AMA w/ princeafrica: First Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princeafrica

Endo Resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Finishing up my first year this week and wanted to do a ask my anything for first year in case anyone had any questions about my experience so far!

Just a little about myself:
- I applied during the 2018-19 cycle.
- Applied to about 12 schools
- Received 11 interviews and attend 5 and got accepted to 5 w/ scholarships
- Ended up choosing to attend University of Colorado
- 23/yo/traditional student. No gap year
- GPA o and science: 3.6
- DAT: 22AA/22TS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Were they need or merit-based scholarships? Did you negotiate for higher scholarships?

The scholarships were given before I submitted my FAFSA so they were merit-based.
I did have multiple scholarship offers so I negotiated for higher scholarship and picked the one that made most financial sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
The scholarships were given before I submitted my FAFSA so they were merit-based.
I did have multiple scholarship offers so I negotiated for higher scholarship and picked the one that made most financial sense.
Nice. Any tips on negotiating scholarships? Did you call or email them during negotiating?

Reactions: 1 user
So I’m gonna ask the obvious question

11/12 interviews?!?! Do you just attribute this to a bit of random luck, or do you have something unique that makes you stand out? Since you interviewed at 5 and were accepted at 5 I would imagine you have some sort of personality trait/accomplishment that really stands out...

Pardon me but your stats scream average.. What factor do you think contributed to the 100% acceptance everywhere you interviewed at?? Hoping to get a few interviews this cycle and would love to get a few pointers from your perspective.

Last edited:
Congrats you're at my dream state. I'm beginning elsewhere this fall, are there any items you think are must haves for dental school?

Sorry for any grammatical error. I am replying on a phone

Nice. Any tips on negotiating scholarships? Did you call or email them during negotiating?

I initially emailed and the majority was over email but they occasionally called me.
In general try not to sound demanding. Just let them know you have scholarship offers at other schools and are wondering if there is any opportunities for your scholarship offer to be increased because they are a top choice but finances are holding you back. Also let them know why you liked their program so they know you are serious.

So I’m gonna ask the obvious question

11/12 interviews?!?! Do you just attribute this to a bit of random luck, or do you have something unique that makes you stand out? Since you interviewed at 5 and were accepted at 5 I would imagine you have some sort of personality trait/accomplishment that really stands out...

I think there was some luck because I was surprised with some interview offers. But I knew my stats were good enough to get my application looked that so I spent a lot of time on my personal statement, supplemental application, and also a lot of time with my experiences section. I made sure my personal statement and experiences connected and had a theme. Rather than having a bunch of random stuff on my application to pile it. Quality > Quantity.

Pardon me but your stats scream average.. What factor do you think contributed to the 100% acceptance everywhere you interviewed at?? Hoping to get a few interviews this cycle and would love to get a few pointers from your perspective.

haha that's a first..I mean they do look average if you are looking at SDN. Oddly enough at my interviews people liked mentioning their stats lol so there were some people with higher and some people with lower stats than me at my interviews. Once you get an interview you have done half the work. The other half is nailing your interview. Initially spent a lot of time practicing before my first interview but after my first interview I realized that I was giving answers that I thought they wanted so it wasn't as enjoyable. For the rest of my interviews, I only brushed up on the top 5 basic questions but otherwise the goal for me for each interview was to just relax and be myself. I know a lot of people just say "be yourself" and it starts to sound old but I saw a huge difference between my first and second interview when I just relaxed. A lot of other students would ask me after the interview "how did you answer this question" "what's your strategy with this question" which showed me a majority of students just try and give an answer that they think is right when most questions there is no wrong or right answer. If you get an interview at Michigan that one you absolutely have to be relaxed as it is an MMI. There are 10 interviews and I pretty much failed the first interviewer but I had to relax because you have 9 other people you can score points on. Some students got very nervous after they messed up one and messed up the rest.

Also a lot of times I tried to stir my interviews the way I want. I use whatever first questions they ask me (Usually "tell me about yourself?" or "Tell me more about x in your app") to direct the interview how I want. I usually answer the question but add in some stuff and steer them in the path i want. Like answer a question and leave in a cliff hanger and 90% of the time they will want to know more about it. Because honestly if you let the interview ask you questions 1-10, that is super boring and they will write generic stuff about you. They get enough students that just answer each question they ask like robots and move on to the next. If people aren't being personable, the interviewer will write generic notes and those can only get you on the waitlist at most

Which schools offered scholarships?

