AMCAS AP Credit Exempt Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, my AP exam scores were able to give me six university course credits (equivalent to 24 semester hours), allowing me to basically get credit and place out of six intro-level university courses including history, calculus, and English. On my official transcript, each of the six courses are clearly listed along with credit earned and a grade of "AP". However, my university only allows 2 AP credits (2 courses - 8 semester hours) to apply towards our graduation credit total.

So for my verified AMCAS, all six individual courses are labeled "exempt", and AMCAS provided a separate entry simply saying "AP credit" and 2 official transcript units (or 8 semester hours) next to it. Will this cause problems at schools? I am planning on using my AP credit to satisfy all calculus requirements. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, my AP scores managed to place me out of six semester-based courses (6 university units, which is equivalent to 24 semester units) at my university. But only 2 university units can apply towards the number of units needed to graduate. Because of this, AMCAS included 2 university units of "unassigned AP credit" on my verified app.

Basically, my AP scores managed to place me out of six semester-based courses (6 university units, which is equivalent to 24 semester units) at my university. But only 2 university units can apply towards the number of units needed to graduate. Because of this, AMCAS included 2 university units of "unassigned AP credit" on my verified app.
Yes, but all 6 of the courses are listed as having been taken - your transcript shows that you learned the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but all 6 of the courses are listed as having been taken - your transcript shows that you learned the material.

That is correct. It is shown on my official transcript and AMCAS app. Though on the AMCAS app, EXEMPT appears next to those six semester-based courses (two English, two calculus, two history), and 2 unassigned AP credits are listed below.

But I've heard that med schools don't count courses listed as "exempt"?

That is correct. It is shown on my official transcript and AMCAS app. Though on the AMCAS app, EXEMPT appears next to those six semester-based courses (two English, two calculus, two history), and 2 unassigned AP credits are listed below.
I know...I was not asking you a question. I'm stating that, while you should check with the individual schools, credits are not as much an issue as the fact that your transcript demonstrates that you have taken these courses/have demonstrated that you learned the subjects.

But I've heard that med schools don't count courses listed as "exempt"?
Count as what?
Check with the individual schools regarding fulfillment of their prereqs. At least you are lucky enough that your school gives you ANY recognition for your APs.

Count as what?
Check with the individual schools regarding fulfillment of their prereqs. At least you are lucky enough that your school gives you ANY recognition for your APs.

All the med schools I am applying to accept AP credit for their math/calculus requirements.

Does your transcript show you as having earned credits for the AP classes?

Yes it does. The transcript shows those six courses in exactly the same manner as it shows all the courses I've taken at the university. But instead of an actual letter grade, it simply says "AP" for the grade received.

However, the transcript also includes a line that says "not all AP credits can count towards graduation". On the registrar website, only 2 AP credits (8 semester unitis) can count towards graduation, so AMCAS included two unassigned AP credits (G) on my verified app in addition to marking "Exempt" next to all my listed AP courses.

They explained their transcript quite thoroughly above.
Their AP courses are ALL listed as 'exempt' - aka there are no credits assigned to any individual AP course.
They then have a separate credit entry to show that they earned a max of 2 generic credits from APs.
All the med schools I am applying to accept AP credit for their math/calculus requirements.
Then what is your concern? That is the only part that matters.

And to further confirm what you stated here:
Harvard premed advising site said:
The AP examination in Calculus BC (with a score of 4 or 5) satisfies this requirement at most medical schools; a score of 4 or 5 on the Calculus AB exam often counts for one half-year of college mathematics. [Note, however, that only scores of 5 count towards Advanced Standing eligibility.] AP preparation counts toward the math requirement at most medical schools whether or not one opts for Advanced Standing, so this should not influence one’s Advanced Standing decision.
I honestly don't see what you are even concerned about if you know that your APs will be accepted as prerequisites. You are asking a question for which you clearly already know the answer...so why ask?

Reactions: 1 user
They explained their transcript quite thoroughly above.
Their AP courses are ALL listed as 'exempt' - aka there are no credits assigned to any individual AP course.
They then have a separate credit entry to show that they earned a max of 2 generic credits from APs.

Then what is your concern? That is the only part that matters.

And to further confirm what you stated here:

I honestly don't see what you are even concerned about if you know that your APs will be accepted as prerequisites. You are asking a question for which you clearly already know the answer...so why ask?

I am wondering that since my AP courses are all listed as "exempt" on my AMCAS app, that some med schools might not consider these AP credits as valid.

I got mixed messages from the OP, and wanted to be clear. As long as the university has assigned credit on the transcript then you're fine. Some schools won't accept AP credits for prereqs though, so do your research.

