Am I URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncologist911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am just curious if I am URM? I am of low socioecomic status, VERY Low. I am middle eastern, but I put white on all documentation because sometimes it just says Other and I don't know if they include middle eastern in other or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am just curious if I am URM? I am of low socioecomic status, VERY Low. I am middle eastern, but I put white on all documentation because sometimes it just says Other and I don't know if they include middle eastern in other or not.

According to the US Census people of Middle-Eastern and North African descent are considered White. Whether you put White or Other for AMCAS you will not be considered URM. URM means underrepresented in medicine - people of Middle-Eastern descent are actually over-represented in medicine.

However, you will be considered socioeconomically disadvantaged which should get you access to FAP and most of your secondary fees waived for applications. Also, it is a consideration most schools take into account.

Reactions: 1 user