Colorado, UCSF, Michigan,

Reactions: 1 users
haha that's a first..I mean they do look average if you are looking at SDN. Oddly enough at my interviews people liked mentioning their stats lol so there were some people with higher and some people with lower stats than me at my interviews. Once you get an interview you have done half the work. The other half is nailing your interview. Initially spent a lot of time practicing before my first interview but after my first interview I realized that I was giving answers that I thought they wanted so it wasn't as enjoyable. For the rest of my interviews, I only brushed up on the top 5 basic questions but otherwise the goal for me for each interview was to just relax and be myself. I know a lot of people just say "be yourself" and it starts to sound old but I saw a huge difference between my first and second interview when I just relaxed. A lot of other students would ask me after the interview "how did you answer this question" "what's your strategy with this question" which showed me a majority of students just try and give an answer that they think is right when most questions there is no wrong or right answer. If you get an interview at Michigan that one you absolutely have to be relaxed as it is an MMI. There are 10 interviews and I pretty much failed the first interviewer but I had to relax because you have 9 other people you can score points on. Some students got very nervous after they messed up one and messed up the rest.

Also a lot of times I tried to stir my interviews the way I want. I use whatever first questions they ask me (Usually "tell me about yourself?" or "Tell me more about x in your app") to direct the interview how I want. I usually answer the question but add in some stuff and steer them in the path i want. Like answer a question and leave in a cliff hanger and 90% of the time they will want to know more about it. Because honestly if you let the interview ask you questions 1-10, that is super boring and they will write generic stuff about you. They get enough students that just answer each question they ask like robots and move on to the next. If people aren't being personable, the interviewer will write generic notes and those can only get you on the waitlist at most
Lol, they're absolutely not average for initial dental applicants, I meant they are average for accepted applicants. Thanks for sharing your interview taking "secrets". Everywhere I read you basically need to be a parrot when answering questions and never deviate from script. It is refreshing that just being yourself without sweating it too much is a valid strategy.

Are you URM? If so, do you think that played a role in the 11/12 interviews and the scholarships?

What specialty are you looking toward, if any? ;)

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
How much are you getting in HPL loans per year?

Yes and that may of played a role at getting interviews at places like Midwestern AZ.

I'm not sure yet. I've managed to keep my ranking high to keep all options open but I don't know yet what I am interested in

Any tips when it comes to being successful/maintaining a high ranking in the first year of school?

How much are you getting in HPL loans per year?

Last year I was offered $25,000. I took all of it out because it would be enough to cover my leftover expenses for this past school year and D2 year. And I probably won't qualify anymore so I thought it'd take it all out rather than just the amount i needed last year.

Any tips when it comes to being successful/maintaining a high ranking in the first year of school?

Surround yourself with people that want to surpass the expectations and not just do the bare minimum. It helps motivating each other.
Have a routine that you stick to so you do not go insane. That routine will also include a lot of studying time and many times giving up going out on weekends!

Surround yourself with people that want to surpass the expectations and not just do the bare minimum. It helps motivating each other.
Have a routine that you stick to so you do not go insane. That routine will also include a lot of studying time and many times giving up going out on weekends!
Would you mind posting a rough outline of your routine? Also any advice for dental school in the age of covid?

Would you mind posting a rough outline of your routine? Also any advice for dental school in the age of covid?

Mon - Friday
4:30 am - 6:00 am: gym
6 am - 7:15 am : get ready for school
7:15 - 8 am: travel to school. Class at 8. Review any material if I get to school early. Travel time usually 20-30min
8 am - 5 pm: class and studying throughout the day
5pm - 6 pm: travel home and dinner
6 pm - 9:30pm: study
9:45pm : sleep

Sat-Sun
4:30 - 6am: gym
7am - 12pm: study
and chill the rest of the day

Mon - Friday
4:30 am - 6:00 am: gym
6 am - 7:15 am : get ready for school
7:15 - 8 am: travel to school. Class at 8. Review any material if I get to school early. Travel time usually 20-30min
8 am - 5 pm: class and studying throughout the day
5pm - 6 pm: travel home and dinner
6 pm - 9:30pm: study
9:45pm : sleep

Sat-Sun
4:30 - 6am: gym
7am - 12pm: study
and chill the rest of the day
That is insane. Mad respect from me dude.