"Exempt" isn't an issue provided you have credits assigned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mixed messages from the OP, and wanted to be clear. As long as the university has assigned credit on the transcript then you're fine. Some schools won't accept AP credits for prereqs though, so do your research.

I apologize for not being clear.

Yes, both the official transcript and AMCAS verified app shows six college courses that are the result of AP credit. However, on the AMCAS verified app, the classification of "exempt" appears next to all six courses.

Regarding the bolded statement; my university does not assign which of the two AP units count towards graduation because it simply doesn't matter. Students need 40 credits to graduate, and AP credits can give you a maximum of 2 credits towards that 40. So it doesn't matter which two AP credits when you have a bunch.

Sounds like you already know the answer. If the schools you are applying to accept AP credit then it's fine, don't trip.

I apologize for not being clear.

Yes, both the official transcript and AMCAS verified app shows six college courses that are the result of AP credit. However, on the AMCAS verified app, the classification of "exempt" appears next to all six courses.

Regarding the bolded statement; my university does not assign which of the two AP units count towards graduation because it simply doesn't matter. Students need 40 credits to graduate, and AP credits can give you a maximum of 2 credits towards that 40. So it doesn't matter which two AP credits when you have a bunch.

What do the course names say on the verified AMCAS? Does it say "AP Credit: Calculus II" or similar?

My transcript shows the following (1 credit = 4 semester units):

Math 101: 1 credit earned, grade = AP
Math 102: 1 credit earned, grade = AP
English 101: 1 credit earned, grade = AP
English 102: 1 credit earned, grade = AP

My transcript also says the following "Not all AP credits count towards graduation"

Here is what AMCAS says:

Math 101: no credit, grade = AP (Exempt)
Math 102: no credit, grade = AP (Exempt)
English 101: no credit, grade = AP (Exempt)
English 102: no credit, grade = AP (Exempt)
AP credit: 2 credits (aka unassigned AP credits)

AMCAS doesn't list "credits" really. It lists "OT hours," "Sem Hours," "OT Grade," and "AMCAS Grade." Are you saying that your verified AMCAS lists 0 hours for all of those entries, and you have a total of 2.0 hours for "AP Credit"?

AMCAS doesn't list "credits" really. It lists "OT hours," "Sem Hours," "OT Grade," and "AMCAS Grade." Are you saying that your verified AMCAS lists 0 hours for all of those entries, and you have a total of 2.0 hours for "AP Credit"?

For AMCAS, the OT hours, semester hours, AMCAS grade are all blank for those listed courses. It does include "AP" for OT grade because that's what it appears on my transcript.

For the two unassigned AP credit, AMCAS says "advanced placement" for course name, "AP" for course type, "2" for OT hours (though the conversion to semester hours is not present), "AP" for OT grade, and "G" for AMCAS grade

Basically, verified AMCAS indicates six courses in which I received "AP" grade (but with an exempt status and zero credit and no AMCAS grade). The two unassigned AP credits have everything but converted semester hours.

I think that based solely on the information provided by AMCAS (med schools don't look at transcripts), adcoms should be able to see that I have credit for calculus.

Huh. My AMCAS lists OT Credits for all of the AP courses. I thought that was necessary for it to "count" for a prereq.

Huh. My AMCAS lists OT Credits for all of the AP courses. I thought that was necessary for it to "count" for a prereq.

My transcript lists OT credits for all six of my AP courses, but because only 2 can count towards graduation, AMCAS decided to delete all the OT credits and add their own unassigned AP credit for two OT credits!

Your school probably don't have a limit on how many AP credits can count towards your graduation credit limit. My school does, and my transcript explicitly says "not all credits may count towards graduation". That must be why AMCAS did what it did.

That might be an issue. I suggest you call them first thing tomorrow morning and talk to them about it.

I didn't submit an academic change/request form, would that be a problem?

I think this is what AMCAS was thinking. Even though my transcript lists six credited AP courses, it also states that not all credits can apply towards graduation. So AMCAS decided to take away all six credits and add two unassigned credits at the bottom of my transcript, indicating that I received 2 credits for AP (the max allowed at my school), and that these 2 credits can apply towards any AP course.

Exempt means that no credits were assigned, but mastery of course content was demonstrated and someone was able to 'skip' the course and take an upper level...it's in AMCAS 'special cases'.
OP's issue is that their school assigned them 2 credits towards graduation, but did not assign credit to any specific AP course. Thus, while they got 'credits', and they got to skip the prereqs, none of their AP courses were specifically associated with credits.

