AMA DS1 Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentstudent2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DS1 here at Ut San Antonio. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have as I was very recently in your shoes.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you explain the interview process in UT San Antonio and any advice for the interview? Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How do you have time for an AMA when we have 3 projects and finals? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain the interview process in UT San Antonio and any advice for the interview? Thank you!
I think my interview will look very different from your own (covid). The school posts some questions on their website and those are pretty much identical to the questions that you will see. My faculty interview was conversational and was focused on me telling him about my life. While the student interview was focused on asking a question and me answering each. It really is dependent on who you interview with they each have their own style per say. Be yourself and practice those questions on their website and you will do great.

DS1 here at Ut San Antonio. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have as I was very recently in your shoes.

Best of luck.
Are you aware if there is a noticeable language barrier between students and patients in clinic? I've heard this (from older dentists though) and want to know if there's any credibility to the claim.

Is it true that a lot of the faculty is ex-military? How does this influence student/professor relationships, difficulty of the courses, class culture, etc.?

What are the top best and worst things about UTHSCSA?

Assuming you had your choice of Texas schools, why did you chose SA over the others?

Knowing what you know now, would you encourage students to chose UTHSCSA over other Texas schools?

Thank you for your time! :)

how has COVID impacted your school?

how often are you guys there?

I'm also interested in your response to the other guys military question.

Do you know anything about how clinic has been for the current d3s and d4s?

Are you guys getting a tuition increase, if so by how much?

Thanks in advance

Finishing up finals week will give a detailed response this week! Sorry for the delay. Great questions though.

Reactions: 2 users
did you get whanged today?

Was lucky enough to get SA acceptance and now comes the fun part, choosing a school.
- As a husband and a father of a toddler, I wonder how safe is the immediate area surrounding the school to rent in?
- I read that SA is has a more competative atmosphere than normal. Do you notice a toxic environment stemming from that or is it mostly harmless? Also, is this claim even true?
thank you for offering this thread!

Sorry for the late reply just finished finals. The interviews were super fun! They have you come for a presentation then lunch with current students. After lunch you will have an interview with faculty then with a student. This however was before COVID so I am not sure how this has changed since. They show you the school (both campuses) and are very informative. Overall, if you prepare for the questions on their website you will be fine. Faculty and students can somewhat freestyle and have a conversation with you instead of a formal interview it all depends on who you get that day. Good luck!

Are you aware if there is a noticeable language barrier between students and patients in clinic? I've heard this (from older dentists though) and want to know if there's any credibility to the claim.

Is it true that a lot of the faculty is ex-military? How does this influence student/professor relationships, difficulty of the courses, class culture, etc.?

What are the top best and worst things about UTHSCSA?

Assuming you had your choice of Texas schools, why did you chose SA over the others?

Knowing what you know now, would you encourage students to chose UTHSCSA over other Texas schools?

Thank you for your time! :)

1. I have only been on rotations and shadowed so I feel like I cannot attest to this yet. However, no i do not feel that this is an issue I hear from upperclassman.

2. San Antonio is a military city, so yes a lot of faculty are ex-military. I do not feel that it changes the culture much other than that they are very experienced in life and their professional careers. Our faculty are amazing and want to help us be successful. They are very accessible and willing to help.

3. I love the school overall so far. Dental school is hard, very hard there is no getting around that but, the faculty do try to make it as doable as possible for us. I maybe don’t like that COVID is happening but that isn’t anyone’s fault. I would say the school has also been really good about having us come in person for A LOT (more than many schools are able to) and they have done this safely.

4. I felt the most at home at SA and I felt that they would provide the best education for what I was personally looking for. The faculty really impressed me. Regardless, any Texas school is great.

Was lucky enough to get SA acceptance and now comes the fun part, choosing a school.
- As a husband and a father of a toddler, I wonder how safe is the immediate area surrounding the school to rent in?
- I read that SA is has a more competative atmosphere than normal. Do you notice a toxic environment stemming from that or is it mostly harmless? Also, is this claim even true?
thank you for offering this thread!

We have a lot of parents in our class and the classes above us. I live near the medical center and I have not had a bad experience yet. I do think it is one of the nicer areas compared to Dallas and Houston’s dental school location. Many commute as well from very close neighborhoods. Congratulations by the way!

Lastly, ehhh I think every dental school will be competitive in their own way. It depends on who you come into the class with that specific year. Overall, I have made great relationships and have had a great experience I am sure you will too.

We have a lot of parents in our class and the classes above us. I live near the medical center and I have not had a bad experience yet. I do think it is one of the nicer areas compared to Dallas and Houston’s dental school location. Many commute as well from very close neighborhoods. Congratulations by the way!

Lastly, ehhh I think every dental school will be competitive in their own way. It depends on who you come into the class with that specific year. Overall, I have made great relationships and have had a great experience I am sure you will too.
I appreciate your response. I know Houston is not the safest area but they do have housing which I assume itself is somewhat safe although it is hard to get into. I currently live in north Dallas and tbh I don't know what's going on in downtown, it's a downtown so how safe can it be really.
Best of luck on your studies!