Ambulatory vs. inpatient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang sally

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thread in the pharmacy forum made me think of this. In my state I have noticed that the residencies are either ambulatory care, or inpatient with a strong focus on ambulatory care. Now I know that the two are not exactly interchangeable, but I'm wondering if it is the norm to apply to both ambulatory care and inpatient residencies, seeing as how there seems to be so much overlap, at least around here. Or is this something that would be frowned upon by residency directors? I really loved my am care rotation and I could see things going either way for me at this point!

Members don't see this ad.

The thread in the pharmacy forum made me think of this. In my state I have noticed that the residencies are either ambulatory care, or inpatient with a strong focus on ambulatory care. Now I know that the two are not exactly interchangeable, but I'm wondering if it is the norm to apply to both ambulatory care and inpatient residencies, seeing as how there seems to be so much overlap, at least around here. Or is this something that would be frowned upon by residency directors? I really loved my am care rotation and I could see things going either way for me at this point!

Programs won't know what other places you apply unless you choose to tell them.

Personally I don't think there is always much overlap between inpatient and amb care residency programs. Where I did my residency, amb care was offered as a rotation, but not required. Some inpatient programs may require one rotation or something longitudinal.

If you aren't sure you could always choose an inpatient program that gives the option for doing multiple rotations in amb care. Otherwise if you are set on amb care, you can try to find a residency that emphasizes that.

Go VA. Ambulatory care is big there. My residency had a core 3 months of ambulatory care in addition to the usual 3 inpatient core rotations, then you got 4 electives. So it was easy to customize it focus on the area of your interest.

Telling them that you are trying to explore whether ambulatory care or acute care clinical route is the better fit won't handicap you during the interview. 2 out of 4 residents during my residency flip flopped their preferences during the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with going to programs that could possibly offer both. Throughout pharmacy school, I was dead set on inpatient pharmacy. But now during my residency, I see that I tend to enjoy ambulatory care more. I noticed this trend during my student rotations, but I didn't put too much thought into it. I am glad that I ended up at the place that offers rotations in both areas because some places that I applied to were strictly inpatient. So I would recommend looking at places with rotations in am care and inpatient because a lot can change within the year of residency. I agree with xiphoid that VA's are a great choice. I am not at VA but one of my friend's is and she absolutely loves it.

Last edited: