Is VA ambulatory care saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just my perspective, but I would say generally that all VA positions are pretty saturated relative to non-VA positions.

I think for which departments are more/less saturated depend on the market/geographic area you are talking about as is true with just about any other industry/field. I think you will find generally too that outpatient roles tend to be much more sought after compared to inpatient roles.
 
To answer your question directly, I would say yes. But I would say they are more on the side of constantly filled. I have had some experience at a VA hospital and after speaking to other outpatient pharmacists, I have learned that many pharmacist start and end their career at the VA because of the work-life balance, level of comfort and amazing benefits.

But if you are truly looking for ambulatory care pharmacy and federal hospital, consider the Indian Health Services (IHS), they are constantly recruiting pharmacist (of course in certain geographical locations).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes. The VA as a whole is a hard system to get into if you are not already a federal employee/intern or resident. All federal jobs give preference to veterans and current employees. There are occasional openings and you can check those on USAjobs.gov (I think?). If you are a new graduate, I would agree with ^ & suggest looking at IHS as a stepping stone if there are no openings you qualify for. GS-11 may employ new pharmacists. GS-12 and higher typically require experience.

I know a few people working for VA/IHS. All of the VA people were either residents, VA techs, or had connections. IHS is more open - and that's because you need to be willing to live in the middle of nowhere on reservations.
 
If you do a VA am care PGY2 and you are willing to move to another VA, you will likely get an am care job.