AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
D1 here who is on the HPSP - I’ve had a few classmates come up and ask me about doing the military programs in the last two weeks - unfortunately, for some of the branches, it is too late for them to grab a scholarship as the deadline to submit an application has passed.

So I figured I’d try to answer any questions anyone here on the board has/raise awareness about it now, and that way, you can get a head start on applying for next year’s scholarships if you are interested.

If you have any questions about the HPSP/application process, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Why do you insist on keeping that ridiculous and horrific avatar picture?

Reactions: 1 users
How important is credit?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For HPSP:
What's a general timeline for applying? Is is more like June 1st> talk to recruiter or December 1st> talk to recruiter?
Do you think being prior enlisted boosts my chances of getting the scholarship?
Is it too early (I'm applying 2018) to get in touch with a recruiter* to express interest?

Last edited:
For HPSP:
What's a general timeline for applying? Is is more like June 1st> talk to recruiter or December 1st> talk to recruiter?
Do you think being prior enlisted boosts my chances of getting the scholarship?
Is it too early (I'm applying 2018) to get in touch with a recruit to express interest?

1. They change the timelines every year. I started dental school this year in Aug 2017, and got my scholarship selection in Sep 2016. So I was notified 11 months before starting school of my HPSP selection. In the years before that, people were notified 5 months before starting school (this is the US Air Force I’m talking about). Because of changes like this, I think your best bet is to contact a recruiter now and get a timeline from him/her, since the recruiter will know what the timelines will be like when you apply.

2. Yes absolutely - I know a few people in Army and Navy who were prior enlisted and now are on the HPSP. If you have any questions, I can try to reach out and get them answered for you! Thank you for your service.

3. It is not too early. I contacted my AF recruiter in Jan 2016 for a scholarship selection in Sep 2016, when I started school in Aug 2017. It’s a good thing too because I had a few medical disqualifications that I had to fight hard to get waivers for, so that extra time helped a ton!

Edelman is hope. Edelman is life.

Very important. My recruiter ran my credit soon after our first meeting. They look for adverse credit. No credit is still considered good credit.
Edelman is a dirt cheat like his boyfriend tommy and daddy bill

What is HPSP? Do I have to sell my soul to the military or something in exchange for free school??

What is HPSP? Do I have to sell my soul to the military or something in exchange for free school??
health professions Scholarship program -> serve in the military as a dentist. you get dental school paid for in return for 4 years of active duty and reserve duty following that.

AKA the only way to graduate from a private school unscathed by debt. Unless you have very wealthy parents

AKA the only way to graduate from a private school unscathed by debt. Unless you have very wealthy parents

While you are right that it eliminates the debt burden, there are several other benefits that I value that the HPSP program offers:

1) I wanted to be part of a larger mission, and taking care of those who serve this country is a great way for me to do that. I have always had a lot of respect for people in the military and this seemed like an ideal thing for me to do.

2) I don’t have much interest in dealing with insurance/private practice. It’s just a personal preference. An Army dentist who I spoke with told me her favorite thing every day about coming in to work is that the patient doesn’t have to pay. She renewed her contract for 4 more years after the HPSP contract was done.

3) I like the camaraderie. I spoke with over 15 military dentists (some got out, some stayed in) and they all told me about being stationed overseas or in the US and the sense of camaraderie the team felt towards each other. Dentists would routinely consult each other on cases.

4) I have heard nothing but awesome things about the AEGD and specialty residencies. Since cost of care is covered and since the care is required to maintain dental readiness, you end up getting a ton of experience.

5) Mission trips - this is a nice added feature and I’d love to volunteer for them.

So those are some of the reasons I personally thought it was worth it to join. Military has its drawbacks for sure but I figured this is worth the tradeoff for me.

Reactions: 5 users
While you are right that it eliminates the debt burden, there are several other benefits that I value that the HPSP program offers:

1) I wanted to be part of a larger mission, and taking care of those who serve this country is a great way for me to do that. I have always had a lot of respect for people in the military and this seemed like an ideal thing for me to do.

2) I don’t have much interest in dealing with insurance/private practice. It’s just a personal preference. An Army dentist who I spoke with told me her favorite thing every day about coming in to work is that the patient doesn’t have to pay. She renewed her contract for 4 more years after the HPSP contract was done.

