And most of the people in these programs have just graduated so they are still the peers that you are used to in your undergrad.

If you want to take some time to mature or just enjoy life, I doubt it will hurt your future chances. Only you know what you can handle right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, thanks for replying back,

You are never too old for OT school! I strongly believe that your life/ work experiences will be a huge advantage in how you approach graduate work. I also think that I am academically prepared, however, I am not sure I am developmentally ready. Ever since I have been accepted to graduate school, I've been having trouble falling asleep and focusing in school due to anxiety. Maybe this is a sign for me to slow down. Thank you for sharing your perspective. I truly appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you're too young, but I do have to say what is the rush? Taking a year off or two isn't bad. I know someone who is in the same boat as you and is now working full-time but kind of regrets rushing through college (because she could) and didn't stop to enjoy her younger college years. Think about it: you'll have the REST of your life to work a full-time job. But in your lower 20s you can do many things that you can't do when you're tied to a full-time job, husband/wife, kids, higher bills, etc.

Nonetheless, congratulations for getting accepted! And with your scores, you could definitely get into many schools in the future, especially if you take some time to get some experience.

I would hold off if you are feeling this way about it. & Also if you can save money by attending an in-state school, it may be beneficial for you to wait until next year. From my experience, it is a lot easier to get accepted into an out-of-state or private school. With that being said, you could just apply for both (in-state and out-of-state) next year and use the out-of-state school as your back-up. Best of luck to you!!!

I don't think you're too young, but I do have to say what is the rush? Taking a year off or two isn't bad. I know someone who is in the same boat as you and is now working full-time but kind of regrets rushing through college (because she could) and didn't stop to enjoy her younger college years. Think about it: you'll have the REST of your life to work a full-time job. But in your lower 20s you can do many things that you can't do when you're tied to a full-time job, husband/wife, kids, higher bills, etc.

Nonetheless, congratulations for getting accepted! And with your scores, you could definitely get into many schools in the future, especially if you take some time to get some experience.

Hi, I do agree with you that there are certain things that can only be done earlier in life. I thought about teaching abroad, traveling, and maybe staying in school for one more year to double major in something else. I just feel stuck in between taking a gap year and exploring more or starting graduate school to settle down with a stable job as early as I can. My parents are both elementary school teachers, and I want to be financially independent as soon as possible so that I won't have to rely on my parents for financial support.

I really appreciate your thoughtful advice, and thanks for sharing your perspective!

I would hold off if you are feeling this way about it. & Also if you can save money by attending an in-state school, it may be beneficial for you to wait until next year. From my experience, it is a lot easier to get accepted into an out-of-state or private school. With that being said, you could just apply for both (in-state and out-of-state) next year and use the out-of-state school as your back-up. Best of luck to you!!!

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You’re completely right. I also think that it might be better to wait another year if I can save money, however, there is no guarantee that I’ll get accepted into an in-state school next year. Plus, if I go to grad school right away, I would be able to start working a year early which means I will be able to pay off the loan quickly. I really appreciate your perspective and experience, and thank you so much for your advice! Good luck to you as well!

I feel the exact same way! I graduated last May and took some extra prerequisites last fall. I was going to take my time to apply to grad schools, but I was applying while taking 3 classes. So I feel like I rushed the application process, when I should have taken my time instead. I was accepted into 3 out of state OT programs, but realistically, I know I can’t afford it. I don’t want to drown in loans. ): Although I’m dead set on reapplying to OT schools next year, a part of me also wants to start grad school right away so that I can be financially independent in 2-3 years.

I feel the exact same way! I graduated last May and took some extra prerequisites last fall. I was going to take my time to apply to grad schools, but I was applying while taking 3 classes. So I feel like I rushed the application process, when I should have taken my time instead. I was accepted into 3 out of state OT programs, but realistically, I know I can’t afford it. I don’t want to drown in loans. ): Although I’m dead set on reapplying to OT schools next year, a part of me also wants to start grad school right away so that I can be financially independent in 2-3 years.

