Ambulatory Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrIntricate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that ambulatory care is an extremely popular residency right now. Can anyone tell me why and what it entails? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Ambulatory care is very popular for a number of reasons, but one that stands out is the ability to see and care for patients in your own clinic (coumadin, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, etc). In many places, like at the VA where I did an ambulatory rotation during residency, as long as the primary care provider refers the patient to your clinic, you can make changes to dosages for agents, or add or discontinue agents at your own discretion. You are allowed to do this under protocol. It is this kind of semi-autonomy that draws many pharmacists to this area of practice.

It's the sense of independence that draws lots of Rphs to ambulatory care. I don't have a rotation in AC, but I have friends in it and they love it. They can adjust regimens/doses at will without having to first get clearance from the MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in a career in ambulatory care. I have a question-
Do you have to do a residency in General Practice before doing a residency in Am Care? Or can you go straight into the AM Care program without the Gen Practice?

There are PGY1 residencies that have a focus on Amb. Care.

Ambulatory care is very popular for a number of reasons, but one that stands out is the ability to see and care for patients in your own clinic (coumadin, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, etc). In many places, like at the VA where I did an ambulatory rotation during residency, as long as the primary care provider refers the patient to your clinic, you can make changes to dosages for agents, or add or discontinue agents at your own discretion. You are allowed to do this under protocol. It is this kind of semi-autonomy that draws many pharmacists to this area of practice.

I loved my VA ambulatory rotation. I would like to do more of that type of stuff in the future. Might apply there for that type of job someday.

We had to run changes by the attending of the clinic before we made major changes in polypharmacy clinic, but had free reign in coumadin clinic.

There are PGY1 residencies that have a focus on Amb. Care.

Thanks for the info. I think that is what I might do. Seems like a very interesting area to get into.

Anyone have any info about the Am Care residencies? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

hi! i am also interestered in amcare, but i do have some questions regarding its establishment. if i want to have my own amcare pharmacy, how exactly would i go about to have primary care providers refer patients to my clinic? also, what about the payment process? i'd appreciate it if someone would help me figure this out! Thanks.