Am I URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oncologist911

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am just curious if I am URM? I am of low socioecomic status, VERY Low. I am middle eastern, but I put white on all documentation because sometimes it just says Other and I don't know if they include middle eastern in other or not.
 
Hi, I am just curious if I am URM? I am of low socioecomic status, VERY Low. I am middle eastern, but I put white on all documentation because sometimes it just says Other and I don't know if they include middle eastern in other or not.

According to the US Census people of Middle-Eastern and North African descent are considered White. Whether you put White or Other for AMCAS you will not be considered URM. URM means underrepresented in medicine - people of Middle-Eastern descent are actually over-represented in medicine.

However, you will be considered socioeconomically disadvantaged which should get you access to FAP and most of your secondary fees waived for applications. Also, it is a consideration most schools take into account.