AMCAS AP Credit Course Titles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lake_Front

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried looking this up on previous threads, but saw several different answers and wasn't exactly sure. I am inputting my coursework into AMCAS and noticed that for several AP credits, for example AP English, it is listed as ENGCMPTC 101X and the course title simply says "Departmental" since I only got departmental credit for it and it didn't transfer as a specific course.

Would I simply mark the box for it being AP credit and list the following:
Course Number - ENGCMPTC 101X
Course Name - Departmental (?)
Course Classification - English
Credit Hours - 3
Transcript Grade - Blank
Lecture Only (?)

Also, if I got AP Credit for Gen Chem as well as Gen Chem Lab I/II, I would categorize "Gen Chem" and lecture only and the "Gen Chem Lab" as lab only, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add, there are several different AP courses that have their course name listed as "Departmental" so I wasn't sure if this would cause any kind of problem.

Just to add, there are several different AP courses that have their course name listed as "Departmental" so I wasn't sure if this would cause any kind of problem.
It is what it is. What is your alternative? If you submit anything other than what is on your transcript, how are they supposed to verify it?

End of the day, it doesn't really matter. It's just about accounting for all the credits on your transcript, and maybe showing schools you've met prereqs if they accept AP credits, since none of this will impact your calculated GPAs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I was more referring to the fact if I would have to say "AP English: Departmental" or something of that nature of clarify it since multiple AP courses transferred in as just "Departmental". However, they did have a different course number.

And it is appropriate to list "lecture only" or "lab only" based on what I believe the 'transfer course' covered, right? Obviously "Gen Chem Lab I" would be lab only, but for "Introduction to Biology" credit, I was still required to take Intro Bio lab my Freshman year. So this would be "lecture only"?

Oh, I was more referring to the fact if I would have to say "AP English: Departmental" or something of that nature of clarify it since multiple AP courses transferred in as just "Departmental". However, they did have a different course number.

And it is appropriate to list "lecture only" or "lab only" based on what I believe the 'transfer course' covered, right? Obviously "Gen Chem Lab I" would be lab only, but for "Introduction to Biology" credit, I was still required to take Intro Bio lab my Freshman year. So this would be "lecture only"?
Yes. You should map what they gave you credit for to what is listed in your course catalog. Does you school break out Intro to Bio into a lecture and lab, or is it one combined course? If it's one combined course, did you receive all 4 credits, or only 3?

Yes. You should map what they gave you credit for to what is listed in your course catalog. Does you school break out Intro to Bio into a lecture and lab, or is it one combined course? If it's one combined course, did you receive all 4 credits, or only 3?
They break courses up into lecture and lab so based on your response, I would just be putting down "lecture only" since I didn't receive any lab credit for it. Thank you!

And to clarify again, it would be alright if I listed multiple AP transfers with the same course name of just "Departmental" then as it appears on my transcript?

Reactions: 1 user
They break courses up into lecture and lab so based on your response, I would just be putting down "lecture only" since I didn't receive any lab credit for it. Thank you!

And to clarify again, it would be alright if I listed multiple AP transfers with the same course name of just "Departmental" then as it appears on my transcript?
Yes, if you don't, it will make the verifier's head explode, and your verification will be held up while AAMC has to clean up the mess and find a replacement verifier. :)

The fact is, you don't have a specific course name to provide because your school is not giving you credit for a specific course. This would actually work to your advantage if you wanted to retake any of these classes because, in that case, you wouldn't have to mark them as repeats! As I said before, it's all good and the only point of the exercise is to move credits from your transcripts over to your AMCAS application.

It's not going impact your GPA, and almost every school that accepts AP credits also requires you to have upper level coursework in the subject, so not having the course name read "Bio I" isn't going to matter to anyone. Schools will see you have 3 departmental AP credits in bio, and they will know exactly what that means.

Reactions: 1 user