Exempt means that no credits were assigned, but mastery of course content was demonstrated and someone was able to 'skip' the course and take an upper level...it's in AMCAS 'special cases'.
OP's issue is that their school assigned them 2 credits towards graduation, but did not assign credit to any specific AP course. Thus, while they got 'credits', and they got to skip the prereqs, none of their AP courses were specifically associated with credits.

I don't think that's correct:

"each of the six courses are clearly listed along with credit earned"
"Does your transcript show you as having earned credits for the AP classes?" "Yes it does."

"My transcript shows the following (1 credit = 4 semester units):

English 102: 1 credit earned, grade = AP"

"Does your transcript show you as having earned credits for the AP classes?" "Yes it does."

Yes, my transcript shows the above, BUT AMCAS changed it during verification. AMCAS took away all the individual credit earned and assigned a status of Exempt to all the specific course listed above and it added two OT units of "unassigned" AP credits. Medical schools only go by what AMCAS sends them.

The problem here is the discrepancy between my official transcript and the AMCAS verification. On my transcript, AP credits are listed in the exact same manner as my regular courses but with an "AP" for the grade.

But will med school consider that as meeting the prerequisite if AP credits are allowed?

But will med school consider that as meeting the prerequisite if AP credits are allowed?
If the med school accepts AP credits, then you are OK as long as you took the AP and scored well on it.
If the med school accepts only credits from your university, then you need to have received credit from your university.
This is not complicated.

Their school capped them at 2 AP credits, though, so their school's transcript is internally inconsistent.
Since it is not clearly indicated which of the 4 APs received the 2 allowed credits, they do not have any credits associated with a specific AP course.

If the med school accepts AP credits, then you are OK as long as you took the AP and scored well on it.
If the med school accepts only credits from your university, then you need to have received credit from your university.
This is not complicated.

What if a school accepts AP credit only if it is listed on your transcript and verified by AMCAS?

Their school capped them at 2 AP credits, though, so their school's transcript is internally inconsistent. Since it is not clearly indicated which of the 4 APs received the 2 allowed credits, they do not have any credits associated with a specific AP course.

This is EXACTLY it! Hopefully medical schools are awareness of this situation.

I'll post two screenshots later. One showing my transcript, the other the verified AMCAS.

Here we go! The top image is my official transcript. The bottom is my verified AMCAS app.

Attachments

• Transcript and AMCAS Screenshot.docx
    504.1 KB · Views: 76
What if a school accepts AP credit only if it is listed on your transcript and verified by AMCAS?
Then they do not accept AP credit, they accept your undergrad institution's credit.

Then they do not accept AP credit, they accept your undergrad institution's credit.

I DID receive 2 credits (instead of 6) from my institute as a result of AP, so does that mean I am fine? Again, 1 credit = 4 semester units.

Last edited:
There are schools that do not accept AP credit for pre req's. Was there another question?

YES! Would you please take a look at my attached transcript/AMCAS verification app?

My official transcript lists 6 college courses that got AP credit for. But only 2 of them can count towards graduation's credit requirement. Because of this, AMCAS gave me 2 unassigned AP credits and marked all 6 courses as exempt.

Their school capped them at 2 AP credits, though, so their school's transcript is internally inconsistent.
Since it is not clearly indicated which of the 4 APs received the 2 allowed credits, they do not have any credits associated with a specific AP course.
Yes, this is the problem. I also feel like it's odd that AMCAS did not enter a value for Sem Hours on the verified coursework. Shouldn't they have put an 8 there? They converted your "1" OT hours to 4 semester hours.

@Sean Lee right now your AMCAS coursework does not list earned credit for calculus, it lists an exemption. Because of the way AMCAS has converted your school transcript it is not clear that you in fact received credit for all six AP courses. I would anticipate this being an issue when attempting to fulfill a school's calculus requirement using your AP coursework.
This is not complicated.
It was my impression that schools accepting AP credit only did so if it were listed as credit on AMCAS (i.e. if your university actually gave you credit for the score.) I realize acceptees send final transcripts directly to schools before matriculating, but I wasn't aware any medical school would accept an AP score without university-granted credit in place of a prereq course.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, this is the problem. I also feel like it's odd that AMCAS did not enter a value for Sem Hours on the verified coursework. Shouldn't they have put an 8 there? They converted your "1" OT hours to 4 semester hours.

@Sean Lee right now your AMCAS coursework does not list earned credit for calculus, it lists an exemption. Because of the way AMCAS has converted your school transcript it is not clear that you in fact received credit for all six AP courses. I would anticipate this being an issue when attempting to fulfill a school's calculus requirement using your AP coursework.