I guess we are exactly in the same situation! I also think that I rushed the application process and did not have that many options to choose from. I also I did not consider other factors like the program cost, location, resources, climate, program ranking (the quality of the program), diversity, and financial aid when I was applying because my main goal was to start OT school as soon as possible to be financially independent. Now I am realizing that I should have done more research and waited another year because these factors do matter. Did you submit a withdrawal form already or are you still considering it? After all, we both have an important decision to make because this will affect our lives for at least 2-3 years and we would need to reevaluate what is more important, getting done with school as early as possible or finding the program that is the best fit for us.

I guess we are exactly in the same situation! I also think that I rushed the application process and did not have that many options to choose from. I also I did not consider other factors like the program cost, location, resources, climate, program ranking (the quality of the program), diversity, and financial aid when I was applying because my main goal was to start OT school as soon as possible to be financially independent. Now I am realizing that I should have done more research and waited another year because these factors do matter. Did you submit a withdrawal form already or are you still considering it? After all, we both have an important decision to make because this will affect our lives for at least 2-3 years and we would need to reevaluate what is more important, getting done with school as early as possible or finding the program that is the best fit for us.

I withdrew my application from one school, I panicked and put a deposit down for another school, and am debating if I should consider this other program.

I’ve asked OTs and PTs I work with what they would do if they were in my situation. Most of them said I should go now instead of waiting. It’s so much easier said than done though. But my family and friends think I should wait. They think I should wait another year (especially since I started working in the rehabilitation field right before finishing my undergrad studies, so it’s only been ~1 yr.). I think I’m just going to focus on the in-state programs (Mostly aiming for Kean because it’s 10 minutes away from me) in NJ. And maybe 1-2 out of state programs. But I agree with you! I feel like I limited myself too because I chose not to take the GRE. I also spent a lot of money on apps because I wanted to see if I was even considered a competitive applicant.

I think I saw you in the baypath thread, btw. I’m so tempted to put a deposit down, but I think I’d go crazy if I only have 2 months to move out of state and figure everything out financially (aid/cost of living/groceries/etc.). I was just accepted off the waitlist on a Thursday and Maggie hasn’t gotten back to me about my prerequisites. I have until Monday to decide...So I think I will most likely reapply to OT programs. I’ll just take the time to gain more experience, create stronger connections for LORs, and save up before going to school full-time again. Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make!!

I withdrew my application from one school, I panicked and put a deposit down for another school, and am debating if I should consider this other program.

I’ve asked OTs and PTs I work with what they would do if they were in my situation. Most of them said I should go now instead of waiting. It’s so much easier said than done though. But my family and friends think I should wait. They think I should wait another year (especially since I started working in the rehabilitation field right before finishing my undergrad studies, so it’s only been ~1 yr.). I think I’m just going to focus on the in-state programs (Mostly aiming for Kean because it’s 10 minutes away from me) in NJ. And maybe 1-2 out of state programs. But I agree with you! I feel like I limited myself too because I chose not to take the GRE. I also spent a lot of money on apps because I wanted to see if I was even considered a competitive applicant.

I think I saw you in the baypath thread, btw. I’m so tempted to put a deposit down, but I think I’d go crazy if I only have 2 months to move out of state and figure everything out financially (aid/cost of living/groceries/etc.). I was just accepted off the waitlist on a Thursday and Maggie hasn’t gotten back to me about my prerequisites. I have until Monday to decide...So I think I will most likely reapply to OT programs. I’ll just take the time to gain more experience, create stronger connections for LORs, and save up before going to school full-time again. Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make!!

I have also asked people around me, including OTs, professors, and graduate students. And one of them said that only you can know whether you are ready or not. For me, I don't think I'm mentally prepared for grad school. I have been living away from my parents ever since I was ten, and because of this, I think I become overly anxious when it comes to making big decisions like this. My family definitely wants me to go because they think it's better to get it done early.

It's nice that we both got accepted to the same school! I do think they have a decent program and it's only for two years. I wish you luck in everything you do, too! I believe that it will all be worth it in the end as long as we are willing to work hard.

I have also asked people around me, including OTs, professors, and graduate students. And one of them said that only you can know whether you are ready or not. For me, I don't think I'm mentally prepared for grad school. I have been living away from my parents ever since I was ten, and because of this, I think I become overly anxious when it comes to making big decisions like this. My family definitely wants me to go because they think it's better to get it done early.

It's nice that we both got accepted to the same school! I do think they have a decent program and it's only for two years. I wish you luck in everything you do, too! I believe that it will all be worth it in the end as long as we are willing to work hard.

I was accepted into Bay Path in the first acceptances and withdrew my spot. Now that I’m with a different program, it is night and day on my anxieties with succeeding. Bay Path really doesn’t give a whole lot of information to those who are accepted, and that troubled me. With my new program, I have incredulous amounts of transparency in regards to communication. I think if BP were the same, not so many of us would be hesitant. However they didn’t even give a firm start date. It felt like a true risk, and I couldn’t imagine drowning due to lack of organization or communication. That being said—- think about it and determine if that is one of your concerns too. If so— apply to other schools.

I was accepted into Bay Path in the first acceptances and withdrew my spot. Now that I’m with a different program, it is night and day on my anxieties with succeeding. Bay Path really doesn’t give a whole lot of information to those who are accepted, and that troubled me. With my new program, I have incredulous amounts of transparency in regards to communication. I think if BP were the same, not so many of us would be hesitant. However they didn’t even give a firm start date. It felt like a true risk, and I couldn’t imagine drowning due to lack of organization or communication. That being said—- think about it and determine if that is one of your concerns too. If so— apply to other schools.

Hi, I do agree with you that this program seems to have a lack of structure, however, I received an email from Maggie that she will be sending out more emails about information regarding registration next week. So I am just going to wait and see if she provides us with enough information or not. I also did some research about the program on my own and reached out to former graduate students and those who are currently finishing up their first year of OT school at Bay Path and asked about their opinions of the program, they were generally satisfied with the program and shared both positive/negative sides. One of my biggest concerns is the school not preparing us for the NBCOT exam because I would not want to spend more than $80k and find myself underprepared for the exam.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you on that- I looked at their website trying to find information

Hi, I do agree with you that this program seems to have a lack of structure, however, I received an email from Maggie that she will be sending out more emails about information regarding registration next week. So I am just going to wait and see if she provides us with enough information or not. I also did some research about the program on my own and reached out to former graduate students and those who are currently finishing up their first year of OT school at Bay Path and asked about their opinions of the program, they were generally satisfied with the program and shared both positive/negative sides. One of my biggest concerns is the school not preparing us for the NBCOT exam because I would not want to spend more than $80k and find myself underprepared for the exam.
Exactly. I will tell you I spoke to a recent grad from there who did pass their exam. But I also spoke to some who did not. I’ve heard they re-structured and that the biggest issue was they weren’t ready for fieldwork. So hopefully, they are working on it.

Exactly. I will tell you I spoke to a recent grad from there who did pass their exam. But I also spoke to some who did not. I’ve heard they re-structured and that the biggest issue was they weren’t ready for fieldwork. So hopefully, they are working on it.

Could you also share with me what they shared with you? I would greatly appreciate it if you could forward those messages to me. I really want to have a better idea of how well this program prepares students for the exam. Also, not just for the exam, I want to make sure that this program covers various aspects of Occupational Therapy that will help me become a competitive and skilled professional.

Could you also share with me what they shared with you? I would greatly appreciate it if you could forward those messages to me. I really want to have a better idea of how well this program prepares students for the exam. Also, not just for the exam, I want to make sure that this program covers various aspects of Occupational Therapy that will help me become a competitive and skilled professional.
Sure. Also look at the new posts... not good.

