AMA wants increases in medical school class sizes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fantasy Sports

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2005/03/14/prl10314.htm

What's interesting is that there was predicted to be a surplus of physicians a few years back... I wonder what gives?

In any case, boosting medical school enrollment, especially if targetted, is a good way to even out the competitive disparities in attending an in-state medical school by disproportionately increasing seats in certain states (CA, NY) and in states with rapidly growing populations (TX, FL, AZ, NV, OR).

I know a lot of people might be opposed to boosting enrollment, and I generally am as well, but if you think about it there are X residency slots in the US as it is. All those programs need to fill, whether they be by MDs, DOs, or foreign grads. So regardless, we still have X doctors graduating each year anyway-- its just we will have more MDs graduating in regions that need them in this case.

So it actually seems like a pretty good idea, mainly because we have the residency slots there already.

Members don't see this ad.

Fantasy Sports said:
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2005/03/14/prl10314.htm

What's interesting is that there was predicted to be a surplus of physicians a few years back... I wonder what gives?

In any case, boosting medical school enrollment, especially if targetted, is a good way to even out the competitive disparities in attending an in-state medical school by disproportionately increasing seats in certain states (CA, NY) and in states with rapidly growing populations (TX, FL, AZ, NV, OR).

I know a lot of people might be opposed to boosting enrollment, and I generally am as well, but if you think about it there are X residency slots in the US as it is. All those programs need to fill, whether they be by MDs, DOs, or foreign grads. So regardless, we still have X doctors graduating each year anyway-- its just we will have more MDs graduating in regions that need them in this case.

So it actually seems like a pretty good idea, mainly because we have the residency slots there already.

These are states where the hispanic population is growing very fast so I can see the need to increase the #s.