It was my impression that schools accepting AP credit only did so if it were listed as credit on AMCAS (i.e. if your university actually gave you credit for the score.) I realize acceptees send final transcripts directly to schools before matriculating, but I wasn't aware any medical school would accept an AP score without university-granted credit in place of a prereq course.

Yeah...I may have to contact AMCAS and talk about this. If I were to request an academic change, will this slow down my application? Do I have to get verified again?

I've already received 5 secondaries...

YES! Would you please take a look at my attached transcript/AMCAS verification app?

My official transcript lists 6 college courses that got AP credit for. But only 2 of them can count towards graduation's credit requirement. Because of this, AMCAS gave me 2 unassigned AP credits and marked all 6 courses as exempt.
It looks like you will need to consult with each school you are interested in that does not accept AP credit (for pre reqs) to see if you are eligible for an interview. Sorry.

Yeah...I may have to contact AMCAS and talk about this. If I were to request an academic change, will this slow down my application? Do I have to get verified again?

I've already received 5 secondaries...
When were you verified? The 2015 AMCAS Instructions state:
2015 AMCAS Instructions said:
If you find discrepancies, or you disagree with changes made during the verification process, you are responsible for submitting an Academic Change Request within ten days from the date AMCAS processing is complete.
If you can still submit the request, you will not have to wait through the verification queue again:
AMCAS said:
Allow 5 working days for AMCAS to review and/or process any change request.
Source: https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Academic_Change_Requests.htm

Again, the information I got from the Harvard premedical advising site stated
Harvard advisors said:
The AP examination in Calculus BC (with a score of 4 or 5) satisfies this requirement at most medical schools; a score of 4 or 5 on the Calculus AB exam often counts for one half-year of college mathematics. [Note, however, that only scores of 5 count towards Advanced Standing eligibility.] AP preparation counts toward the math requirement at most medical schools whether or not one opts for Advanced Standing, so this should not influence one’s Advanced Standing decision.
See the bolded - they're saying that regardless of whether you choose to request undergraduate credit for the courses (which they are terming 'Advanced Standing'), the AP score itself counts as Calculus prerequisite for most medical schools.

Granted, that is a 'most' and it's a secondhand source, but I would imagine that they deal with this issue frequently. OP should still check with each school, but I still find it helpful to know the baseline expectations:shrug:

Last edited:
Again, the information I got from the Harvard premedical advising site stated

See the bolded - they're saying that regardless of whether you choose to request undergraduate credit for the courses (which they are terming 'Advanced Standing'), the AP score itself counts as Calculus prerequisite for most medical schools.
So, to me it seems like they're explaining that a 4 or 5 counts toward the requirement because it often grants one a semester of actual credit at one's undergrad. Furthermore, I think the distinction here is that most medical schools that address the issue refer to AP credit, which is not the same as an AP score. I can get 5's on AP exams but if my undergrad doesn't accept AP I will have zero AP credit.

For example...

Brown:
Brown said:
All AP (or IB) courses that were accepted for course credit at your degree-granting institution will be accepted as fulfilling the requirements listed above if properly noted on the AMCAS application and listed on the AMS secondary application.
Emory:
We will accept some Advancement Placement (AP) credit, as long as it appears on your college transcript.
UCI:
We accept AP credit for Statistics, Calculus, Physics, and English Composition. The AP credit and subject must appear on your college or university official transcript.
UMich:
Yes, AP credits may be used to meet our requirements
Northwestern:
Science AP courses for which an applicant has received course credit at his or her undergraduate degree-granting institution will be considered as fulfilling the pre-medical science course requirements.

Now I admit I could be mistaken here, and those are just easily accessible examples, but I have never seen a medical school refer to AP exam scores, only AP credit, which by definition is granted by one's undergraduate institution.

It looks like you will need to consult with each school you are interested in that does not accept AP credit (for pre reqs) to see if you are eligible for an interview. Sorry.

But does having one ambiguous prerequisite incident mean no interview? To my knowledge, you don't have to complete all prerequisites in order to get an interview.

So, to me it seems like they're explaining that a 4 or 5 counts toward the requirement because it often grants one a semester of actual credit at one's undergrad. Furthermore, I think the distinction here is that most medical schools that address the issue refer to AP credit, which is not the same as an AP score. I can get 5's on AP exams but if my undergrad doesn't accept AP I will have zero AP credit.

For example...

Brown:

Emory:

UCI:

UMich:

Northwestern:

Now I admit I could be mistaken here, and those are just easily accessible examples, but I have never seen a medical school refer to AP exam scores, only AP credit, which by definition is granted by one's undergraduate institution.

The thing is that my transcript clearly shows calculus AP credit, but AMCAS changed some things around and gave me 2 AP credits that can "presumably" go anywhere to the courses indicated?