My opinion is to go and get it over with while you are still in the swing of things! For me personally, I would find it very hard to take a year or so off and then start back up again. I just graduated from college in 3 years (I'm 20) and am starting an MOT program in a couple weeks, pretty much right after I finish my undergrad. I personally don't feel like I'm sick of school or that I'm not able to keep putting my best efforts forward, so I would like to go ahead and get it out of the way. Then, when I'm 22, I'll be completely done with school forever and have a job in a great field! Than I can work part time, full time, etc. I didn't really grow up very financially stable so I am eagerly seeking to be in a place in my life where I am not constantly worrying about money. I also was fortunate to get into an in-state school and the program's tuition is only $25k.

Last edited:
I would not wait to start. Things only get more expensive as you get older.

While I think its amazing that you are so ambitious and were accepted, I do not think it would hurt to take a year to grow as a professional and get some experience in healthcare. I have a few friends who went straight into OT and PT school after undergrad and are just ready for it all to be overwith, they dont even talk about the field with passion anymore because they are so sick of school. For this reason I am thankful I took two years off. I will be applying this year and am 23, and will hopefully start at 24. I took a few months off of school and then began the prereqs I need and feel more motivated and prepared now that I have experience working. I have learned to balance work, school, and social which is very helpful. I also feel that I have matured being that I have more responsibility now than in college. I feel that this professional experience will help me in school. But everyone is different! Do what you feel is right and is your pace! You will get into school again! Best of luck :)

My opinion is to go and get it over with while you are still in the swing of things! For me personally, I would find it very hard to take a year or so off and then start back up again. I just graduated from college in 3 years (I'm 20) and am starting an MOT program in a couple weeks, pretty much right after I finish my undergrad. I personally don't feel like I'm sick of school or that I'm not able to keep putting my best efforts forward, so I would like to go ahead and get it out of the way. Then, when I'm 22, I'll be completely done with school forever and have a job in a great field! Than I can work part time, full time, etc. I didn't really grow up very financially stable so I am eagerly seeking to be in a place in my life where I am not constantly worrying about money. I also was fortunate to get into an in-state school and the program's tuition is only $25k.

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! It's great to hear that you got accepted into an in-state school. For me, I couldn't apply to any in-state schools because I couldn't finish some of the prerequisites by the application deadline. The program I got accepted into is a private institution, and the tuition is around $80k which makes me reconsider... Personally, I feel the same way you do, I do think that I can push forward, but fears hold me back. I also think that OT is a great profession and I wish you the best of luck in school.

I would not wait to start. Things only get more expensive as you get older.
You're totally right. But if I take a gap year and get accepted to any in-state schools, then I can save about $30-40k, which would be more affordable...

While I think its amazing that you are so ambitious and were accepted, I do not think it would hurt to take a year to grow as a professional and get some experience in healthcare. I have a few friends who went straight into OT and PT school after undergrad and are just ready for it all to be overwith, they dont even talk about the field with passion anymore because they are so sick of school. For this reason I am thankful I took two years off. I will be applying this year and am 23, and will hopefully start at 24. I took a few months off of school and then began the prereqs I need and feel more motivated and prepared now that I have experience working. I have learned to balance work, school, and social which is very helpful. I also feel that I have matured being that I have more responsibility now than in college. I feel that this professional experience will help me in school. But everyone is different! Do what you feel is right and is your pace! You will get into school again! Best of luck :)

Hi, I also think that taking a gap year would be a good option so I can gain additional healthcare experiences and grow both personally and professionally. I do agree that it is important to take some time off to navigate and explore my surroundings and figure out which path to follow. I am quite positive that I want to have a career in the Occupational Therapy field, however, I think it would be great if I could have more time to slow down and consider other options as well. Thank you so much for sharing your perspectives, and the same to you!