3) I like the camaraderie. I spoke with over 15 military dentists (some got out, some stayed in) and they all told me about being stationed overseas or in the US and the sense of camaraderie the team felt towards each other. Dentists would routinely consult each other on cases.

4) I have heard nothing but awesome things about the AEGD and specialty residencies. Since cost of care is covered and since the care is required to maintain dental readiness, you end up getting a ton of experience.

5) Mission trips - this is a nice added feature and I’d love to volunteer for them.

So those are some of the reasons I personally thought it was worth it to join. Military has its drawbacks for sure but I figured this is worth the tradeoff for me.
#merica we have worlds best military and people serving in it

So you would be in the military for four years as a dentist? Do they pay you an additional salary of some sort? You would get shipped around?

Can I see your face

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also what is the deadline to apply? Would your only duties be to be a dentist?

In your opinion, is there any reasons a military scholarship or the national health services scholarship is better than the other? Do you think it just comes down to lifestyle preferences?

So you would be in the military for four years as a dentist? Do they pay you an additional salary of some sort? You would get shipped around?

Yes, I owe 4 years.
Yes, I will get paid a salary.
I will get a wishlist where I can write my top choices of bases and then they will try to put me somewhere on that list.

Also what is the deadline to apply? Would your only duties be to be a dentist?

This varies heavily between services and also between each year (see my response in an earlier post to a different applicant).

You can get additional duties on top of being a dentist, just general duties like infection control officer, etc. It’s different for everyone and from what I understand, it’s still a 40 hr workweek in the AF when not deployed.

In your opinion, is there any reasons a military scholarship or the national health services scholarship is better than the other? Do you think it just comes down to lifestyle preferences?

I was looking at the NHSC option too but a) they were very competitive (just like HPSP) and b) in my cycle, I would not have found out about the acceptance until after I started dental school. Meanwhile, the AF was offering to sponsor my education 11 months before I started it, so I happily took that offer.

Both are great programs. NHSC gives more flexibility since you get more say where you want to practice and can negotiate your income with the practice site. The stipend is lower than what military students get though. I’m not sure about opportunities to go overseas with NHSC but that was big for me - I’d like to be in Japan, Germany, etc. and the AF offers that.

Do you mind sharing what university you attend and how is the schedule? Do you feel you have a life outside of dental school?

Can I see your face

Grab a meal with me dude. Get over here!

Do you mind sharing what university you attend and how is the schedule? Do you feel you have a life outside of dental school?

I’m at Pitt and it’s a great school. I think they did a nice job giving us a balanced schedule. I do not feel like it is an overwhelming amount of work - it is very very doable.

I did come in as a science major so maybe that has something to do with it.

To speak to your point about life outside dental school, here’s a picture. Two days ago, I went to a local museum that has artifacts from our military history and spent some time checking it out. I am also in an exercise/fitness class offered by the university. I’m going on a hike with some classmates in a few days too.

Bottom line- it is very doable if you sit down and work hard and yes you will have enough time for hobbies and passions outside of school.

Reactions: 4 users
I know a guy on HPSP at pitt:thinking:

Reactions: 2 users
How did you decide on that avatar picture, and what other pictures did you consider?

You seem like a very intelligent person, but you picked the wrong branch. Navy is where it's at! ;):horns:

Reactions: 6 users
How did you decide on that avatar picture, and what other pictures did you consider?

me: "hmm...how can I make every other NFL fan salty?"
*Edelman's picture pops up*

No turning back.

You seem like a very intelligent person, but you picked the wrong branch. Navy is where it's at! ;):horns:

The AF Academy is hosting the Patriots right now though :p.

Truth is I do think the Navy offers an awesome experience too. One of my friends here is on the Navy HPSP and he is SO pumped to go on an aircraft carrier and I really think he's going to do very well and have a fantastic time in the service.

I'd just rather not be on ships that are running into each other ;)

Do you like pina coladas? Do you like getting caught in the rain

Why did you choose Pitt?

How important is credit?
Speaking for the Navy, all dental officers must maintain at least a SECRET security clearance. But, you will never be read in on classified info. Credit issues are a HUGE red flag for background investigations. I feel like I’ve heard of someone being offered the HPSP but later failing to obtain a clearance so the scholarship was withdrawn.

Big Hoss

Speaking for the Navy, all dental officers must maintain at least a SECRET security clearance. But, you will never be read in on classified info. Credit issues are a HUGE red flag for background investigations. I feel like I’ve heard of someone being offered the HPSP but later failing to obtain a clearance so the scholarship was withdrawn.

Big Hoss

We got Big Hoss in here. Now it's a party!

Why did you choose Pitt?

See quoted post below - I posted this in another thread and I think it's pretty comprehensive.

So many reasons I love this school.

1) LOTS of opportunity to get involved.
  • Volunteer (we've got a special program called SCOPE just for it)
  • Conduct research (several friends of mine got paid $3,000+ to conduct research and learn from faculty over the summer before D1, and then during orientation one of the heads of research came up and strongly encouraged us all to get involved in our educations by participating in research).
  • Dental service trips - planning to go on one my D2 year.
  • Clubs/organizations - ASDA, new ADEA chapter opening, military dental students club, etc.
2) Sooooo many curriculum options. You can personalize your education here.
  • Selectives are courses you can take in nearly every department and they range from extra time in the AEGD clinic to more time in our anesthesiology clinic, etc.
  • ACT ARCO track - if you think you might want to teach.
  • Certificate in public health - totally free, and you get it within your 4 yrs along with your DMD
  • DMD/MPH - again, totally free. Again, within 4 yrs. Competition is tough for this one though. We were told typically only one person gets it.
  • Research options abound (including selectives).
  • Want to work in special needs? We have one of the foremost special needs clinics. People travel to get treated here, it's a really great educational opportunity to contribute to your future patients.
  • Want to get involved in Anesthesiology? Pitt is one of the FEW programs to have this.
3) Awesome awesome awesome resources
  • We get lectures recorded/uploaded online (for the most part).
  • Free tutoring in nearly every subject if you want it.
  • Up to date on tech (have CAD/CAM, etc.)
  • State of the art library system
  • Our computer labs are beautiful.
4) Collaborative school culture
  • Upperclassmen are super helpful. One of my friends, a D4, came in on her SATURDAY NIGHT and spent two hours with me because I was struggling with waxing. That's the kind of culture we have. She looked out for me, and when I'm a D2/D3/D4, I'm going to look out for the D1s. Every single upperclassman I've met is very receptive.
  • We get bigs who are amazing
  • My class has a group chat and we trade study tips, etc. We remind each other of deadlines. We support each other. That's how it should be.
5) Faculty are great and care a ton
  • One of them told us, in the beginning of our lecture series, not to worry or feel overwhelmed, and that we would slowly gain our footing.
  • Several have constantly invited our class to come up to their office and chat with them whenever we want.
6) LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
  • In my first two weeks, I've been to a Steelers (football) game, a Pirates (baseball) game, kayaked on the rivers, biked downtown, and so much more.
  • Very affordable & QUITE SAFE area.
  • Lots of colleges nearby. Gives you opportunities to meet so many people and interact with other grad students too.
  • College football!!
  • Amazing restaurants in the area. Thai, Japanese, American, Indian, Vietnamese, whatever you want.
7) EARLY CLINICAL EXPOSURE
  • Day 1 of dental school and I was learning how to chart on Axium (electronic health record system) and take vitals
  • We get started on clinical rotations from the first week itself.
I hope you enjoyed reading my novel. I certainly enjoyed procrastinating from work and writing it, but alas, it's time to go back to studying now :p

I know you’re a D1 but I heard from some people that the D4’s have no clinical requirements to graduate is this true? Man that is some serious stress reliever

I know you’re a D1 but I heard from some people that the D4’s have no clinical requirements to graduate is this true? Man that is some serious stress reliever

I had asked admissions about this and was told they were redoing the clinical requirements to make them more competency-based, so they definitely exist.

However, I am not sure exactly what those requirements are.

I had asked admissions about this and was told they were redoing the clinical requirements to make them more competency-based, so they definitely exist.

However, I am not sure exactly what those requirements are.

I'm working with a recruiter right now for the Navy. Did you choose the Air Force over the other branches for any specific reason? Also, my recruiter told me that I would only need to serve three years after as long as I didn't take the $20,000 sign on bonus - they would then still pay for the 4 years of school.

I'm working with a recruiter right now for the Navy. Did you choose the Air Force over the other branches for any specific reason? Also, my recruiter told me that I would only need to serve three years after as long as I didn't take the $20,000 sign on bonus - they would then still pay for the 4 years of school.
Your recruiter is mistaken. You will owe a year for a year.

Big Hoss

Your recruiter is mistaken. You will owe a year for a year.

Big Hoss

Interesting. She double checked and assured me that as long as I didn't take the sign on bonus, it would be 3 years. Maybe something has changed?

Interesting. She double checked and assured me that as long as I didn't take the sign on bonus, it would be 3 years. Maybe something has changed?
Are you going to UoP? If not, you’ll owe 4 for 4. The government isn’t going to pay upwards of $100,000 or more for a 4th year and not expect anything back from you. They aren’t hurting to get dentists.

Big Hoss

I got picked up for both the Navy and AF programs. I did not apply Army.

I picked AF because I’ve always had a fascination for planes and loved being near them. I’m the guy who spends his free time playing flight simulator and who asks the pilot if he can visit the A380 flight deck after the flight has reached the gate.

I spoke with several Dentists from both services and honestly would have been thrilled in either program. Kind of a trivial reason, I know.

As for the other topic about your recruiter...

In a way, both big Hoss and your Recruiter are correct.

If you take a $20K bonus, you will owe 4 years regardless of how many years they sponsor your education. So a 3 year HPSP becomes a 4 year obligation.

However, Big Hoss is right that 1 year of sponsorship incurs 1 year of payback.

Your recruiter would be right in that you’d have a 3 year payback if you took a 3 year HPSP and didn’t take the bonus.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
health professions Scholarship program -> serve in the military as a dentist. you get dental school paid for in return for 4 years of active duty and reserve duty following that.

Do u have to go to war? Like on the field? With guns and stuff? I’m seriously asking

Do u have to go to war? Like on the field? With guns and stuff? I’m seriously asking

It’s the military and I am expecting that I will deploy at some point, maybe multiple times and yes, the deployment can happen in war zones. Safety isn’t guaranteed.

Dentists are assigned to provide care at the bases (and if need be, triage incoming casualties in the event of something big).

That's interesting that you mention your credit score is important. I'm applying for HPSP this year and my recruiter hasn't mentioned anything about it, do you think I should check my credit score? What is considered bad credit?

That's interesting that you mention your credit score is important. I'm applying for HPSP this year and my recruiter hasn't mentioned anything about it, do you think I should check my credit score? What is considered bad credit?
You don’t need to check your credit score. You know if you’ve had credit/financial issues. Do you have debt collectors calling you at all hours of the day? No? Then you’re probably fine.

Big Hoss

What about no credit?

That’s good credit. You’re fine.

Credit score doesn’t matter. Credit history does. They probably already ran your credit and it came up fine. Bad credit is an adverse credit history - defaulting on multiple loans, collections etc.

After finishing the 3 or 4 years of active reserve, I heard you have to apply for a residency. Can I apply for civilian residencies or would I have to apply for an air force residency?

After finishing the 3 or 4 years of active reserve, I heard you have to apply for a residency. Can I apply for civilian residencies or would I have to apply for an air force residency?

Hmm so to clarify, there are 3 parts to HPSP contract:

1) Sponsored during school
2) Active duty payback
3) Inactive ready reserve

It is in my contract that I must apply for an AEGD after dental school, and if selected, I must accept the AEGD offer. The AEGD does not apply towards payback. I’m fine with this since I want to do an AF AEGD no matter what.

You can apply to civilian specialty residencies if you receive approval from the Air Force - done on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
For the Navy you have to apply for an AEGD, but you are given the agency to accept or deny if selected for one.

Do you have the option to choose between the old retirement system and the new one?

I believe that because of my year of entry, I am going to be enrolled in the BRS (and will not have access to the old system) which is fine - I think I’d prefer BRS anyways since it gives me more flexibility in terms of what I want to do with my career and removes a little bit of the “golden handcuffs.”

I've applied to the Army's HPSP, but wondering if I could apply to AF and Navy as well? Do branches look down on those that apply to multiple branches (will I have a better shot at just sticking with the Army)?

I've applied to the Army's HPSP, but wondering if I could apply to AF and Navy as well? Do branches look down on those that apply to multiple branches (will I have a better shot at just sticking with the Army)?

Apply with as many branches you feel comfortable with/interested in.
My Army recruiter lost interest in me when he learned I was applying with all three branches. Oh well.
My other recruiters were fine with it.

I believe you are not required to apply for PGY-1

That icon under your name looks amazing man.